the sound of a turbo spooling

racer5252

hey guys, let me start out by saying i am very hard of hearing. i just got these new hearing aids that are great. The problem now is when my turbo spools up i can hear noises that i never heard before. It sounds like a lot of air rushing ,almost a hissing sound. I rebuilt it myself last fall because of a smoking issue. is this sound normal?

hey guys, let me start out by saying i am very hard of hearing. i just got these new hearing aids that are great. The problem now is when my turbo spools up i can hear noises that i never heard before. It sounds like a lot of air rushing ,almost a hissing sound. I rebuilt it myself last fall because of a smoking issue. is this sound normal?

The 49's whistle's a bunch.

:eek:Yep, you got that right, the whistling sound....whooshing sucking air sound....sounds nice, doesn't it? Aren't you glad you got those hearing aids?? Why I say that? Easy.....

I wear two myself, and I'm a damn guitar player!!! And I say, the sweetest sound is a well tuned tubo v6. Especially at wide open throttle!!!!!

You're going to hear all kinds of weird things with those aids....trust me, I know....but.....I'm so grateful to be able to hear at all.....and standing next to Marshall Amps at top volumn, plus open header engines for years didn't do me any favors:rolleyes: I started going deaf when I was 7 as I was struck down with the German measles.:frown:

When I recently flew in a B25 Mitchell bomber, everyone has to wear headphones, the twin engines are so LOUD you can't hold any conversation, even shouting at the top of your lungs!!!! Silly me, I said I was deaf, so all I had to do is turn the aids off.....which I didn't....I HAD to hear those roaring powerful twins going full blast.....GOD, I thought I'd died and went to airplane heaven!!!!! Of course, after the one hour flight, my aid batteries were BOTH dead, so I changed them right there in the B25, and STILL couldn'd hear worth a crap for over two weeks!!!!!!!:eek:

Ahhhhhhh....haaaa,ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!! It was so well worth it. I hope the last sound I hear in my life is a loud roaring well tuned powerful engine, so I guess I'll just go up to Englishtown and stand at the middle of the quarter mile timing strip..........or maybe stand on some train tracks:rolleyes: Yeah, baby!!!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Sucking air
Whistling turbo
modest exhaust note
moaning driveline

It's a sweet symphony, don't you think?