The problem with racing "classes"...

Thank you "casper" for replying...However, I should have been more specific with my question...What I wanted to know is if there was other classes than TSM, TSO, etc...DURING (as opposed to "every day" like you said...) the big Buick event held there every year?...(I don't remember the name of the event nor the dates though...:redface: )
I live quite far from Bowling Green...so being there every weekend is out of the question for me!...:biggrin: so this is why I was inquiring about the bigger event as I could possibly make it a "once a year trip"...

thank you,

Claude :)

No you don't understand...The Bowling Green event is from Tue. thur Sat. every year.

What he is saying is that if you want to bracket race you can do all you want at the event.

Ah, ok...thanks for clarifying...:wink:

P.S: I guess that a motel in the area is next to impossible to find during that time...:rolleyes:

It's not that big a deal...Lots of people do reserve early, so if you are coming for sure it ain't a bad idea to get your reservation, but we have found them on Fri. night before with no reservation.

Just for curiosity, how many classes are there?...I've seen TSO TSM...A friend also told me about TSS or is it TSL, TSE?...I'm quite confused and I haven't been able to find the rules about each class...:confused:
Can somenoe please explain how many classes there are along with the rules for each of them?...
thank you,

Cl:smile:ude

There are several classes, but I can't find anything on the rules...Only place I can think of where I have seen them all for sure is in the paperwork I got at the Nats when I raced 2 years ago.

"casper", I went to that site and the classes were enumerated, but I haven't been able to find the rules explaining what's permitted or prohibited in each of the classes...does someone know where to look for this?
thanks,

Claude I'm with you on the heads up class's.It all comes down to who has the most money other then the 3 that both NHRA and IHRA have H/R, Q/R ..... which are throttle stop class's. Those are the most boring to watch IMO.

Bracket racing is affordable for everyone and probably the toughest to win. If I had the money I'd probably only race in heads up but I don't so I build my car as fast as I can afford and have fun.

I'll start off by saying bracket racing sucks. It sucks to race, it sucks to watch. It just sucks period:smile:

I race in the TSM class. Not too many rules besides the turbo limit and stock block. Not too hard to build a TSM car imo. Heads up racing is and will always be hard to control. However, when everyone is using the same car, same engine...it becomes easier to police. The only compromise my car has to fit the TSM rules is a 70 turbo...not too much of a big deal for me. I've raced brackets and heads up. NOTHING compares to racing headsup. It's easier for me to afford running this Buick class then trying to compete in any OSCRA race.

Besides, I don't see a lot of arguing ever going on in the TSM class. Maybe it's b/c I'm a noob at it:confused: I raced at 4 events this year and there was not one racer bitching about another racer's car (at least that I know of.)

X2, bracket racing is lame.

Bracket racing is more challenging than heads up racing any day of the week.Weather conditions,Track condition,Then dial in and than hit the tree with under a .009.That is why I love Heads up racing Just hit it and hold on ain't no dial in to worry about.RACE SAFE,GOD BLESS

I personally like bracket racing. Took a few years to learn to bracket race my turbo car. Once I figured it out went many rounds and some races. I won a trophy race earlier this year in a 87 T I bought and raced on the first day of ownership. To bracket race you must learn to build a car you can race. I think many of the buick turbo guys build cars to chase a time slip. That doesn't work in bracket racing. They don't go many rounds so they don't like bracket racing.

I never thought TSM would ever go this fast not sure anyone did. The guys that race the class determine the rules. If they want a block change they could get one. This is the first year that their was some talk of it. Most of the guys in the class have evolved their cars over the last 6 years of TSM. I personally remember Jason's car as a daily driver same with myself. The first year of TSM we hammered out a set of rules had at least 30-40 guys say they were in. 1st race we had 6 cars. You learn over the years that you cant make everyone happy. So the rules are the same as they have been since year 2. The racers keep coming. Scott and Myself dont make the rules we only enforce them. The TSM racers make the rules they are the ones I guess you would need to make happy.

