To add a drain plug or not

Rob Lyons

Gas tank is out, adding new lines and pump. I want to quickly be able to switch fuels and chip, so the question is. Should I go ahead and add the drain plug to the tank to be able to easily drain one type of fuel and add another?

I’ve never seen that done to a fuel tank.
While it sounds convenient, not sure it’s worth the potential leakage and fire hazard.
It’s not difficult to symphon the tank or open the fuel rail shrader valve hook up a hose. Buick installed a fuel pump priming lead under the hood, just run a 12v lead to that plug.

No one I know would NEVER weld a bung in a used gas tank?

Seen it years ago when a friend was welding on a used gas tank after he cleaned and flushed it many times, started welding and the tank went 20' in the air, and he ran like hell! :eek:

I worked at a shop where the owner used run water through the tank all day, then run a hose from a running vehicle to fill the tank with carbon monoxide for an hour or so. He never had one blow up, but I never wanted any part of that process. Not a good idea to weld on a gas tank unless it is brand new.

I've soldered on a couple of mine after draining.

Once drained get a paper towel in there to soak up any gas you can't pour out then flush and swirl with Acetone or Denatured alky. it helps evaporation.

After that let it dry a day or two then flush fill with water and dump it twice.

Put the hose on slow in the bottom and watch the slow moving water out of the tank, when there is no hint of a slick color or residue you're good.

Never an issue for me. You shouldn't smell any residue after cleaning it out.

Pan baffle aftermarket tanks are the easiest.

I wouldn't tap mine for a drain though. :eek:

Use the fuel pump lead under the hood and a hose to the fuel rail to empty the tank.

I worked at a shop where the owner used run water through the tank all day, then run a hose from a running vehicle to fill the tank with carbon monoxide for an hour or so. He never had one blow up, but I never wanted any part of that process. Not a good idea to weld on a gas tank unless it is brand new.

All you have to do is submerge the tank in a tub of water. It'll displace all the fumes.

Of course, you have to have access to a tank that large.

Really guys ?

It’s not that big of a deal. Just use your head and be careful.

Why not just filled the tank with water weld the bung from the outside and drill the hole through the bung later.

Or whatever. If you want a drain plug then put a drain plug.

Nothing about this should be this complicated. Otherwise I’m not sure how anyone could get anything done. Including crossing the street.

Really guys ?

It’s not that big of a deal. Just use your head and be careful.

Why not just filled the tank with water weld the bung from the outside and drill the hole through the bung later.

Or whatever. If you want a drain plug then put a drain plug.

Nothing about this should be this complicated. Otherwise I’m not sure how anyone could get anything done. Including crossing the street.
Yeah have to agree. I had a sump put on my gas tank and it wasn't a big deal then had it powder coated.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 63
ALL BS ASIDE I think it would be nice to have a drain on the fuel tank for your situation wanting to switch fuels
GO FOR IT
it already has holes in it

I want to quickly be able to switch fuels and chip,
so i will ask why?with methanol injection or e85 why go through the trouble.if you want to run race gas just get a fuel cell.its lighter and holds less gas= more weight loss.or you could have 2 seperate tanks and just throw a switch

so i will ask why?with methanol injection or e85 why go through the trouble.if you want to run race gas just get a fuel cell.its lighter and holds less gas= more weight loss.or you could have 2 seperate tanks and just throw a switch
that would be nice!!!
I would just run my tank low and fill up with whatever I want
we have Sunoco right down the street with GT260 which is 105 right at the pump don't know about your area
I guess if was going to do , id,have sump welded in and drain at same time, but like anything the more fittings the more probability for failure/leaks, but like I said there are already welded fittings in it

I would just run my tank low and fill up with whatever I want
we have Sunoco right down the street with GT260 which is 105 right at the pump don't know about your area
if 105 is what you need and you have it at the pump then thats a good fit.run it down and refill.we dont have the race gas at the pump.we have the c12 guys, the c16 guys, the methanol guys, and the e85 guys,and no small mention the pump 93 guys who make crazy power.

It might have already been mentioned but draining the tank is incredibly simple, there is a lead wire near the driver side valve cover that will run the fuel pump, just keep a shcrader tool handy and some rubber hose snugly fit on the rail outlet and drain into whatever you wish-seems like a simpler alternative to putting a drain in the stock tank...

its easier on the pumps when you store things,these fuels dont like sitting unless your running 100 aviation fuel as its mandated for 7 years by the fed.
so guys are really running aviation fuel? :eek: it's octane rating is measured differently they actually have to ratings a lean and a rich
my wife cousin has a little plane he restored re restored , I believe an aviation octane rating of 110 is actually like 160 for automotive and it still has lead in it think 8%