Tipping point

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
Is it fair to say that after 30+ years as a Turbo Buick enthusiast I'm not that enthusiastic about Turbo Buicks anymore? I've owned more of these cars than I can count. I've had everything for stockers to race cars and all variants in-between. I've enjoyed the camaraderie, racing, car shows and friendships. I've been thru a few "Getting out of Buicks" moments where I've sold everything off only to start over again a year of so later.

Recently I admitted defeat after being pummeled by the 9 second drag car I hoped to make my street strip car. It left my hopes dashed, my wallet empty and me questioning if I ever knew anything about Turbo Buicks to start with.

It seems times have changed, the bar has been raised, you can buy 9 and 10 second cars right from the showroom with a warranty. Some argue "built vs bought" but I've built plenty of stuff and I have the scars on my hands and a missing finger tip to prove it.

I work as a mechanic, I suppose the novelty has worn off over time. I don't want to have to fix everything I own. Am I just washed up or is this a moment of clarity?

Neal

All of the above.

I am in the same boat. I see what the new cars will do and come to the same conclusion.

My Dad even more so, he is getting to the point where he cant work on his stuff either.

I will never get the T Type to the same level as a Hellcat or a Vette. I can get it close in terms of handling, braking and performance but it is a 32 year old vehicle and the technology just keeps getting better year over year.

I was 16 when Dad bought an 85 GN used. I am 50 now. I say do what you want with the time we have here no matter how long or short.

Whichever way you go Neal you will have friends in the Buick world. Even if I don't have one either.

I say do what you want with the time we have here no matter how long or short.
At 80, I've already gone over "the edge".:D
The T Type/LS is gone, the Turbo T is gone. Still a few parts left, that won't make a pickup load. That's it.
I've "reverted" back to 1959, and the first "fast" car I had....A 55 Chevy sedan.
Fortunately, I'm still able to work on it, and have a 60 yr collection of tools, to do so.
It's my bucket list ride. My daughter's name is on the title.:cool:
Neal, Reggie, come on back to "sane side"!

Welcome to my world ! I call it "been there an done it" :cool: Mid 60's to late 70's was a die hard Ford guy. Cobra Jets, Shelbys , and a 427 Cobra. I hounded my wife foe a long time to get a Cobra. In 1970 all my friends were getting married. Whats the first thing to go ??? Their pride an joy CARs !! They gave em away. Wife said "buy it and sell it". Thats when my "sickness" started. What a ride it was. 1980 walked away from cars. 85 it started all over again with my 86 GN. We all know where that went. Awesome cars that I still like BUT got tired of them. Have the Mazda/Buick and a 427 Cobra (Shelby Continuation car ) . Cobra is cool guy and it's a blast. (my old "roots" coming out) . ummmm funny thing is I am having more fun with the Mazda !! It's a shitbox that moves right along . As years went by I can remember like other guys saying "Oh Ill never sell my car" . Variety is the spice of life. Enjoy life while you can !! Not preaching but being realistic. 50 years old ?? Punk kid :p

Is it fair to say that after 30+ years as a Turbo Buick enthusiast I'm not that enthusiastic about Turbo Buicks anymore? I've owned more of these cars than I can count. I've had everything for stockers to race cars and all variants in-between. I've enjoyed the camaraderie, racing, car shows and friendships. I've been thru a few "Getting out of Buicks" moments where I've sold everything off only to start over again a year of so later.

Recently I admitted defeat after being pummeled by the 9 second drag car I hoped to make my street strip car. It left my hopes dashed, my wallet empty and me questioning if I ever knew anything about Turbo Buicks to start with.

It seems times have changed, the bar has been raised, you can buy 9 and 10 second cars right from the showroom with a warranty. Some argue "built vs bought" but I've built plenty of stuff and I have the scars on my hands and a missing finger tip to prove it.

I work as a mechanic, I suppose the novelty has worn off over time. I don't want to have to fix everything I own. Am I just washed up or is this a moment of clarity?

