Tire size question.

eagleguy

I like 4 of the same size tires so that I can rotate them at oil changes. What would be the largest size tire on stock size GS / T Type rims that could be used front and back without rubbing or clearance issues? As far as I know 215/65/15 is the stock size. In addition, has anyone used PEP BOYS "Futura" brand tires? It is my understanding they are made by Cooper in the USA. I want solid white lettering out and there aren't many choices. I used to be a fan of BFG's but as of late I have not been that impressed as far as wear and wet traction.

Another important statistic on tires is Treadwear, Traction, and Temperature. Treadwear- a tire that is rated 400 will roughly have twice the mileage of a 200 rating. Traction- A is better than B or C. AA is very soft compound with a low treadwear rating. Temperature- same as traction, A better than B or C. Also you have a speed rating, have to research those since I dont want to lie badly to you. All tires have a date stamp on them indicating when they were made, dont want to buy brand new 7 year old tires. You cant buy a tire that is super sticky and good treadwear. Your car rides on the tires you purchase along with you and your passengers. Buy the best you can afford. If I was not computer stupid, I would attach a link but,,,, Google tire info and you should find some better info. My personal opinion is Michelin tires suck!!! Hope this is helpful.

I like 4 of the same size tires so that I can rotate them at oil changes. What would be the largest size tire on stock size GS / T Type rims that could be used front and back without rubbing or clearance issues? As far as I know 215/65/15 is the stock size. In addition, has anyone used PEP BOYS "Futura" brand tires? It is my understanding they are made by Cooper in the USA. I want solid white lettering out and there aren't many choices. I used to be a fan of BFG's but as of late I have not been that impressed as far as wear and wet traction.

Have run Futura on my Riviera for >15 years. No complaints, good wear in my opinion. One of the best reasonably priced tires out there (white wall and white letter). Rest of my Family has run them as well on their classics. As far a Pepboys - I have (and fam) had zero luck or confidence in the 'many' Pep Boys service centers I've used for service. Fools. I know there has to be one with a respectable service center somewhere. Regardless, after I bought, paid for mount and they could not balance (wtf?). I run over to Discount Tire or Walmart to have the balance done properly. Happened x3s to me for the three sets since 2000. Buy the tires loose and walk quickly away. Don't bother paying for any service, just go to your trusted shop for mount, balance etc.

very important is that if you have GN chrome rims that you let the tire tech guy know that the rim needs to be installed upside down on the tire machine and watch them . i dont care how long he's been doing tires .. make sure he knows this before the wheel goes on the machine ...the tire needs to be installed from the backside of the rim (rim face side down) and they need to use rim clamp cushions to protect the chrome finish on the rim face
failure to realize that our rims are built with the basket reversed and need to be flipped over so the drop down area will be near the top will result in damaged tires and rims and youll have hours of headaches attempting to fix a mistake that could be avoided and your car wont be going anywhere while they try to sort out who messed up and what they can do to get you rolling

Last edited:
Does anyone else use the 235/60 15 combo front and rear with no rubbing issues?
By the way car has the 15" GTA style rims, black basket, chrome trim ring.

I have 235/60/15's in the front on factory T wheels and it rubs slightly on the driver side at full lock only. No problems otherwise. Might be different for GTA rims. You won't have any problems whatsoever running that size on the rears though...except for traction when you get on it :D

I had 225/60/15's on all 4 corners on my old GN. No issues. Not sure if the tires you're considering come in that size though...

Really? I run stock T wheels with 245/60/15 up front on my 87 Limited Turbo T. Even with my saggy, 30yo, stock front suspension I don't rub. If I hit a good dip it may float some, but never rubs. 275/60/15 out back, no rub. On both BFG and Cooper Cobra.

Last edited:
Really? I run stock T wheels with 245/60/15 up front on my 87 Limited Turbo T. Even with my saggy, 30yo, stock front suspension I don't rub. If I hit a good dip it may float some, but never rubs. 275/60/15 out back, no rub. On both BFG and Cooper Cobra.
Thanks for your input.

Car currently has 255/60/15 BFG letters in on the rear with less than 1K but the front 215/65R/15 need to be replaced. I could always have the rears flipped letters out and just buy new fronts but the rotating issue would be void.