THS @ GS Nats

87LC2

Turbo Hot Street is neat!

It was great to see everyone in Bowling Green; old and new faces too! For those who missed it, you missed some absolutely great racing. A few were rounds were decided at the tree proving its still a driver's race. Lotsa fun!

Turbo Hot Street had 17 cars qualify for the field. Number 17 was Greg Kirschner's TSS (Turbo Street Stock) car that asked to run with us since he was the only one in his class!

We had a couple guys doing double duty in Julio Don's Alcohol class and Hot Street; JD DiLorenzo, Collin Hundley and Rickey Tharpe, Sr.. That was cool. The Nationals staff and the track people (and the other class RRA's) were very accommodating with that.

We had TWO ladies in the class; Jamie Wolcott and Lisa Fischer. Jamie in her Hot Air GN and Lisa in her very clean '87 GN.

The qualifying ladder looked like this:

1) Sean Hayes 9.90 @133.83
2) David Day 10.07 @134.06
3) Greg Kirschner (sp?) 10.15 @133.83
4) JD DiLorenzo 10.27 @132.90
5) Kip Asplund 10.353 @132.11
6) Clay Willamont 10.356 @130.63
7) John Snyder 10.41 @130.04
8) Ernie Young 10.43 @112.93
9) Collin Hundley 10.48 @128.55
10) Jamie Wolcott 10.55 @126.73
11) Mike Schwab 10.56 @126.73 (?)
12) Chris Cairnforth 10.70 @ 127.08
13) Rickey Tharpe, Sr. 10.71 @122.66
14) Patrick Broughton 10.77 @123.96
15) Lisa Fischer 10.84 @124.19
16) Kevin Bolger 11.38 @ 118.86
17) Patrick Hester 13.99 @ 101.35

Everyone made weight without any problems. The majority of the cars had iron heads. The heaviest car weighed 3740 and the lightest was 3500 on the nose.

The first round match-ups went like this:
Collin Hundley v Jamie Wolcott. Collin won with a 10.80.

Kip Asplund v Patrick Broughton. Patrick is from Bowling Green and this was his first THS event. He has owned his 87 GN for 11 years. He said he had a great time despite a first round loss.

Clay Willamont v R. Tharpe, Sr.. Clay solo'd when Tharpe didn't show.

David Day v Patrick Hester. Patrick had a hard time qualifying when he broke the first time then had another malfunction next time out. He got the bugs sorted out and the car started to come around for him but not enough to get around Day's 10.17. A very strong car he has.

JD DiLorenzo v Lisa Fischer. The Road Warrior versus The T-Shirt Girl. JD had his hands full as he was in TAI too and Lisa was worried about the pro tree. It was new to her. She took her brother's advice to treat it like a stop light and a quick reaction time gave her the win.

John Snyder v Chris Cairnforth. Cairnforth got around Snyder who was shoe'ing a family heirloom of sorts, his 86 GN that his dad bought new way back when. Another (semi) original owner GN!!!

Greg Kirschner v Kevin Bolger. Greg, our TSS "convert", took the win light over the "Pride of Bright, Indiana", Kevin Bolger, with an off the pace 10.56. He had run a 10.09 earlier.

Ernie Young v Mike Schwab. EY is going to give people fits when he gets more tiller time in his GN. He has a lot of nice hardware and set a personal-best low et. Unfortunately, he drew Mike Schwab this round and Mike took it to him with a nice 10.67

Sean Hayes got the bye.

And that was Round One.

Round Duex
Sean Hayes had Collin Hundley who had lane choice. Collin had been running strong in TAI but didn't quite have enough to get around Sean who went 10.01 for the win.

Kip Asplund v Clay Willamont. Clay had been having technical difficulties all week but you couldn't tell by the 10.11 he laid down to advance over Kip.

David Day drew the bye this round and ran it out the back door anyway with a 10.12. Dave was looking for lane choice for the next go-round.

Lisa Fischer v Chris Cairnforth. Lisa was in stoplight mode again but it wasn't quite enough to get around Chris, in his "Diablo-edition" GN , who went 10.74.

Finally, Greg Kirschner v Mike Schwab. Another nice match-up with Greg coming out on top over Mike with a 10.23.

Now it gets interesting.

Greg, being the number three qualifier, drew the bye to advance.

Chris Cairnforth took on David Day who ran a bracket like 10.13 to put Cairnforth on the trailer.

Sean Hayes v Clay Willamont. Willamont's car, despite now being (confirmed) wounded, kept getting quicker which would help, as he was facing the number one qualifier, Hayes. In perhaps the upset of the day, Clay won with a 10.003 @ 138.42 mph (!) to Sean's quicker but losing 9.994 @ 133+. The margin of victory was .0441. What a great race!

So, now, the bye fell to....Clay Willamont, who's car probably needed a well deserved break! Clay solo'd, practicing his 60' times out to the 1/8 mile. His crewchief winced.

