thinking about a TR6 - coil options?

1BUICKTtype

Hello,

I am thinking about getting the TR6 ignition since either my stock module or coil or both are beginning to fail.

I see most people use the D599A coil, how does the output of this coil compare to the stock turbo Buick coil?

I am sure individual coils are the most powerful option but I don't think I need that much ignition.

Does the TR6 just bolt on to the original module/coil mount? And then the D599A coil mounts on top of the TR6?

Thanks!

The coil that he sells with it works great and from what I’ve heard it has just as much spark as the LS CNP coils . There really is no comparison between the stock coil setup vs the tr6 it produces higher voltages and is just way better. Plus you get a 2 step built in which is awesome and definitely helps to build Boost. So definitely go with the tr6 with ether the waste spark coil pack or get the individual coil harness and you can run 6 LS coils which is what I’m running.
E76CABAB-09F6-4671-8974-F10198F089B1.jpeg

And again from what I have learned from bob this coil pack has just as much spark as the individual coils . The only advantage with the individual coils is it has a shorter plug wire so alil more spark gets to the plug . Another plus is the actual coils you can get at autozone with a lifetime warranty so you can just swap it out and get a new one for free I’m pretty sure
8A0B22C6-D28F-4514-A7A6-46F74FB95212.jpeg

I did the TR6 and did the fender mount. Another plus is if you use the cam sync test that you don't need to take it apart as if it was in the stock location. But I didn't have any wiring issues with the box being by the fender. Mostly just personal preference.

thank you dank GN and Sweet6.

can the TR6 bolt on to the factory coil/moduel bracket? then the D599A coil bolts on top? I don't want to do any "fab" work and kinda want everything to appear as factory as possible.

thank you dank GN and Sweet6.

can the TR6 bolt on to the factory coil/moduel bracket? then the D599A coil bolts on top? I don't want to do any "fab" work and kinda want everything to appear as factory as possible.

Yes. when using the coilpack supplied with the TR-6, no fab work is required and it plugs directly into the stock ignition harness plug. There is a few electrical connections to be made if you want a 2-step trigger. And also if you want alky cut-off during staging. And also if you hot-wire the ignition for additional voltage you may consider the Casper's ignition hot-wire plug-and-play kit.

I just swapped over to the ignition. Coilpack tr6 and plugs. Car runs so much more smoother. I have it set up to run the 2 step with a potentiometer also.

thanks NY Twin Turbo, Dwilc47, michael evans.

I think im gonna get the TR6, D599A coil, and the Don Cruz MSD wires.

I have a slight stumble, where if i floor it, the stumble can sometimes be bad enough to kill the engine. most of the time it stumbles and then clears up. if i ease into the throttle, its fine. I am thinking its my 140k original module/coil. if that's not it then i'm no worried since i want to upgrade the ignition and get rid of the old stuff anyway.

got the TR6 from Bob Bailey, his MSD wires, and the D599A coil and all my engine stumbles are gone. my problem was indeed the stock ignition coil/module. had i known this was the case, i would have bought the TR6 a long time ago! it's a little pricey but WELL WORTH IT! don't know how to explain it but the car runs A LOT "cleaner"

Bob's MSD wires also fit great. didn't know he had TR6 MSD wires since i always see Taylors but he does now! the wire for #6 even has a smaller boot to fit better around the HVAC!

Last edited:
Please

Take some pictures of your new set up in case others search this thread for reference to the tr6 and the install.

Glad it cleared up your stumble !

I have one and really like it. It does seem to run stronger and smoother. I like the additional feature that helped me check/verify the sync of my cam sensor on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tr6 is a great piece. Stay away from anything but OEM AC delco coils. The truck/equinox/impala coil pack is a great option. However it should be noted that several including me and my customers have had coils fail after about a year. Wastespark fires the coil twice as much as individual set-up. The dwell also has an affect on coil life as well. The delco coils are great, but the best individual coils are the IGN-1a's. I am not aware of a set-up that's stock appearing with them though.

I have used the truck coil and individual coils in stock location. I believe Jack Laswell and Boostcrew sell a complete kit for the individual set-up in stock location.

The stock ignition has been proven fine for most cars. It is when the OEM stuff is no longer available that the issues start. Even today's Ac-delco are not the same standard as 1987.

Tr6 is a great piece. Stay away from anything but OEM AC delco coils. The truck/equinox/impala coil pack is a great option. However it should be noted that several including me and my customers have had coils fail after about a year. Wastespark fires the coil twice as much as individual set-up. The dwell also has an affect on coil life as well. The delco coils are great, but the best individual coils are the IGN-1a's. I am not aware of a set-up that's stock appearing with them though.

I have used the truck coil and individual coils in stock location. I believe Jack Laswell and Boostcrew sell a complete kit for the individual set-up in stock location.

The stock ignition has been proven fine for most cars. It is when the OEM stuff is no longer available that the issues start. Even today's Ac-delco are not the same standard as 1987.

Steve V! thanks for the heads up and I did use an AC Delco coil with the TR6. BTW I've learned so much about these cars from your FB page, thank you!

Please

Take some pictures of your new set up in case others search this thread for reference to the tr6 and the install.

Glad it cleared up your stumble !

here it is!

Last edited:
Steve V! thanks for the heads up and I did use an AC Delco coil with the TR6. BTW I've learned so much about these cars from your FB page, thank you!

Your welcome, the FB page gets the most traffic. I also post most videos on my Youtube Channel for the non Facebook guys.

What do you think of it? What are some differences you are seeing stock vs TR6? Did your stumble go away?

Here’s my comments on coils:
The stock coil/module is a brute. It’s been 8’s on gas in 3600+lb cars. The problem is the modules available are junk. The D599A coil is the go to for most running an aftermarket module. It’s fairly cheap and readily available. It has not been proven to have more power than a stock coil from what I’ve seen. Don’t use anything other than a Delco though. High failure rates have been observed on off brand junk. There’s actual ignition comparisons that have been done by engineers on various ignition coils. Not all LS coils are the same! I personally love the IGN-1a coils. They have way more balls than anything else out there and have an actual output value indicated which has been proven. These coils are twice as powerful (or more) as the best LS coils out there. They are fairly cheap for what they offer in ignition power if you need it. The downside is they aren’t available in parts stores, they require better power feeds and grounding, and they are noisier than other ignition coils but is expected for the power they have. If you are burning ethanol or methanol these coils may help you. They will fire anything you could ever throw at them in one of these V6 engines. Some people are cheap and are trying to run “junkyard” coils. That’s great if it works out but if you get a bad one have fun trying to figure it out

There really is no comparison between the stock coil setup vs the tr6 it produces higher voltages and is just way better.
Do you have proof of this or can you clarify what you are stating? You mention “stock coil” and TR6. A TR6 is a module. It doesn’t fire the plug. A good stock coil has plenty of steam. I’m not sure what it’s output is but it’s fairly strong for a stock ignition. A TR6 with 6 IGN-1a’s. Yeah that’s going to have a lot more power than stock but I highly doubt the D599A is going to have substantially more output than a stock coil. It doesn’t have the size and is still a wastespark coil so it’s losing some of its energy sparking the inert hole.

Bought TR6 unit with delco d955a coil pack, have not got it to work yet. It starts then dies out.
chasing the problem down still. Lots of people promote it here.
Can't wait to drive my car again.

What engine control computer ?

what gap are your spark plugs set ?

did it run well with your last module ?