The NEW GN & GNX...coming soon America!!

I agree that accounting for inflation - the raw prices don't look so bad.
But I again say - that in the main - wages and incomes have not increased at that rate.
They have been flat, more or less, for 20 years.
Not individual persons - but overall.
There has been a pretty hard squeeze on incomes or expenses to be exact with increased costs for basic necessities like food, utilities, health care costs (uggghh); college tuitions (another ugghh) etc.
That's why I still look at folks who sign up for 40, 50, or 60K on 72, 84, 96 months and think they are nuts.
JayJ - you might have had a $400 payment - but for what term?
I'll bet 48 months back then.
Which is reasonable.
I only once had a car loan that was 48 months.
All my others were 24, then 36 months
I remember when they came out with 48, and I thought...hmmm
Then 60 and thought - dayum
Then 72 and holy shit shock set in
I think they do even longer now.
It's insanity.
Which is why most people borrow cars- i.e. = lease.
Another weapon of mass financial destruction.

That new Chevy SS sells for $47K, if you can find one. Anyone looking to by a new GNX is going to be stranded in that zone, or higher. I'm on the same page with Walt Heisenberg and now can't bring myself to finance a depreciating asset. When I bought my GN new on 2-4-88, I did it because I had that gut feeling that there would not be anything else coming down the pike to equal it for some time, if ever. And, yes, I did choke on the (gasp!) $400/month payments back in the late 80's-early 90's.. I can say that from this later viewpoint it was worth it, but sometimes back then it didn't seem like such a good move; I traded a perfectly good Monte SS in, and never missed that car at all! Got a little piece of history to show for it, and every mile has been mine.

Much as I like Holdens from Down Under - I would not pay $47K for that car.
Of course - I hadn't bought a new car - since...well..1987...:D
People like to say they depreciate the minute you hit the curb.
I like to say they depreciate the minute you drop the pen. :(
What kind of a deal is that?

I did a build and price on a 2014 Regal GS and it is $43,000. I would imagine that a GNX would run at least 50 to 60K. For anyone that wants one would have to wait for a used one to pop up in a year or two unless you can pay cash for a new one. On a different note a Jeep SRT8 is around 65K :(

As much as I like SRT8 - did you just read what you wrote?
A Jeep - for $65K?
Now that's insanity.
Murica.

Just for giggles and a price comparison, I ordered a new 1969 Corvette Conv 427 435hp tri-power 4 speed car with extra hardtop the day they hit the showroom floor (Sept 68) . List price (funny the things you remember) was $5985. I was making about $8000 a year and my dad about shit when I told him my car payment was $113 a month. So car was 74% of my yearly income. So to buy a new ZL1 vette today I'd have to be making....... oops calculator won't go that high.

Dayum dood - you're old! :D

I agree that accounting for inflation - the raw prices don't look so bad.
But I again say - that in the main - wages and incomes have not increased at that rate.
They have been flat, more or less, for 20 years.
Not individual persons - but overall.
There has been a pretty hard squeeze on incomes or expenses to be exact with increased costs for basic necessities like food, utilities, health care costs (uggghh); college tuitions (another ugghh) etc.
That's why I still look at folks who sign up for 40, 50, or 60K on 72, 84, 96 months and think they are nuts.
JayJ - you might have had a $400 payment - but for what term?
I'll bet 48 months back then.
Which is reasonable.
I only once had a car loan that was 48 months.
All my others were 24, then 36 months
I remember when they came out with 48, and I thought...hmmm
Then 60 and thought - dayum
Then 72 and holy shit shock set in
I think they do even longer now.
It's insanity.
Which is why most people borrow cars- i.e. = lease.
Another weapon of mass financial destruction.

You are correct--it was for 48 months and sometimes that seemed an eternity. The way they keep folks indentured to the bank is to get you to focus not on the cost, but how much you can"afford" in the way of a monthly payment. Paid cash 5 years ago for my Holden (G-8 GT) for use in business travel. Sure beats those monthly donations...

What will be the effect on the price of or cars if this 2014 turbo regal thing happens?

