Timing Chain Questions

Cryptic

I need to get my timing chain replaced as it's still factory and makes me nervous every time I drive the car now. I've done some reading up and research but since search is broken and the site is a little flaky now and then I thought I would post a new thread.

• Anything else I should have done while I'm "in there?"
    • My understanding is I should go ahead and replace the water pump and timing cover/oil pump while I'm in there? Is this recommended? Am I missing anything?
  • What type of timing chain should I use?
    • My longterm goal is to get the car into the low 11's or high-to-mid 10's
    • I have a spare stock set of heads, intake manifold and throttle body I am considering getting ported: for these types of numbers should I or would it be a waste?
    • If I do get the above ported, should I also change out the cam?
    • If so, how will changing the cam affect my timing chain choice?
Sorry for the flurry of questions and I appreciate everyone's time.

Mostly stock engine and got all stock pieces when replacing at 130k miles. Not one chip out of the nylon gear but would of used the metal one if that was all I could find. Just a slight bit of wear where the cam button rides so just used the new roller bearing one. New water pump, why not and mark your cover bolts because some pass through into the water jacket and put sealer on those. Locktite on the chain tensioner bolt. Cam sensor tool from Kirban's or whoever will make life easier. And if lucky won't have to drop the crossover to get the pan out. Gentle with the crank sensor too. The crank bolt is a pita if you don't have a powerful enough compressor with impact wrench. Took about 9-10 hours but I work slow and real anal about the details. Take your time and you'll be good to go.

The factory timing cover is the best if your oil pump is in good condition. I did a stock nylon coated one last time but have the metal set up on hand as well as another nylon coated one. For the next replacement as we are at 177k miles. Don't let the while you are there get the best of you.
As far as porting the iron 8445 I think the money is better spent on a pair of after market heads. Not that cleaning up and port matching a stock set isn't decent. My feeling is it is better spent on a better flowing set that also take weight off. Then when you have the coin those can be ported and polished for even more flow.

The factory timing cover is the best if your oil pump is in good condition. I did a stock nylon coated one last time but have the metal set up on hand as well as another nylon coated one. For the next replacement as we are at 177k miles. Don't let the while you are there get the best of you.
As far as porting the iron 8445 I think the money is better spent on a pair of after market heads. Not that cleaning up and port matching a stock set isn't decent. My feeling is it is better spent on a better flowing set that also take weight off. Then when you have the coin those can be ported and polished for even more flow.

I’m assuming that you’d recommend the aluminum Champion heads? Would heads be recommended for the type of goals I’m trying to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The heads and/or intake do not have to come off to do a timing chain. With a stock cam, go back with a stock nylon coated timing set. They last over 100,000 miles or 30 years, which ever comes first.

While the cover is off, do my oil porting mods since it's free efficiency. Replace the water pump with a lifetime unit from a parts store since they're so cheap.

The trick with the tight bolt on the crank snout is to clamp a pair of vice grips on the flex plate and it'll hold the engine still while you're pulling on the cheater bar.

You'll need an oil change, magnetic drain plug, new oil filter, and a fel pro TCS45930 gasket kit

The heads and/or intake do not have to come off to do a timing chain. With a stock cam, go back with a stock nylon coated timing set. They last over 100,000 miles or 30 years, which ever comes first.

While the cover is off, do my oil porting mods since it's free efficiency. Replace the water pump with a lifetime unit from a parts store since they're so cheap.

The trick with the tight bolt on the crank snout is to clamp a pair of vice grips on the flex plate and it'll hold the engine still while you're pulling on the cheater bar.

You'll need an oil change, magnetic drain plug, new oil filter, and a fel pro TCS45930 gasket kit

I appreciate the advice! Do you have a good link to the mods how-to?

And I realize on the heads/intake. Just thinking how they might be related to the cam down the line and if that would change recommendations on the chain.

I'll just put my 2 cents in....... Cam Tool come's from Casper's . That's where I got mine. Good tool to have & fairly inexpensive.

Is the stock nylon coated timing set still available ? I thought is was discontinued.
Earl do you still sell completed covers ?

My car has 53K but original chain...thinking about going in this spring

Is the stock nylon coated timing set still available ? I thought is was discontinued.

I’m in the same boat. 68k miles but original chain. I can’t imagine that after 33 years that nylon is still in great shape.

11 years ago had a hard time finding the nylon gear, finally got one of the GM dealer parts guys to do a search and one showed up about 150 miles away. He was glad to get it and the chain off his shelf since it had been sitting there for years. Packages were all dusty and dirty. The small dealerships are much more friendly.