Neal

I'll sell you my car, 45K and you won't have to do anything.... Promise..
AG.

well im just getting started in the game , and I look up to guys like you and the veterans that have been on this site for along time. I don't want the new stuff and anyone can go buy something out of the show room , its about making it yours and owning a car that was mostly assembled by hand for me , not speed just something that still kicks ass and makes people go what is that (a Monte Carlo LOL). im sure we all will feel the same way you do at some point and there is nothing wrong with that, looking back and saying it was a great run now I need to switch gears and see what the next step is, and what makes you truly happy, whether its cars, family, career, or a new hobby, giving back to people in need or just taking it easy. but don't ever don't yourself and your not washed up just having to re-evaluate what's best for you (a moment of clarity)

After spending close to 15 years playing around with older carb stuff (3rd Gen Novas) the switch to a turbo Buicks, to me, was my "newer car" because it's fuel injected. LOL. I didn't want to get an LS F Body or LS swap an older car...I wanted something unique. My first car was an 81 Monte Carlo so I have a place in my heart for the G Body platform and decided that if you're going to have a G Body you better have the best one ever made.

I get it though. My previous Nova I had for 9 years sat in the garage more than I drove it and when I sold it everyone was really surprised. I just couldn't take messing around with it anymore and it was just too much for the street to cruise around on a regular basis.

Perhaps in another decade I will be over my Turbo Buick fix and on to something else, but for right now I'm just enjoying the ride.

Well, my 2 cent story starts over 45 years with Buicks from my Uncle's 1940 Buick Century with factory dual carbs, and another with another Uncle's 1956 Buick Century later, and then 20 years restoring Skylarks, a couple Boat tail Rivs, early turbo carb regal.

Then 1986 intercooled Regal's/GN's started another era of 32 years owning many Turbo cars and worked about 3000 of them for 32 years.

I am now doing my best to keep my body in shape enough to still "tinker" and "play" with stuff, but my body has gone over a couple "overhauls", and I can change plugs and do the easy stuff, but no more "heavy stuff".

Giving up is NOT in my being, and not giving up still on occasion to compete at the track!

My latest and final street/strip car is under way, and hope it will compete with the current factory hot rods.

What is most cherished above all, is the MANY great friendships across our country, and Canada, that have been a major part of my life.

Us "seniors" must now pass the torch, and be a role model for the new-bees and young guy with our knowledge, experience and ethics.

I am sure guys like Neal, Reggie, Chuck and others will continue to be a part of our community and our lives. :)

I know the feeling. These cars have a way of sucking you back in. I sold mine last year and have really been debating on getting another one. I keep finding more reasons not to go back; I was looking at buying a nice low mile car later this year but I don't know anymore.

You are right on the new stuff. It is stupid easy to make a lot of power, go plop down 45K-70K and drive out with 700+ horsepower.
Technology has been a great thing for horsepower. The new Mustang with the automatic can run high 11's stock. A wide body Hellcat can run high 10's stock. I was ecstatic when my 86 GN (that I bought from you :p) ran 12.80's with just a race chip, race gas, filter and gutted cat on slicks.

I have been having fun with my supercharged 2013 Mustang; it puts down over 550 RWHP on 91 octane and it makes it through a smog check without drama or extra $$$. If I go E85 I can push it over 650 RWHP with relative ease (that's about the limit of the factory connecting rods). On pump gas and a drag radial it should run high to mid-10's.

The Buick still has an air about it compared to other cars. Even though I know my car is quick I still would question it against some of the TR's lurking around. It also does not have that 'special' feeling of the Buicks that I had. If someone stole my Mustang, I could literally go out the next day and replace it with ease, not so much with the Buicks.

at 70, I feel the wear and tear the yrs have taken, ( no regrets) but to me its therapy,
I enjoy going in to the garage, and working on my junk, I have thinned the herd.
now just the 57 chevy ( owned over 35yrs) the WE4, close to 20yrs,
and the latest object of my affection 72 skylark GSX clone.
but now realize , limits of my ability,
I've given thought of selling off all the cars, but what do I do then?
wait for the grim reaper to arrive? (NOT!)
its pretty obvious we don't do this to make money LOL,
so .... as long as I have fun, and enjoy it, I'll continue to "play cars"

Oh Neal, knowing how much you've enjoyed these buicks, I doubt you can stop,
cold turkey,

If I may.......

I think the biggest problem many of us have, is we simply are never happy with something just finally being good enough or finished. I have also been a victim of this same disease in the past. But not any longer.

Sure I would like to keep up with what's new and edgy, and to keep up with the new modern factory hot-rods, modernize, continuously go faster, better handling, and make more power. But we all knew from the start 30 years ago that this is a complete impossibility. At least I did.

