third gen swap

jg78regal

i might swap my regals turbo engine into my 87 iroc. its a 78 carb setup. i read some info on third gen swap but there all sfi. also what are the main problems that i would run into besides geting it mounted in the engine bay? thanks

Welcome my friend! We have an 88 IROC with the swap. There's one or two more on here as well. Check out our website for lots of info.

A&A Performance

Jason

thanks lots of good info! so i need engine mounts for a g body and i can drill to fit them in. and the rail has to be notched. is that really the only big issues you guys ran into

can i ask how much your harness cost? im on a very small budget and dont want to dive into something i cant afford

I believe it was around $800 Pricey but well worth it. its plug and play

You dont have to notch the rail if you use stock headers. I had ATR headers thats why i cut my car to fit them.

How's the car coming jg78?

Find a harness? What other parts do you need?

I found a harness for 125.00 used on this board and now am updating a 85

car to 86/7. Re-wiring it for your car is not difficult at all. If you find one

I can make it a plug and play for you if your interested.

~Scott

What's up 88ZNX... :) Ready for nats? I'm converting over to XFI just got

the word last week from a vendor that's going to trade me some work for

parts. I like my sequential classic fast but the new xfi systems are just

superior in every way.

~Scott

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was asking about putting a carb turbo set up in his car. It won't be emission legal.

Thought I saw somthing on there about SFI... Most who start researching doing the hot air or older end up going with the real thing.
Just wanted to see if anything had gotten done.
:)
Scott~

Hey Scott! I hope we will be ready, Hail season is here so we might be working. Alan is at home rebuilding 2 502's out of a 33ft Donzi boat for a friend. he is going to stroke them to 540's :cool: I'm working a storm in south Atlanta.

Jason

Cool... I've been buizy here at the shop. But very ready to see the snow up here melt for the last time. I normally have my Nissan running but this winter I've been driving a regular 4x4 truck with no boost... talk about boring! wow.
Lol..
Talk to you soon!
Scott

ya i knida abonded the swap idea because i dont think its going to give me the power level im looking for. i could always get it in and then upgrade to sfi later. so if i dont have to notch the frame all i need is mounts and a wiring harness, thats intresting. i know a carb wont be emmisons legal, i have a guy....lol

i have done reseach on increasing the power from the carb engine. i am shooting for 12s. i like the turbo buicks but do you guys think it would make more sense to put a sbc in it? probably whatever i want will be the answer thats the problem.....idk......lol

i have done reseach on increasing the power from the carb engine. i am shooting for 12s. i like the turbo buicks but do you guys think it would make more sense to put a sbc in it? probably whatever i want will be the answer thats the problem.....idk......lol

If you want power cheaply go sbc. If you want a unique ride that will drive you NUTS go turbo v6 and check out the before black section. The best anyone has done so far is low 13's.

low 13s is kinda weak. i dont want a drag car though. my suspension will be set up for autocross/roadrace. so the carb motors are trouble prone i take it

im currently in the middle of a gn motor swap in my '90 camaro. got the motor mounts from hrpartsn'stuff, i'am very pleased with them,it fell in there. do i need to upgrade my dash or can i get away with the stock gauges? also do i need to notch the frame for dp clearance if i have stock headers on it?

It's not that the carb motor is such a problem but there are other conciderations to it. You will have some issues with turbo lag for one. Once you get going as you go into a corner it will effect you the most because of the engine rpm change. Detonation is another. The design wasnt intended to go from high rpm to low and then back again as much as you do for autocross. Hope this helps.