-The thing with class racing is that only the faster guys have a chance to win every time because there is no handicap giving a chance to the slower car. Even if you did your best to get the most out of your car, there are times (especially when you're paired up against a much faster car than yours) when you just can't keep up with the "big guys" and this gets discouraging and frustrating 'cause you know you'll lose anyway, even before the race ever begins no matter what you do. Your only hope is if your opponent red lights...:rolleyes:
-My point is that we race mainly because we like to do so and TO HAVE FUN!..exactly the opposite of being frustrated. When I get back home after a day at the races, it feels good to think that I was able to win a round or two, or maybe winning the event!...a much better feeling than getting beat on the first round, week after week by the same faster guys...Over time, you lose interest and never go back to the track any more...:frown:
-That explains why I much prefer bracket racing. It gives EVERYONE a fair chance at winning no matter how fast or how rich you are...and don't get me wrong...I don't hate class racing...all I'm saying is that it's not for me.:wink:
- I think I showed the good points of bracket racing as well as the guys who prefer class racing...now all that's left becomes a matter of personal preference...:smile:

Claude :wink:

P.S: I still would've liked to see the rules for the different classes (TSO, TSM, TSE, TSS, TSL, ETC...) just for my curiosity...but haven't found anything...:frown:

Just for curiosity, how many classes are there?...I've seen TSO TSM...A friend also told me about TSS or is it TSL, TSE?...I'm quite confused and I haven't been able to find the rules about each class...:confused:
Can somenoe please explain how many classes there are along with the rules for each of them?...
thank you,

Cl:smile:ude

TSO and TSM are point series races that race at several Buick events. The other classes are GSCA only classes and are only run once a year in BG. TSO is the least restrictive class, if you can qualify with a 9.99 have stock style suspension and 88mm turbo or smaller your in:biggrin:

Rules for TSO will be on the website hopefully this week. This Web site coming soon
For now everything can be found here
Application:
TSO Top Gun Point Series Application - t6p.com - Turbo Buick Regal Resource

Schedule:
2008 TSO Top Gun Point Series Race Rules - t6p.com - Turbo Buick Regal Resource

Rules:
2008 TSO Top Gun Point Series Schedule - t6p.com - Turbo Buick Regal Resource

If I show up to a TSM event with a forward facing 70mm turbo and a sheetmetal intake I can run?Highly doubtful.....

Well, I think the rules state a stock intake and factory location on turbo, but what the heck...

Bring it, I'll run you!! :eek:

TSO and TSM are point series races that race at several Buick events. The other classes are GSCA only classes and are only run once a year in BG. TSO is the least restrictive class, if you can qualify with a 9.99 have stock style suspension and 88mm turbo or smaller your in:biggrin:

Rules for TSO will be on the website hopefully this week. This Web site coming soon
For now everything can be found here
Application:
TSO Top Gun Point Series Application - t6p.com - Turbo Buick Regal Resource

Schedule:
2008 TSO Top Gun Point Series Race Rules - t6p.com - Turbo Buick Regal Resource

Rules:
2008 TSO Top Gun Point Series Schedule - t6p.com - Turbo Buick Regal Resource

The TSO point series rule discussions were done off line and there was absolutely no B.S. whatsoever from guys that don't race the class like you see when they are done on the message boards. Tech is really simple at the events. If your car has stock suspension I don't see why you can't run with us. We welcome you to come race with us. The fastest car doesn't always win.

As long as it's Buick powered you can run brackets at the nationals and other Buick events. Bracket rules may also require a Buick body but you'll be fine there. I think they break it down into pro and footbrake and then index's like 12.00-13.99 so you don't have 9 second cars chasing 14 second cars. Cars "should" have proper safety equipment for the et but it's loosely enforced.

Heads up racing is just as fair as anything because everybody has the same rules but it's not for the guy who deosn't want to push his car to it's limits. This is not a slam to you but give a TSM guy your motor and he'll have an 8 second car....it's just a heads up racers nature.

Personally. I see a rule change coming on the block issue in TSM. Let the turbo and the heads be the limit. It won't happen this year but let these guys crack a few blocks with the power people are making now and see what happens. They'll get tired of it and go to a smaller turbo or make a block change to keep these motors reliable.

Personally. I see a rule change coming on the block issue in TSM. Let the turbo and the heads be the limit. It won't happen this year but let these guys crack a few blocks with the power people are making now and see what happens. They'll get tired of it and go to a smaller turbo or make a block change to keep these motors reliable.

Or they can just change the block and bolt on a larger turbo and race the TSO point series:biggrin:

Man, I hope there never is a block change in TSM:eek: It would no longer be the stock block class, rather a smaller turbo TSO class.

Or they can just change the block and bolt on a larger turbo and race the TSO point series:biggrin:

2 local TSO cars are in the works now. 1 will be ready for BG for sure. It's ready to fire as soon as I get time to set the distributor up.

No way I'd personally do a TSM car and dump that money into a $200 block knowing it's a matter of time before the oil pressure goes to 0 and it's split in the webbing. I think TSO is just as expensive as a top TSM car now. Maybe not for the 1st motor but the 2nd and 3rd catches you up quick;)