Theatre Shooting in Denver

Red C5

Talk about sickening. WTF is wrong with people? Talk about horrible. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families involved in this tragedy. :(

http://gma.yahoo.com/mass-shooting-...ople-dead-085940786--abc-news-topstories.html

A lone gunman dressed in riot gear burst into a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., at a midnight showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" and methodically began shooting patrons, killing at least 12 people and injuring at least 38.
The suspect, James Holmes, 24, of Aurora, was caught by police in the parking lot of the Century 16 Movie Theaters, nine miles outside Denver, after police began receiving dozens of 911 calls at 12:39 a.m. MT. Police said the man appeared to have acted alone.
Witnesses in the movie theater said Holmes crashed into the auditorium through an emergency exit about 30 minutes into the film, set off a smoke bomb, and began shooting. Holmes stalked the aisles of the theater, shooting people at random, as panicked movie-watchers in the packed auditorium tried to escape, witnesses said.
"You just smelled smoke and you just kept hearing it, you just heard bam bam bam, non-stop. The gunman never had to reload. Shots just kept going, kept going, kept going," one witness told ABC News.
"I'm with coworkers and we're on the floor praying to God we don't get shot, and the gunshots continue on and on, and when the sound finally stopped, we started to get up and people were just bleeding," another theatergoer said.
Photos: Shooting at 'Dark Knight' Screening at Colorado Movie Theater
Police said 10 victims died inside the theater, while dozens of others were taken to local hospitals, including a child as young as 6 years old.
A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.
She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.
"You have the right person," she said.
"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado."
Holmes was wearing a bullet-proof vest and riot helmet and carrying a gas mask, rifle, and handgun, when he was apprehended, according to police. Holmes mentioned having explosives stored, leading police to evacuate his entire North Aurora apartment complex and search the buildings early this morning.
The highly-anticipated third installment of the Batman triology opened to packed auditoriums around the country at midnight showings on Friday morning, and features a villain named Bane who wears a bulletproof vest and gas mask. Trailers for the movie show explosions at public events including a football game. Though many moviegoers dressed in costume to attend the opening night screening, police have made no statements about any connection between the gunman's motives and the movie.

Police in New York have intensified security around showings of the film throughout the five boroughs today, with police commissioner Ray Kelley saying that "as a precaution against copycats and to raise the comfort levels among movie patrons in the wake of the horrendous shooting in Colorado, the New York City Police Department is providing coverage at theaters where the 'The Dark Knight Rises' is playing."
The Paris premiere of the movie has been cancelled in the wake of the shootings. "Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time," the movie's producers, said in a statement.
Witnesses watching movies in theaters next to the one where the shooting took place said bullets tore through the theater walls and they heard screaming.
"The suspect throws tear gas in the air, and as the tear gas appears he started shooting," said Lamar Lane, who was watching the midnight showing of the movie with his brother. "It was very hard to breathe. I told my brother to take cover. It took awhile. I started seeing flashes and screaming, I just saw blood and people yelling and a quick glimpse of the guy who had a gas mask on. I was pushed out. There was chaos, we started running."
One witness said she saw people dropping to the ground after the gunshots began.
"We were maybe 20 or 30 minutes into the movie and all you hear, first you smell smoke, everybody thought it was fireworks or something like that, and then you just see people dropping and the gunshots are constant," witness Christ Jones told ABC's Denver affiliate KMGH. "I heard at least 20 to 30 rounds within that minute or two."
A man who talked to a couple who was inside the theater told ABC News, "They got up and they started to run through the emergency exit, and that when she turned around, she said all she saw was the guy slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing at people, just picking random people," he said. "The gunshots continued to go on and on and then after we didn't hear anything...we finally got up and there was people bleeding, there was people obviously may have been actually dead or anything, and we just ran up out of there, there was chaos everywhere."
Witnesses and victims were taken to Gateway High School for questioning.
Hundreds of police and FBI agents are involved in the investigation. A senior official who is monitoring the situation in Washington said that early guidance based on the early snapshot of this man's background indicated that this act does not appear to be linked to radical terrorism or anything related to Islamic terrorism.
Though police have said that they believe the shooter was acting alone, they checked all cars in the parking lot and cleared the area near the theater.
Dr. Comilla Sasson, at the University of Colorado Hospital where many of the victims were taken, said they are currently operating on nine critical patients and have treated 22 in all. She called the hospital "an absolutely terrifying scene all night."
"The good news is that the 3-month-old has actually been discharged home and is in the care of their parents
In a statement, President Obama said, "Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded."
A man who was in the adjacent theater with his son, said that the commotion began as one of the action scenes was starting up.
"These guys came through, and they say someone's shooting," he said. "I thought, 'Oh, they must have heard the fireworks, you know ... I had no idea. And then the alarms started to go off in the theater.'"
An explosive device was also found inside the movie house. Police are not sure whether the device, which investigators are calling a bomb, was already in place or whether it was thrown into the crowd.
Ambulances rushed to the scene as audience members fled the theater.
Investigators are now interviewing friends and associates of the suspect to get a sense of the man's background.

It's a shame you can't go enjoy a movie without getting shot at. Hope they take the perp and let the victims families shoot him starting from the feet and work their way up.

There were many heroes in the crowd that helped or shielded others while taking hits themselves. That's what keeps me believing that there are still good people. The shooter was acting out some deranged fantasy that he was the Joker. Sucks.

He needs to die asap, i would have no problem executing him myself, Well actually i would choose to torture him first.

Wish there had been a properly trained armed citizen in the crowd, may have been able to stop him earlier.

I agree with all the previous posts and thoughts to all the innocent people.I wonder how tough these chicken shits would be if they knew everyone else in the theatre was armed:mad:

Kevin

Ya know? If our prison system would actually deter crime, peeps would be soooo much less inclined to commit crimes in the first place. Instead of air conditioning and satellite TV, maybe we should be looking at what the Russkies did back in the day. Once a perp went to the gulag, they decided real quick that prison life wasn't worth doing the crime. This guy was a first offender, but if he knew up front that he'd have his a$$ busted for life instead of laying around soaking up the A/C, maybe he wouldn't have been so inclined to be a "bad boy".

I live in the springs....but i was workin up the road from the theater. I got off work right when the shooting started around 12:30

He needs to die asap, i would have no problem executing him myself, Well actually i would choose to torture him first.

In cases like this one were there is no doubt of guilt. The courts need to expedite the process and take him to trial immediately and upon finding him guilty carry out the hanging and do it on national tv so everyone can see what happens to cowards who shoot unarmed citizens. Show no mercy for them.

Ya know? If our prison system would actually deter crime, peeps would be soooo much less inclined to commit crimes in the first place. Instead of air conditioning and satellite TV, maybe we should be looking at what the Russkies did back in the day. Once a perp went to the gulag, they decided real quick that prison life wasn't worth doing the crime. This guy was a first offender, but if he knew up front that he'd have his a$$ busted for life instead of laying around soaking up the A/C, maybe he wouldn't have been so inclined to be a "bad boy".

They should make them work. The farmers could use them and the states could generate some revenue by letting them go to the highest bidder. No more easy life and they could do their fair share to pay for room and board.

Wish there had been a properly trained armed citizen in the crowd, may have been able to stop him earlier.

Just think how different it could have been had people not been sitting ducks and were properly trained and armed....

The death count has risen since this mornings announcement :(

Devils Advocate -- This is why we need to have more gun control??
they are going to run with this tragedy and push a few more stupid laws.

The punishment needs to be more harsh than the crime. A person shouldn't do 10 years for murder. A murderer should be killed by the means chosen by the victims family. Rapist should have their hands and genitals mutilated so bad that they will never be able to use either again.

The punishment this guy should get is drawn and quartered by the weakest horses available. That way the horses have to try a few times to pull him apart. The more suffering the better.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families involved in this tragedy. I think they will send this guy to an insane asylum and let him go after a few years. The way the court system works today is a joke. They are too leanient on punishment. My brother got killed back in 1996, the guy that did it had a rap sheet as big as a dictionary,but only did about 2 years. My brother was only 31.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families involved in this tragedy. I think they will send this guy to an insane asylum and let him go after a few years. The way the court system works today is a joke. They are too leanient on punishment. My brother got killed back in 1996, the guy that did it had a rap sheet as big as a dictionary,but only did about 2 years. My brother was only 31.

Right there! Two really good (but horrible) reasons why I am sooooo disgusted with our "legal" system. There has been no real justice meted out since the days of Judge Roy Bean!

Devils Advocate -- This is why we need to have more gun control??
they are going to run with this tragedy and push a few more stupid laws.

Already starting.. Lefties are out in force, on the tv, public gatherings, etc. Lautenberg, Bloomburg, Larry king, all jacking thier jaws about the need to "control" guns...
Larry King is so ignorant, he thinks the punk had a machine gun!
1 well placed 40 cal in that moron's gas mask...ALL DONE!

There's at least 1 more "perp" involved in this tragedy.... The perps mother. If what she said when they went to their home is true, she needs to stand trial right beside this asshole....:mad:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...capitol-hill-and-beyond-for-tighter-gun-laws/