This thing smokes under full boost only

I would suspect then, that the crankcase is pressurizing. Go to my channel and watch me race the yellow vette. Exhaust is clear until about 150 feet out and then I fog for mosquitoes.

Experienced that one as well..... had leaking intake gasket and boost was pressurizing the crankcase and would push the dipstick tube under boost. Did splash some oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experienced that one as well..... had leaking intake gasket and boost was pressurizing the crankcase and would push the dipstick tube under boost. Did splash some oil

That wasn't the problem with mine.

What was your issue? Be good to know to tuck it away
emoji6.png

I had a used .030 over engine in the car. The third time it cracked a cylinder all the way to the top of the block, I had to scrap the block. The engine in the car in the vid was the original std bore block. It was pulled originally cuz the original cam eventually wiped. We pulled it apart, and the piston to wall clearance was max. Gave the cylinders a quick scuff in the Sunnen hone to seat the new rings and had the rotating assembly balanced with new bearings and slapped it back together. Halfway through the 3rd race season it started to push the dipstick up from the rings wearing and pressurizing the crankcase from max piston to wall clearance. At the end of the 3rd season the engine was pulled and the pistons were flopping around in the cylinders. I beat on it for 3 seasons every weekend at the track...so it didn't owe me anything. I got my moneys worth.

Thanks. I’ll give it a shot. I’m going to get these valve cover gaskets changed out first to avoid any false positives.

1.Those valve covers are notorious for leaking. sme of the allen bolts that came with mine were actually to long. they looked OK but were actually bottoming out before supplying sufficent pressure on the gasket! I had to grind about 1/8" of the ends for them to seat properly.
2. The gaskets are imporatnt. I tried the Felpro with the metal in them, I forget what they,re called and I tried cork. Both worked for a while and started leaking.
3. RC specs different gaskets for each type of cover and showed me what he does. For those it's felpro VS50156R. You then glue the gaskets on the valve cover with RTV, Put the valve cover on a perfectly flat surface. He uses a starrett granite lapping stone but glass would work, put a heavy weight on the valve covers and leave for a couple of days for the RTV to completely cure. Install the valve covers. Not a hint of a leak in 3 years. I bout a couple of sets because I don't think they make them anymore but plenty are still available on line.

1.Those valve covers are notorious for leaking. sme of the allen bolts that came with mine were actually to long. they looked OK but were actually bottoming out before supplying sufficent pressure on the gasket! I had to grind about 1/8" of the ends for them to seat properly.
2. The gaskets are imporatnt. I tried the Felpro with the metal in them, I forget what they,re called and I tried cork. Both worked for a while and started leaking.
3. RC specs different gaskets for each type of cover and showed me what he does. For those it's felpro VS50156R. You then glue the gaskets on the valve cover with RTV, Put the valve cover on a perfectly flat surface. He uses a starrett granite lapping stone but glass would work, put a heavy weight on the valve covers and leave for a couple of days for the RTV to completely cure. Install the valve covers. Not a hint of a leak in 3 years. I bout a couple of sets because I don't think they make them anymore but plenty are still available on line.

That’s great info. I’m currently using the Felpro with the metal in them. I actually have a second set already I was going to throw on but maybe I’ll see if I can’t find the one you’re referencing and buy a set. I need to see if it’s actually them that’s leaking or if my oil is coming from the dipstick now.

After that I’ll move on to the other suggestions people have provided. Thanks again everyone.

I would think something could leak more when under load ...when more pressure is applied ...vs a nominal...weaker pressure load..but some seals work better when pressure applied .....back to my tractor ... :sneaky:
Definitely different under load. Years ago when I knew nothing (60's) I had a Ford Galaxy that would have the entire engine compartment covered with oil after a few miles drive. The dipstick was ALWAYS blown out. I'd clean it and rev the engine while looking for the leak. No leak. I went through this many times and many quarts of oil. Then I had an idea, Put on the ebrake, chock the wheels and rev it. It was barely past idle when I got a firehose of hot oil out of the dipstick hole right into my face! 45K motor with tons of blowby. The breather was completely clogged breather. Changed the breather and never had oil in the engine compartment again. Instead of loosing a quart every 5 miles it went to burning a quart every 500.

Definitely different under load. Years ago when I knew nothing (60's) I had a Ford Galaxy that would have the entire engine compartment covered with oil after a few miles drive. The dipstick was ALWAYS blown out. I'd clean it and rev the engine while looking for the leak. No leak. I went through this many times and many quarts of oil. Then I had an idea, Put on the ebrake, chock the wheels and rev it. It was barely past idle when I got a firehose of hot oil out of the dipstick hole right into my face! 45K motor with tons of blowby. The breather was completely clogged breather. Changed the breather and never had oil in the engine compartment again. Instead of loosing a quart every 5 miles it went to burning a quart every 500.

That’s a great idea! I’ll have to be cautious with the ebrake and wheel chocks giving it a little throttle at a time. Last thing I need right now is a Buick-sized hole in the garage.

That’s a great idea! I’ll have to be cautious with the ebrake and wheel chocks giving it a little throttle at a time. Last thing I need right now is a Buick-sized hole in the garage.

You might have to give it more throttle than I did. Remember mine was severe and it only took a little. My main point was under load and in neutral are totally different. If your dipstick is coming out there's definetly some blowby. Maybe better flowing breathers. Also if it's pressurizing it won't help the VC leaks either.

