the temp gauge and XFI temp not accurate

qws2000

I have not driven the car for over a month, so I start the car and checking the fluids. The car is idling for about 5 min and I notice the temp gauge is over 150/ and the xfi edash screen is telling me its 170. I go to the radiator and notice the twin fans are on and the outside of the radiator is luke warm. I opened the cap I see the water 2inches down from the top and I touch the water just warm. While car is running and cap opened the water stays still.. I would think it would be flowing around? Any help thanks

I know my gauges are never the same as what my E dash says. Usually the XFI is a lower number say on the Temp gauge and I have new VDO gauges. Checking under the hood it's about the same as what the XFI says.

if two sources show different.. one or both is wrong ..
the xfi scaling or selection could be off or clt sensor could be bad , or your coolant gauge or its sensor is bad

It's rare that two different gauges will read exactly the same. Typically they are off by + or - 5%. Your probably not seeing water flow in the radiator because the thermostat has not fully opened yet. The water is circulating in the block though the bypass hose. The bypass hose is there to help the engine warm up faster.

I must be kinda lucky.

My gauges (Autometer) and XFI read almost exactly the same. Except for voltage. I have hot wires to the XFI and most all other major components now, and the voltage to the gauge is tee'd into whatever from a hundred years ago.

Either way, I would make sure the the sensor is good, it's chosen location is best, and its calibration in the XFI is correct. In the end, the XFI is God, and so the information it receives should be accurate.

All the other crap is just a visual reference point for you.

I see a little flow through my radiator when the thermostat is closed. But I have bypass hole in the flange of the thermostat.

Last edited: