Thinking of going 4.1 what are the goods and bads??

oh do they flow the same? Im stuck finding pistons, i emailed Je and asked for a idea on how much a set of pistons would be and he said 900, i might go with hypers.

oh do they flow the same? Im stuck finding pistons, i emailed Je and asked for a idea on how much a set of pistons would be and he said 900, i might go with hypers.

I thought the 6293's were just the SAE version of the 8445's. Maybe I'm wrong though. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. :)

I tried deleting the 2nd on.

I thought the 6293's were just the SAE version of the 8445's.

Yeah I dont really see a big difference.

Weisco,diamonds i think have 4.1 pistons also ross,cps-.you may want to try some S2 forged-some on ebay.i think the only structural differences on the heads is the coolant passages-champion also sells these heads ported.

In rosses site it says all buick v6s, $577 for flat tops, $620 for domes and reverse domes. Thats the best price i have seen. Another member on this site said he had a set of 4.00" stage II pistons, but is the pin height correct?

In rosses site it says all buick v6s, $577 for flat tops, $620 for domes and reverse domes. Thats the best price i have seen. Another member on this site said he had a set of 4.00" stage II pistons, but is the pin height correct?

Thats a good price from what I have seen there in the 800$ rang :(

I pulled the oil pan off and the heads. On the the bottom the the piston where the pin goes through the piston is broke off. Anyone know what could cause that?

i have a set of 4.00" diamonds and a set of Ross.whatever ones i dont use will be for sale for less than $500.

Please see the following post from Turbobuicks.com, which offers a dissenting opinion regarding the strength of a 4.1 "291" block:

Orlando_87GN
Resident Idiot

4.1's are cheap to buy and add 21 cubic inches compared to the 3.8 motor. Get a '291' casting block and enjoy extra power at any rpm range. They are equal to any 3.8 block with the right machining and prep. When I say they are equal I am referring to how cheesy all of the production blocks are, 3.8 or 4.1, doesn't matter.

------------------------------------------------
1987 Buick Grand National
Budget 4.1, 204/214 cam, TA-49 Turbo, Stockish Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, Translator plus Extender powered. 3680# with pilot
1987 Turbo T with 5300 miles
1987 Mazda RX-7 Buick Powered of course!
10.79 @ 126mph Sold
1993 Mazda RX-7 4.1 Buick Powered

For those that are curious here is a link to the 4.1 litre build on Turbobuicks.com:

TurboBuicks.com - Build a Budget 4.1 Motor!

Thanks for the info this is great!
I may still try this route it seems cheaper for some reason when I add up the parts!
If I did choose to go roller cam it will still work right??

Also what heads should I use?? Ported stock or GN1 or something else??
Im looking for as much power as I can get at say 23-26lbs of boost on alky :)

Thanks for the info this is great!
I may still try this route it seems cheaper for some reason when I add up the parts!
If I did choose to go roller cam it will still work right??

Also what heads should I use?? Ported stock or GN1 or something else??
Im looking for as much power as I can get at say 23-26lbs of boost on alky :)

I for one am going with a 4.1 with forged pistons, steel crank, billet main caps, converting to a 210/215 roller cam, but since it is going into a TTA I am going with ported 3.0 liter iron heads. Additionally, I am going with a Turbonetics T66 BB turbo, but money is tight so I am going to keep the stock TTA intercooler for now. I am in quest of 10 second et's with low boost.

If you have the money I would go with the GN1's.

Mark

Can I use the stock shaft mount rockers with GN1's if I dont go nutty with the cam?? Was think a 210 or something maybe no roller not sure yet $$ are super low here right now do to super low sales (THANKS GAS PRICES!)
Dont know where Ill end up but I want to be in the mid low 10's :)

I for one am going with a 4.1 with forged pistons, steel crank, billet main caps, converting to a 210/215 roller cam, but since it is going into a TTA I am going with ported 3.0 liter iron heads. Additionally, I am going with a Turbonetics T66 BB turbo, but money is tight so I am going to keep the stock TTA intercooler for now. I am in quest of 10 second et's with low boost.

If you have the money I would go with the GN1's.

Mark

What pistons are you going with? Ive read artiucle saying toonly go with a 208 with a 3.8, but the 4.1s would want some more cam wouldnt they?

I am not sure about the GN1's and using stock rocker arms...probably someone else can chime in on that.

The pistons are .030 over J&E's. I have been told that I should have selected a more agressive cam due to the 4.1 now being a 256 CID, but my TTA will be primarily a street vehicle, so I didn't want a lumpy idle, so I settled with a 210/215 roller cam kit from Full Throttle. The heads are going to have SB roller rockers with 1.6 ratio on the intake and 1.5's on the exhaust.

I can relate to money being tight. I initially planned to spend $8000 total on my engine project...I have surpassed that amount...ouch! But keep in mind I set my TTA engine aside and having the complete 4.1 long block combo to be dropped in place of the stock 3.8 litre. Lots of good parts have gone into this...hopefully money well spent...cause the wife will not let me do this again...that is if I still want stay married to her!;)

I am not sure about the GN1's and using stock rocker arms...probably someone else can chime in on that.

The pistons are .030 over J&E's. I have been told that I should have selected a more agressive cam due to the 4.1 now being a 256 CID, but my TTA will be primarily a street vehicle, so I didn't want a lumpy idle, so I settled with a 210/215 roller cam kit from Full Throttle. The heads are going to have SB roller rockers with 1.6 ratio on the intake and 1.5's on the exhaust.

I can relate to money being tight. I initially planned to spend $8000 total on my engine project...I have surpassed that amount...ouch! But keep in mind I set my TTA engine aside and having the complete 4.1 long block combo to be dropped in place of the stock 3.8 litre. Lots of good parts have gone into this...hopefully money well spent...cause the wife will not let me do this again...that is if I still want stay married to her!;)

if you ont mind me asking how much were the pistons? I emailed them and they told me 900. Moneys tight and your plan was to spend 8000? Im moving into your house lol:biggrin:

I bought a 4.1 short block that had the J&E's included in the price, so I am not sure what they run. It was a package deal for a great price. J&E's, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs, magnafuxed "291" block, High Volume Oil Pump Double Roller Timing Set, Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crank, Center Billet Caps BHJ Balancer and J&W Flywheel. Even with the great price the $'s seem to get out control quick!:eek:

I bored mine .035 to a 4" which lowered my JEs to $550 because they use an off the shelf V8 forging.