David Day v Greg Kirschner. This looked to be anyone's race but fortune was not with Kirschner as he slowed to a 10.63 @ 132, to Day's quickening 10.09 @ 133. Day would face Willamont in the final.

I have to commend the GS Nationals staff for giving us plenty of cool down time. As the day wore on we were the only ones left. I think they even started passing out trophies for the other classes between rounds. But kudos to Jim Carswell and his staff for his efforts. Thanks to the V8 guys too (Jim Rodgers?) who also moved his schedule around to accomodate us. The racers appreciated it.

David Day v Clay Willamont for the win. It was a tight race all the way down the track but David came out on top with a 10.10 @ 133.65! Congratulations DDay, the 2010 GS Nationals Turbo Hot Street winner!!!

David recieved a set of Buick V6 connecting rods from K1 Technologies, cash and a shirt from HRParts'n'Stuff, a trophy courtesy of Excessive Acceleration.

Clay recieved cash and a shirt from HRParts'n'Stuff and a trophy courtesy of Excessive Acceleration.

Greg Kirschner recieved a set of bumper brackets from Excessive Acceleration.

Sean Hayes recieved a plenum spacer from Champion Racing Heads and a crisp $100.00 bill for setting Low ET from The House of Health2.

Chris Cairnforth also recieved a plenum spacer from Champion Racing Heads for his efforts.

Thanks to all the SPONSORS and RACERS and the GS Club of America for supporting Turbo Hot Street. It wouldn't be possible with out you. I had a great time and the feedback I have gotten has been overwhelmingly positive. Come to where the action is; where the fun is; Turbo Hot Street!

See ya at the races!

Great write up Ed!
I can not wait until next year. This class is only going to get better and bigger. What a great group of people and cars.

Hey Ed...the other car doing double duty was John Snyder (sp) there were 2 Rickie Tharpe's Sr. in Hot Street, Jr. in Alky.

Write up looks good.

Thanks to Ed and Kip, I had a great time....although my debut was less than spectacular!! We didn't have much socializing time as we chased one problem after another....who knew throwing a smaller turbo on and a th200 in the car would cause so much grief!!!!.....but we were able to hone our outdoor welding skills (thanks to Jack Cotton, who had a welder) or we would not have even made first round!! Impressive group of cars and people, I look forward to the next race....only after I stop kicking my car.

Congrats to Everyone! I dont know that I have ever seen a class where so many cars were so close in times.

Sean Hayes v Clay Willamont. Willamont's car, despite now being (confirmed) wounded, kept getting quicker which would help, as he was facing the number one qualifier, Hayes. In perhaps the upset of the day, Clay won with a 10.003 @ 138.42 mph (!) to Sean's quicker but losing 9.994 @ 133+. The margin of victory was .0441. What a great race!

Now that is floating down the track, in THS!! :biggrin:

K.

Ed, thanks for inviting me to participate in THS @ BG.

I had a BLAST, and look forward to next year.

See ya'll then,
Pat

I will enjoy being the only hot air in the class and really look forward to next year. It's been a lot of fun and I'm really glad I've been a part of this group.

Jamie

I will enjoy being the only hot air in the class and really look forward to next year. It's been a lot of fun and I'm really glad I've been a part of this group.

Jamie

I meant to say I enjoy being the only hot air in THS for now..

Turbo Hot Street is neat!

It was great to see everyone in Bowling Green; old and new faces too! For those who missed it, you missed some absolutely great racing. A few were rounds were decided at the tree proving its still a driver's race. Lotsa fun!

Turbo Hot Street had 17 cars qualify for the field. Number 17 was Greg Kirschner's TSS (Turbo Street Stock) car that asked to run with us since he was the only one in his class!

We had a couple guys doing double duty in Julio Don's Alcohol class and Hot Street; JD DiLorenzo, Collin Hundley and Rickey Tharpe, Sr.. That was cool. The Nationals staff and the track people (and the other class RRA's) were very accommodating with that.

We had TWO ladies in the class; Jamie Wolcott and Lisa Fischer. Jamie in her Hot Air GN and Lisa in her very clean '87 GN.

The qualifying ladder looked like this:

1) Sean Hayes 9.90 @133.83
2) David Day 10.07 @134.06
3) Greg Kirschner (sp?) 10.15 @133.83
4) JD DiLorenzo 10.27 @132.90
5) Kip Asplund 10.353 @132.11
6) Clay Willamont 10.356 @130.63
7) John Snyder 10.41 @130.04
8) Ernie Young 10.43 @112.93
9) Collin Hundley 10.48 @128.55
10) Jamie Wolcott 10.55 @126.73
11) Mike Schwab 10.56 @126.73 (?)
12) Chris Cairnforth 10.70 @ 127.08
13) Rickey Tharpe, Sr. 10.71 @122.66
14) Patrick Broughton 10.77 @123.96
15) Lisa Fischer 10.84 @124.19
16) Kevin Bolger 11.38 @ 118.86
17) Patrick Hester 13.99 @ 101.35

Everyone made weight without any problems. The majority of the cars had iron heads. The heaviest car weighed 3740 and the lightest was 3500 on the nose.