If you look at the value of the GTO when the uh....GTO rose from the dead....nothing. It did nothing to the collect ability or value of the original GTO. What it did do was inflate the price of the new car. I feel the nostalgia and the legend of the TR will over inflate the msrp of the "new" versions. That will pull a lot of people out if the market for the older cars because the consensus will be that the new one will be better, faster, etc.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I think the tuning of the new car will not be nearly as friendly to the brain or wallet as the old car is. I also fear the addition of independent rear axle will kill the car on the track. If they follow Cadillacs lead, the car will have fully independent suspension which translates to a road car, not a straight line terror.

A Buick GN is a fast, black 2 door and at least a V6 turbocar......anything other then that is not a GN! 4 doors will not be a GN and front wheel drive will not be a GN, I might go as far saying AWD would not be a GN so, let's hope Buick gets it right! I will admit, I was 16 when the 86 GN came out and back then the Buick top dog was the 70-72 GS 455 and at first when the 86/87 GN's came out everyone was like....what a V6 Turbo!!! GTFO!!! but, it was beating Camaros, Mustangs & Vettes and then aftermarket chips and other performance parts came out and all was good and forgiven for Buick not going with a 455!! To many people, it was the best Buick ever made! So, well have to see what Buick does, I hope they keep up with the Buick tradition of true performance! Let's hope the new GN demographic is not the under 30 crowd.....for the most part, they don't know & understand true performance and their high performance standards are low!! It will totally suck if the new GN is a Buick version of a STI or EVO....omg...wtf...that can not be forgiven!!!

A Buick GN is a fast, black 2 door and at least a V6 turbocar......anything other then that is not a GN! 4 doors will not be a GN and front wheel drive will not be a GN, I might go as far saying AWD would not be a GN so, let's hope Buick gets it right! I will admit, I was 16 when the 86 GN came out and back then the Buick top dog was the 70-72 GS 455 and at first when the 86/87 GN's came out everyone was like....what a V6 Turbo!!! GTFO!!! but, it was beating Camaros, Mustangs & Vettes and then aftermarket chips and other performance parts came out and all was good and forgiven for Buick not going with a 455!! To many people, it was the best Buick ever made! So, well have to see what Buick does, I hope they keep up with the Buick tradition of true performance! Let's hope the new GN demographic is not the under 30 crowd.....for the most part, they don't know & understand true performance and their high performance standards are low!! It will totally suck if the new GN is a Buick version of a STI or EVO....omg...wtf...that can not be forgiven!!!

This is semi-contradictory. The original GN was a winner because it was fast and broke away from convention and was criticized initially for doing so, as you stated. You then state that to depart now from what Buick did 25 years ago would be a travesty. Which side of the fence are you on? Turbo 4 cylinders make more power than even GNs did stock back in the day with good tunability to match, they get good mileage, goes against convention, sound funny when run hard; these all sound like GN traits to me.

I too want a throwback, but if a four door t-type gets the nod in order to sell two door GN's and hopefully a GNX, then I'm all for it. Twin turbo six is great too, but a RWD HO turbo four in said four door t-type would still be a true TR in my book. 300hp and 30mpg's are ok by me.

This is semi-contradictory. The original GN was a winner because it was fast and broke away from convention and was criticized initially for doing so, as you stated. You then state that to depart now from what Buick did 25 years ago would be a travesty. Which side of the fence are you on? Turbo 4 cylinders make more power than even GNs did stock back in the day with good tunability to match, they get good mileage, goes against convention, sound funny when run hard; these all sound like GN traits to me.

I too want a throwback, but if a four door t-type gets the nod in order to sell two door GN's and hopefully a GNX, then I'm all for it. Twin turbo six is great too, but a RWD HO turbo four in said four door t-type would still be a true TR in my book. 300hp and 30mpg's are ok by me.

