Thinking of changing my cam. looking for opinions

87we410877

Right now i have a comp 218/212 roller cam. Im thinking of going with a bigger cam like a 218/222. Im porting my GN1 aluminum heads and getting the ported stock intake. In my other posts, i was told that a big cam will produce more pleasing results after the head and intake changes. Am i really going to notice a difference or should i just stick with the one i got in there? Its only like 180 to change it so not too big of a deal. Lemme know!! Thanks.

Right now i have a comp 218/212 roller cam. Im thinking of going with a bigger cam like a 218/222. Im porting my GN1 aluminum heads and getting the ported stock intake. In my other posts, i was told that a big cam will produce more pleasing results after the head and intake changes. Am i really going to notice a difference or should i just stick with the one i got in there? Its only like 180 to change it so not too big of a deal. Lemme know!! Thanks.

Don't really see how you would see a HUGE improvement over stepping up with a cam that is not that much bigger than the one you have now...

I would look @224/224 roller if you are intent on stepping up...what do your times look like at this point with the cam you are running now??

How much boost/timing did you run to get those numbers in your sig?

Why "half step"???? With the mods you have just jump into a 224/224

yes you will see a gain in horse power is that cam hydraulic or solid

It is hydraulic. The heads are GN1 Aluminum non-ported. The intake is stock.

I never dynoed the car with this setup. It went 10.69 @ 132 on 29 lbs and 18* timing. It was breaking up and the tranny was wrecked. The car has never run right with this stupid FAST system in there. So i dont really have an accurate gauge as to how the cam effected performance.

I think the 224 224 sounds like a good idea?

How much you lookin to get for it? Its new right? as in, in the box never installed?

Now don't go calling the F.A.S.T. system names. You may just need to get a good tuner to help you out. Having all the other issues like the trans being fixed needs to be done.

Don't really see how you would see a HUGE improvement over stepping up with a cam that is not that much bigger than the one you have now...

I would look @224/224 roller if you are intent on stepping up...what do your times look like at this point with the cam you are running now??

You right . I MADE 600hp to the wheel on pump gas ALKY. 218 rollor champion iron stock rocker stock intake stock thol body TA header 3IN DOWN PIPE GTQ70 NONE BALL AT 24PSI :eek: classic fast tune buy OTTO:D:D;).

You right . I MADE 600hp to the wheel on pump gas ALKY. 218 rollor champion iron stock rocker stock intake stock thol body TA header 3IN DOWN PIPE GTQ70 NONE BALL AT 24PSI :eek: classic fast tune buy OTTO:D:D;).

One free cookie to this gentlemen.

Now about that cam, Where can i get a comp 224 224? I checked summit and couldnt find anything. link please.

If your planning on switching cams and your engine is capable of operating at 6200-6400 and you are going to get a higher flowing turbine then you will see gains if you run it hard. You will need a looser torque converter and good valve springs. From what ive experienced and what ive seen on others heads from Champion and TA the springs they install fall short on applications where a hydraulic cam needs to go over 6000rpm. I have a 218/224@110 and the shift point is 6200. The car went 114mph in the eighth at 26psi. The engine is a 233ci 9.3:1 RPE with GN1 race ported heads. I will have some more quarter times soon. Looking for 9.6@142-143 off the foot brake. SO if you dont have enough converter and dont plan on revving (or are limited by spring) and are staying with a p-trim you wont gain anything with ore cam and may actually lose performance since you will lose a lo down low and not have enough turbo/spring to make up for it up top. Essentially narrowing the power band and choking around 6k rpm. Keep the lift around .550. If you need more go to a solid. Fwiw the WOT tuning part of FAST is the easiest part to deal with. Its faster, more precise and easier than any chip car could be since you can datalog and make adjustments directly in the cells that need them. If you cant get a handle on the ve tables at WOT then you may want to seek out a tuner.

If your planning on switching cams and your engine is capable of operating at 6200-6400 and you are going to get a higher flowing turbine then you will see gains if you run it hard. You will need a looser torque converter and good valve springs. From what ive experienced and what ive seen on others heads from Champion and TA the springs they install fall short on applications where a hydraulic cam needs to go over 6000rpm. I have a 218/224@110 and the shift point is 6200. The car went 114mph in the eighth at 26psi. The engine is a 233ci 9.3:1 RPE with GN1 race ported heads. I will have some more quarter times soon. Looking for 9.6@142-143 off the foot brake. SO if you dont have enough converter and dont plan on revving (or are limited by spring) and are staying with a p-trim you wont gain anything with ore cam and may actually lose performance since you will lose a lo down low and not have enough turbo/spring to make up for it up top. Essentially narrowing the power band and choking around 6k rpm. Keep the lift around .550. If you need more go to a solid. Fwiw the WOT tuning part of FAST is the easiest part to deal with. Its faster, more precise and easier than any chip car could be since you can datalog and make adjustments directly in the cells that need them. If you cant get a handle on the ve tables at WOT then you may want to seek out a tuner.

What to do what to do...... The turbo i was looking at was the new billit precision 6765 H cover. And if i cannot find springs that will support the cam and RPM what the hell is the point? Maybe i'll just get the heads ported and the champion ported stock intake and stick with the 218 212 cam. The car should go 135-136 no problem. i think thats fast enough.

I think you missed the point about the valve springs. What Bison was saying is that the springs that the GN1 heads come with aren't strong enough. I just had the same issue. I had RPE build my new stroker motor, sent my almost new GN1 heads to him as well to have them shaved .030 to increase compression, I went with the 224 roller cam( Bobby's custom grind ) and he removed the K motion springs and installed double springs due the the increased pressure.
Bobby can get you the cam and springs you need pretty fast and he's an awesome person to deal with. Good luck

Bryan

I think you missed the point about the valve springs. What Bison was saying is that the springs that the GN1 heads come with aren't strong enough. I just had the same issue. I had RPE build my new stroker motor, sent my almost new GN1 heads to him as well to have them shaved .030 to increase compression, I went with the 224 roller cam( Bobby's custom grind ) and he removed the K motion springs and installed double springs due the the increased pressure.
Bobby can get you the cam and springs you need pretty fast and he's an awesome person to deal with. Good luck

Bryan

You sir will be moving onto the showcase round. That there is the answer i was looking for.

Ok so, Port heads, champion ported stock intake, 224 224 cam, 6765H turbo, 3400 converter. I think im pretty well set with that there. Maybe a bigger turbo?

Thanks for the advise. I'll call bobby soon.