Timing varies

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
Car, only sometimes runs terrible especially at low speeds and load. I looked at damper with a timing light and sure enuff, the timing at idle/off idle is jerking around. Timing mark pops counter clockwise every few seconds. I figure this is ppotentially dangerous if it happens in boost...as i believe its advancing when it spikes. I have a translator Plus/Extreme. Ive checked all wiring to it, replaced crank sensor., put in another module/coil, "excercised" all the switches in the T+ box. And actually car ran perfect for a few miles, then problem just comes back. Thanks

Disconnect the timing part of the Trans plus and try that test again. Those old translators were notorious for messing with timing.

Car, only sometimes runs terrible especially at low speeds and load. I looked at damper with a timing light and sure enuff, the timing at idle/off idle is jerking around. Timing mark pops counter clockwise every few seconds. I figure this is ppotentially dangerous if it happens in boost...as i believe its advancing when it spikes. I have a translator Plus/Extreme. Ive checked all wiring to it, replaced crank sensor., put in another module/coil, "excercised" all the switches in the T+ box. And actually car ran perfect for a few miles, then problem just comes back. Thanks
Unplug (unbolt) the harness which plugs into ingnition module/coil pack. Look at female contacts especially the white timing wire on far end of the connector. If the contact box looks distorted, damaged or has a bigger gap you found the problem. I have had to replace that connector for the exact same problem.

Will try both, and i imagine if i pulled up or down on harness that may isolate it to harness termiinal.. Earl if just disconnecting the timing harness fixes problem, does that mean i need a new Trans box? Thanks

Well hell yea...wiggling module harness causes it to start messin up.! Ill tweek pins and female slots and should be done.

Earl if just disconnecting the timing harness fixes problem, does that mean i need a new Trans box? Thanks

It means you need to leave the timing connector unplugged and adjust timing with the chip. Is it really worth risking the engine at WOT? Could you imagine the carnage if you get a 1/2 second blast of an extra 10* at full honk?

Oh well...nothing i do helps it. I also un taped wiring near the terminal...all is in great shape. I put small bends on each male terminal end to try and tighten connections, also got a small pic and tensioned female cotacts...nothing helps.

Replaced ecm. So theres nothing left to replace except the Translator box . If the box is tapped on , engine does balk...but thats a pretty lame test and and may not mean anything. But, tapping on the crystal oscillator (small tin component with 2 connections to circuit board) does cause engine to almost quit. I know this part supplies a frequency for the electronics to run on. So im gonna try and soarce that 1 part. So tired of the problems never being tangible/easy. Does anyone know if this is a common problem for Translators? Again, it does do it with timing connection un-hooked.

your issue is not common. If you send the translator in I will fix it up at no charge.

timing is looked up in a 3d table with RPM and "Load" as the axes. "Load" is essentially MAF/RPM, so if there is an issue with the MAF signal the timing can jump around.

try wiggling the connections at where the translator plugs into the MAF harness, the factory plug terminals can lose tension with heat and age.

Bob

Bob, thanks so much. I did find an oxidised terminal at MAF (pink wire) ..i cleaned it and no help. Only time car responded to anything was after i unplugged/plugged back in all T+ terminals. It ran great for about 25 miles. So ive re-clicked all connectors and tugged on them too...but nothing helps. Ill re inspect that dirty terminal.

MAF terminal is clean., as well as all other contacts. I tugged on all wires, tapped on maf...no change.

still stumbles if you tap on the unit? if so you should probably send it in.

Bob

TurboBob walked me thru alot of procedures that eliminated it being a bad Translator/Chip/MAF/ Module. BUT ALAS....damn car still has problem. Same exact symptoms of timing jerking and tip in stumble. This stumble also exhibits with unloaded engine. I have a Caspers K whistle and have wondered if it could be causing the ecm to be throwing timing signals off, but this seems to be a stretch. Not anything left to check tho. Any help appreciated.