"Thermal Tuning"

Turbo-Rich

ALBATROSS
Here's a link that SHOULD be quite thought provoking to a draw-thru turbo guy.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.html

Just think of the possibilities:eek:
This is along the lines (but different in many ways) of what I'm trying to put together. It can give you all a hint anyway;)
I am hoping that Co2 cooling in conjuntion with air/exhaust pressure amplification will be the "salvation" our cars need.

Originally posted by Turbo-Rich
Here's a link that SHOULD be quite thought provoking to a draw-thru turbo guy.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.html

I don't see where there is enough surface area for there to be a huge amount of heat transfer.
And no one seems to have any prices on it.
While you can get a low temp at the point of expansion, that is just part of the issue.

Re: Re: "Thermal Tuning"

Originally posted by bruce
I don't see where there is enough surface area for there to be a huge amount of heat transfer.
What piece? :confused:
And no one seems to have any prices on it.
It'snot due out until FEB. 1st but I wouldn't personally suggest buying from them (price pending) as all this stuff can be built cheaply at home. COLOR]

While you can get a low temp at the point of expansion, that is just part of the issue.

That site is just one example of the potential of Co2.

I just bought a NOS aluminum intake from an 80/82. There is an entire plenum under the intake for the EGR and air injection system. I was thinking this area could be used to run some type of coolant to cool the inake charge.

The Stage Jr head cores I have do not have the EGR holes drilled, so that is not an issue. It would be easy then to run CO2 through the same area of the intake and cool it. This would also provide more cooling surface area than trying to cool a tube or pipe.

Other things to consider would have to deal with reactions to such an abrupt change in temperature when the CO2 is turned on. Possibly the aluminum of the intake could crack by going from hot to cold so quickly. The edges of the manifold would remain warm where it bolts to the heads and the center would cool very rapidly.

Interesting food for thought.

Re: Re: Re: "Thermal Tuning"

Originally posted by Turbo-Rich
That site is just one example of the potential of Co2.

The bulb they insert into the air stream doesn't appear to have alot of surface area. An intercooler has square feet of area to transfer the heat away, in their info that deal they insert into the air stream doesn't look very large.

What are these other potentials?.

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Thermal Tuning"

Originally posted by bruce

What are these other potentials?.

Endless IMO.
It can almost instantly freeze anything on demand PLUS it makes incredible air pressure that can run air amplifiers & pre-spoolers etc. There are @ least two other companies I know of getting ready to bring Co2 into the marketplace. It's use is going to become quite common before long I believe.

Originally posted by Silver 6
I just bought a NOS aluminum intake from an 80/82. There is an entire plenum under the intake for the EGR and air injection system. I was thinking this area could be used to run some type of coolant to cool the inake charge.

The Stage Jr head cores I have do not have the EGR holes drilled, so that is not an issue. It would be easy then to run CO2 through the same area of the intake and cool it. This would also provide more cooling surface area than trying to cool a tube or pipe.

That's not a bad idea. Is the area under the intake "open" under all 6 intake runners?
Something else to consider might be to use the Co2 to make an atifreeze/water solution freezing cold that you could duct to the intake & wherever else you might need a cold blast (water to air I/C maybe or even one heck of a "cold air" intake). This way it may not be as "shocking" to the aluminum intake like you were concerned about. Plus the heat transfer from the water to the Co2 will drive the Co2 pressuse WAY up for pessible use on other devices that demand a lot of air pressure.
If your going to consider using Co2 it is important to build a whole "system" that can fully take advantage of all that Co2 can do.

When I saw the "I/C spraybar" they offered it came to me how easy it would be to fab. something like this to freeze the top of our (DT) intakes & possibley even the turbo compressor itself.
It is something I will probabley try eventually. I have a "system" already being built but I'm concentrating on pre-spooling & air cooling/amplification only for now. I'll worry about freezing things if I still consider it necessary after I get what I have dialled in.