Man Cryptic,, exactly 12 days ago as I was inching up in boost mine start pushing oil out the breather grommet lip... I've had them installed upside down all these years. I went & bought some new grommets,(just like yours, installed the correct way slapped on some new breathers Oil came out the back like a mosquito truck. (Under boost). So I did what Jeryll told you to do earlier but only cut out the lower 1/2 moon shaped flap (theres 2 upper /lower). On both valve cover sides put in a new pcv valve & No more leaks... same valve covers as yours,, the breathers were the cheap $6 ones from Autozone Resized_20200410_173230.jpegResized_20200410_181123.jpegResized_20200410_172959.jpegcut this half moon out.

Man Cryptic,, exactly 12 days ago as I was inching up in boost mine start pushing oil out the breather grommet lip... I've had them installed upside down all these years. I went & bought some new grommets,(just like yours, installed the correct way slapped on some new breathers Oil came out the back like a mosquito truck. (Under boost). So I did what Jeryll told you to do earlier but only cut out the lower 1/2 moon shaped flap (theres 2 upper /lower). On both valve cover sides put in a new pcv valve & No more leaks... same valve covers as yours,, the breathers were the cheap $6 ones from Autozone View attachment 353336View attachment 353337View attachment 353338cut this half moon out.

Thank you. I’ll look at that too!

Assuming you have stock valve covers on the car. Take off the breather on the front of the passenger side valve cover with the line that runs to the turbo inlet and see if you can blow through it. Also take it for a ride without it on the car and see if it improves your condition. Wouldn't hurt to do that with the cap on the fill tube on the driverside. Put a mirco fiber cloth over it and tie it down with a zip tie so oil doesn't shoot out all over the place. If the dip stick is popping up the motor isn't venting properly. Other things to look for is:

Take off the inlet pipe going to the turbo and see if it has any shaft play or oil sprayed around the cover
Take off the bolts to the downpipe and see if the exh wheel is wet
Take off the hose going to the intercooler and see if the turbo is blowing oil into the cooler

I personally think its your turbo...

Assuming you have stock valve covers on the car. Take off the breather on the front of the passenger side valve cover with the line that runs to the turbo inlet and see if you can blow through it. Also take it for a ride without it on the car and see if it improves your condition. Wouldn't hurt to do that with the cap on the fill tube on the driverside. Put a mirco fiber cloth over it and tie it down with a zip tie so oil doesn't shoot out all over the place. If the dip stick is popping up the motor isn't venting properly. Other things to look for is:

Take off the inlet pipe going to the turbo and see if it has any shaft play or oil sprayed around the cover
Take off the bolts to the downpipe and see if the exh wheel is wet
Take off the hose going to the intercooler and see if the turbo is blowing oil into the cooler

I personally think its your turbo...

I don’t have stock valve covers. I have the crackle black GN1 covers. Going to play with the breathers as I think they may be too restrictive.

Done all of the above with the turbo and posted pics earlier in the thread. Will probably still pull the turbo and try and run it under load or try and find someone to “borrow” a turbo from if it’s not the breather/gaskets. Haven’t had time the past few days to touch the car unfortunately.

Has anyone confirmed whether or not smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipes?

Nope. That’s an important call. I need to have a buddy follow me around. I should be able to make some things happen with the car today and report back.

well I was too ...just offering advise
Mr.Spool didn't have anything to say about any of your advise. He simply offered another diagnostic tool. You then advised the OP to ignore what Mr.Spool has been saying because it most certainly would be a waste of time. Telling the OP not to do something is not advise,it's an attach on Mr.Spool. You're much more interested in being right than getting to the bottom of the OP's problem.
While you seem to be certain that the problem is crankcase pressure,no one has determined whether or not the smoke is coming from the exhaust.

Mr.Spool didn't have anything to say about any of your advise. He simply offered another diagnostic tool. You then advised the OP to ignore what Mr.Spool has been saying because it most certainly would be a waste of time. Telling the OP not to do something is not advise,it's an attach on Mr.Spool. You're much more interested in being right than getting to the bottom of the OP's problem.
While you seem to be certain that the problem is crankcase pressure,no one has determined whether or not the smoke is coming from the exhaust.
its all advice ...either way you look at it...I never said or seem to be or certain it was crank case pressure ...I was giving advice to the OP ... based on initial question of smoking under full boost ,WOT...and made a comment on mr spools advice...basically wondering how removing the turbo duplicates this situation (smoking under full boost .WOT)...thats all ...if you think its an attack and not advice..then thats your opinion...

Took the car out for a spin today with a buddy following me. This is what I learned:
  • The smoke appears to be coming from "under" the car not the exhaust lending credit to the theory that the smoke is coming from oil leaking in the engine compartment and hitting the headers/crosspipe
  • There appeared to be less smoke than previously, I have opened up the grommets on the breathers
  • The dipstick was not pushed up today, I don't know if that's because the grommets are opened up or it was "pushed up" last time because I hadn't pushed it all the way in last time I checked the oil level
  • The first few passes there is little to no smoke. There appears to be more smoke the more pulls I do.
At this point my plan is to replace the valve cover gaskets and try different breathers. If I am still experiencing smoke at that point I'll either do a leak down test or pull/swap the turbo and see what happens. Since it looks like the oil isn't coming from the exhaust I suspect that either of these won't be the culprit.

Thank you to everyone for helping me think through this and offering suggestions. I'll continue to update as I make progress.

Try stock type GROMMETS and BREATHERS.

Why are you restricting STOCK stuff that Buick engineers spent considerable time getting right?
If you made the engine make more power, you need to let the block and heads breathe MORE, not less.

Last edited: