This is what's happening Now......

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
With Engine warmed up & in closed loop, I'll put my foot into it. Shifts good , FP goes to 51 & red boost gauge lites up, @ 10 #'s of Boost. I smell gas out of the exhaust ? Any info for me ?
Thanks,
....Richie

WE2Regal

Is it blowing black smoke? Tailpipe look black and sooty? Pull some plugs and see what they look like.

Lockman

Plugs look ok . I'm running NGK UR4's . Soot on the inside of tailpipe . If there is a lifted cam taht I don't know about & I'm running Eric's street chip for a1984 HotAir, would that be a problem ?

Attachments

• # 6 after 300 miles new Injectors.jpg
    # 6 after 300 miles new Injectors.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

Lockman

No black smoke , either. Just the smell & lousy gas mileage.

WE2Regal

Diagnosing someone's problem on this site is usually an exercise in futility. All anyone can do is guess on things to check. Are you smelling gas inside the car or just a rich smell while standing outside from the exhaust? Right now I'm thinking exhaust leak. Check around your headers and exhaust for signs of exhaust leaking. Is you O2 sensor working and cycling?

Lockman

I hear you, my friend. I do appreciate your support , though. I was thinking exhaust leak too. This is a short , straight pipe system . No Cat or muffler. It's in my Jeep.I 'll check for exhaust leaks; there are none before the O2 , which is a heated Denso & cycling all thru it's range.
Thanks'
....Richie

Lockman

Just spoke to Eric.......One of the greatest guys I've ever talked to!. He thinks that I should work around the Fuel pressure & exhaust , possibly a catalytic install may help too ! Short Pipe , ya know.
Thanks.....I'll let you know how I make out .

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
Evap canister ? Leaking return line or leaking vent hose . Leaking gas filler neck .. last but not least check your gas cap . And make sure it’s tight. Leaking fuel rail shrader valve ?

Lockman

I 've got a new Vapor canister on its way . I had raw gas pouring thru this one on 3 or 4 occasions , over the last 3 years. That was by me , overfilling the Tank . Maybe it's shot & stinks. After a while, ones sensitivity to raw gas becomes dulled. Who knows ?

I'm also gonna install a catalytic converter. I only have 7 ' of straight exhaust pipe. It's on my Jeep. Talked to Eric the other night & he suggested turning down the FP. My first attempt, I lowered it to 36 , line off , & I threw a '44' code. Bought it up to 37 , like the Hot Airs were spec'd for & no code. Somehow , if not imagining & hopeful thinking , the gas smell has lessened. ?

Lockman

Don't think so . It goes through it's whole range & responds fairly Quickly.??? I got a Heated Denso , so it ain't a cheap $20 one.

Lockman

Ya Really think so.?.......perhaps just to test that out ? . Thanks, I'll try it .

ShaunKris

#PROJECT84FORIA
Diagnosing someone's problem on this site is usually an exercise in futility. All anyone can do is guess on things to check. Are you smelling gas inside the car or just a rich smell while standing outside from the exhaust? Right now I'm thinking exhaust leak. Check around your headers and exhaust for signs of exhaust leaking. Is you O2 sensor working and cycling?
yeah I agree, but not because I'm smart lol... I've had quite a few issues on my car too. I would check to make sure your injectors are not stuck open or something. Check connections, one at a time and see if the engine idle changes.