We sometimes tend to set goals that may be a little too ambitious at times. We fail to look ahead at the obstacles, financial difficulties and time constraints in our real lives. I remember saying that my goal was to build my car as it is today and run 9's by the time I was in my 30's. This never happened, and when it did, I was 10 years behind scheduled.

What happens around you from this point further doesn't matter. Maybe now you should settle for something just YOU can be proud of. Forget the next best thing. That's what fucking brainwashed kids do every time a new I-phone comes out. All I want to do now is enjoy my car. No reason to go further. Just sit back in the drivers seat and cherish what I worked so hard for.

You know if you drive your Turbo Buick, and it looks good, sounds good, and runs great, you are still going to be the envy of many hot rodders and common folk alike. You’re still going to get the thumbs up and you’re still going to get the questions and comments at the car shows, the supermarket, and at the red lights. I never see anyone flagging down Challenger people to talk with them at stoplights. Last fall, I had a county cop speed through traffic just to roll up along side me on the highway to yell over his loud speaker "NICE TURBO BUICK!"

Don’t do it to yourself. don’t put that much emphasis on being the biggest baddest guy around. Just build a nice car that runs good and put a little time into it when you have it. Build what makes you proud and to express how you feel and don’t worry so much.

Even I am no longer interested in the same things I was when I was younger. I'm out of steam and disposable income. But I still wanna drive my car and I hate downtime during the driving season. For this reason I recently purchased some back-up items. But I don’t have any intentions stressing myself on building a new block any time in the foreseeable future. I just hope I can get around to building a back-up before I really need too.

Sometimes just washing it and sitting on a lounge chair looking at it afterwards is all I need to say "today was a good day."

Yeah I get that feeling now and again. Id rather just drive a car than work on it. Fixing equipment for the day job doesn't help when the weekend comes.
However that feeling of accomplishment from building a quick car is something you'll never get from a store bought car. (unless you start adding blowers and turbos. hee hee.)
I don't think my desire to go faster will every go away, might as well keep working on the TRs and keep getting the feeling of yeah, I did that.
Maybe you need a quick GN that doesn't need a lot of work

At 80, the lounge chair is getting more popular, every time I go to the shop!:D
Next, I'll probably have to get 1 of those chairs that put you up, in the standing position.
I'm working on a new design for my creeper, too. It's a "stand u up" model.
At the pace I work at now, finishing the bucket list 55, is going to be a stretch!

I couldn't imagine not working on cars or making them faster it's something I love to do , but I understand where you're coming from especially if you work on them for a living and finding the time to fix them never mind driving and enjoying it.
I've been working on cars (as a hobby) for over 25 yrs and I actually look forward to the next project . Nothing like starting up a new build for the first time and the feeling you get listening to the motor .
We have all been there from blowing up motors to breaking transmissions yeah it sucks but this is part of being a car guy .
Everything breaks new/old so don't get discouraged . As you stated you sold everything only to start over , the reason you started over is because you are a car guy.

If the right deal came along I would jump ship as well. But I like my old girl I remember it scratching second on the test drive when it was brand new!! Id like to finish the build out goal with the ONC stage 2, 4l80, notch, etc etc tho. Theres have a pile of TRs waiting for me to work on them starting this spring so working on them would still keep me in them if I sold mine. Itd have to be a solid middish 9 sec car or better for me to sell. If a clean done right 32-34 GTR came along and it could work id be all over it, when I was stationed in Japan I had a r32 and loved that car and miss it. Or possibly a built CTS v coupe

I’m the newbie here, having to rebuild my motor and very frustrated on the cost of the rebuild looking now around $6000. I pray that’s all, going back stock, but when finished for me it’s not how fast I can go but all the attention this car draws and how random people come and share their history and memories these cars bring so when I finally get to drive my car which I haven’t been able to yet I’m gonna just enjoy it and all new friends I’ll make.

Yes, I am in the same frame of mind as some of the older Buick guys. I satisfied my street car and tinker with it now and then; besides according to AOC gas engines are going to be extinct in the next few years!

Yes, I am in the same frame of mind as some of the older Buick guys. I satisfied my street car and tinker with it now and then; besides according to AOC gas engines are going to be extinct in the next few years!