The first round match-ups went like this:
Collin Hundley v Jamie Wolcott. Collin won with a 10.80.

Kip Asplund v Patrick Broughton. Patrick is from Randleman NC and this was his first THS event. He has owned his 87 GN for 11 years. He said he had a great time despite a first round loss.

Clay Willamont v R. Tharpe, Sr.. Clay solo'd when Tharpe didn't show.

David Day v Patrick Hester. Patrick had a hard time qualifying when he broke the first time then had another malfunction next time out. He got the bugs sorted out and the car started to come around for him but not enough to get around Day's 10.17. A very strong car he has.

JD DiLorenzo v Lisa Fischer. The Road Warrior versus The T-Shirt Girl. JD had his hands full as he was in TAI too and Lisa was worried about the pro tree. It was new to her. She took her brother's advice to treat it like a stop light and a quick reaction time gave her the win.

John Snyder v Chris Cairnforth. Cairnforth got around Snyder who was shoe'ing a family heirloom of sorts, his 86 GN that his dad bought new way back when. Another (semi) original owner GN!!!

Greg Kirschner v Kevin Bolger. Greg, our TSS "convert", took the win light over the "Pride of Bright, Indiana", Kevin Bolger, with an off the pace 10.56. He had run a 10.09 earlier.

Ernie Young v Mike Schwab. EY is going to give people fits when he gets more tiller time in his GN. He has a lot of nice hardware and set a personal-best low et. Unfortunately, he drew Mike Schwab this round and Mike took it to him with a nice 10.67

Sean Hayes got the bye.

And that was Round One.

Round Duex
Sean Hayes had Collin Hundley who had lane choice. Collin had been running strong in TAI but didn't quite have enough to get around Sean who went 10.01 for the win.

Kip Asplund v Clay Willamont. Clay had been having technical difficulties all week but you couldn't tell by the 10.11 he laid down to advance over Kip.

David Day drew the bye this round and ran it out the back door anyway with a 10.12. Dave was looking for lane choice for the next go-round.

Lisa Fischer v Chris Cairnforth. Lisa was in stoplight mode again but it wasn't quite enough to get around Chris, in his "Diablo-edition" GN , who went 10.74.

Finally, Greg Kirschner v Mike Schwab. Another nice match-up with Greg coming out on top over Mike with a 10.23.

Now it gets interesting.

Greg, being the number three qualifier, drew the bye to advance.

Chris Cairnforth took on David Day who ran a bracket like 10.13 to put Cairnforth on the trailer.

So, now, the bye fell to....Clay Willamont, who's car probably needed a well deserved break! Clay solo'd, practicing his 60' times out to the 1/8 mile. His crewchief winced.

David Day v Greg Kirschner. This looked to be anyone's race but fortune was not with Kirschner as he slowed to a 10.63 @ 132, to Day's quickening 10.09 @ 133. Day would face Willamont in the final.

I have to commend the GS Nationals staff for giving us plenty of cool down time. As the day wore on we were the only ones left. I think they even started passing out trophies for the other classes between rounds. But kudos to Jim Carswell and his staff for his efforts. Thanks to the V8 guys too (Jim Rodgers?) who also moved his schedule around to accomodate us. The racers appreciated it.

David Day v Clay Willamont for the win. It was a tight race all the way down the track but David came out on top with a 10.10 @ 133.65! Congratulations DDay, the 2010 GS Nationals Turbo Hot Street winner!!!

David recieved a set of Buick V6 connecting rods from K1 Technologies, cash and a shirt from HRParts'n'Stuff, a trophy courtesy of Excessive Acceleration.

Clay recieved cash and a shirt from HRParts'n'Stuff and a trophy courtesy of Excessive Acceleration.

Greg Kirschner recieved a set of bumper brackets from Excessive Acceleration.

Sean Hayes recieved a plenum spacer from Champion Racing Heads and a crisp $100.00 bill for setting Low ET from The House of Health2.

Chris Cairnforth also recieved a plenum spacer from Champion Racing Heads for his efforts.

Thanks to all the SPONSORS and RACERS and the GS Club of America for supporting Turbo Hot Street. It wouldn't be possible with out you. I had a great time and the feedback I have gotten has been overwhelmingly positive. Come to where the action is; where the fun is; Turbo Hot Street!

See ya at the races!

Great write up ED

The Patrick that ran kip in the second round is me and i'm from Randleman NC. I still had a blast.

i'm gonna try and be better prepared next yr. I see that i need some skinny fronts and wide rear wheels with slicks.

Once again GREAT JOD ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to give a better performance NEXT TIME!!!!!!!

thanks JD