Yea, I could of made my statement better/clearer but, at the begging of my previous statement....I mentioned what I thought a GN should be for the next GN generation but, "it's just my opinion....I am one out of a million opinions". Anyways, When Buick went from their top performance car consisting of a GS455 and went to their next top dog the GN, a decade later, it was ok due to the fact they did not use the GS name badge...although they did later on, I'll get to that in a minute so, the GN was NEW and exciting...as far as 86/87 models go.... so, if Buick uses the GN badge again...IMO they should keep it inline with the GN tradition, V6 Turbo, rear drive, 2 door, FAST and BLACK!! anything outside of that is not a GN and if they did go outside of those characteristics, then it probably won't be excepted by us mainstream GN enthusiasts but, then again we have to see what they are conjuring up....there could be greatness in the new GN!!?? Good high performance is usually greeted with open arms! So, I'm open to new and adventurous ideas that captures the hearts and minds of car enthusiasts Oh, I almost forgot, Buick used the GS badge again starting in 1989, it was basically a Regal with body skirts and guess what....my MOM bought one new in 89..lol. So, when I see the new GN 4 door version/renderings, it reminds me of the 89 GS which was a huge fail as far as performance cars go. So, I become concerned when i see the new GN might be a 4 door EVO or STI type car....4 cylinder, turbo front/AWD... in which I would dislike, not because I don't like 4 door turbo cars, I actually do to a certain extent but, I would find shameful to use the GN name on such a car of that type. Like I said, it's my opinion and selling cars in mass is not about my one way thinking, it's more about GM's concern with how many cars they could sell to a broad/wide variety of car people, instead of small group of GN enthusiasts. So, if they DO decide to do a 4 door performance car, they should not name it the GN..........Buick/GM has great talented people employed, I'm sure they could use their creative magic and come up with an all new name. That's my 2 cents! :)

From looking at the coverage No Buicks have been at the Detroit auto show however the 2015 ATS V 2 door coupe was revealed Monday.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-cadillac-ats-coupe-photos-and-info-news interesting enough underpowered non turbo v6 and turbo 4 are the options. Could this mean the platform for the Buick version is actually more powerful for the GN and GNX models? I am disappointed that there is no word on the GN / GNX but maybe GM doesn't want to steal thunder from the new Caddie and Vette. In a way it could be like the 80's when GM was low key about the Grand National and Turbo Buicks? The down side would be to have non turbo engines for the GN like the caddy.

Personally I think GM does not know how to leave well enough alone. They beat the crap out of the SS badge now this! A rerto type GN and GNX would be nice but I think that will never happen.

It's not happening.
They would have rolled it out at the show if it were.
That was what all the "insiders" were saying.
(Rolls eyes at you Edmunds)
Not going to be.
It does not fit anywhere into the Buick marketing scheme.
The Enclave and son of Enclave i.e - Encore - is Buick now.

It's not happening.
They would have rolled it out at the show if it were.
That was what all the "insiders" were saying.
(Rolls eyes at you Edmunds)
Not going to be.
It does not fit anywhere into the Buick marketing scheme.
The Enclave and son of Enclave i.e - Encore - is Buick now.
:(

IDK about GM anymore, I think they are crooks these days, a new Z28 is 75 fukin grand...which is BS so, what kind of crazy price would they want for a GNX and would GM/Buick actually make a proper GN or will it be a stupid version of a Caddy.....anyways, GM has really gone down hill since the mid 90's although, the performance has gotten better and better since the mid 90's but, that's due to improving technology/engineering but, GM's business practice is the true failure or thievery!! So, I don't anticipate anything good from GM at a fair/reasonable price. Either plop down a lot of seriously overpriced new car cash or GM will do everyone a sucker's favor of 72/84 or even 96 month payment plan...OMG! FU GM

Yeah I see junk yard builds every weekend at the track running 8s and low 9s. The GT500 still throws down 660 factory warrantied hp. If anybody thinks the new GN will even come close to competing with that then please enlighten me.

What I'm saying here is....PLEASE GM...don't trash the legendary name of the mighty GRAND NATIONAL. Don't build a new one, let the car go down in history as a technological marvel.

EXACTLY ! Hit the nail right on the head in my opinion right here. Leave the legend alone. This will end up being a insult to the origional.