The Last 1987 Buick Grand National...

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
will be interesting to watch how this plays out...

Kirban noted in his weekly InnerCircle email (a week or two ago) that he spoke with Bob Colvin recently and noted that GN was headed to auction citing he is getting older as the reason for the sale. I'm surprised Bob is not keeping/passing the car to his kid as seen in all those assembly line pics and video. Kid should be about 40 years old today. With the family being long time owners of a dealership (Spring Hill Motors) and the father having a car collection more than just the GN, I'm still surprised that the car is not staying within the Colvin family.

what many may not know is that there is another GN that is really the last one built.

Colvin has the last GN built for retail sales.

Larry Morgan, a B-O-C Flint body assembly worker, actually has the last GN built ------the last and final VIN, last Regal body, and the last car assembled in the Pontiac facility. He won the car in an employee drawing. Due to parts shortages, his car was set aside to be completed later so that Colvin's car would be completed on that December 11th day with the film crew in attendance. Morgan received his GN about a week after the plant closed.

LastGN_Built.jpg

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
a couple more newspaper articles from that time re: GM employee raffle (thanks to Paul @ winvoices dot com for finding these)

Attachments

• GM closing Pontiac Assembly - 10 Dec 1987.jpg
    GM closing Pontiac Assembly - 10 Dec 1987.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 39
  • GM raffles Grand National - 13 Dec 1987.jpg
    GM raffles Grand National - 13 Dec 1987.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 39

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
I'll make a bet it still leaks oil.

Interesting fact S&P avg return since 1987 is 10.85%. If he would have invested $20K in 87 he would have almost $664K.

T-type Jones

I have close to the last GN built in ‘86, does that count? Lol
It would if you could truly say, and prove that "you own the Grand National that ended ALL Grand Nationals", Let me ask you a question...Let's say we race for $500, and you win, but it was close, Do I get to keep some of your winnings for being close...Like a couple Hundred??? LOL

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
Donations
$25.00
a couple more newspaper articles from that time re: GM employee raffle (thanks to Paul @ winvoices dot com for finding these)
here is a thread with some other pics and documents...on this...lawrence P morgan ....and has another pic of the actual vin....

salvageV6

Daily Driver
I'm guessing those cars have about 200K miles each on them by now.... :cool:
I think I'd be more interested in owning the FIRST GN. :)

87GN Turbo6

Banned
I'll make a bet it still leaks oil.

Interesting fact S&P avg return since 1987 is 10.85%. If he would have invested $20K in 87 he would have almost $664K.
Why do people say this crap. Cars and the S&P are two different topics.

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Donations
$25.00
Old message from Phillip (RIP)

"This is Bob Colvin though (owner of the dealership that my car came from). Hard to imagine Uncle Jerry delivered Bob’s son Matthew who is quite grown here! Lol."

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00