The Jr. Draggster is running!

86gngirl

GN's. A girls best friend
Well, I just wanted to share this with every one in hopes of helping anyone out. We have been working on a Jr. Draggster for my youngest son and ran it for the first time 5/29/06. The tracks will not let the kids race until they are 8 yrs. old, so we had time to get it running. My boy turns 8 in June, so we have been working with him on a practise tree to get good at his lights.My boy is fearless, so I thought. ;) . A friend of ours son drives in Jr. classes at the track so he was the first one to drive the car, just to make sure everything was good to go before we slapped a beginer in it. So we took the car down on my street, and temperarely closed the road :D . Car ran perfect. Time for my son to take a turn. He got buckled in, we started the car, and you could see fear in his eyes, first time I ever saw that! We gave him some encouraging words and let him go. He puttered down the street slow. But thats ok, its the first time.He has watched me , my husband, and friends race at the track, so he had a clue of what to do, hit it and go! After 2 or 3 times of going slow he wanted to give it all she got! We just told him to go as fast as he felt comfortable. Well to my surprise he floored it and made a beautiful pass! When I got to him he had this big smile, somewhat evil looking, and I knew he was hooked! :biggrin: He had so much of an adrenaline rush his poor knees where shaking (I know the feeling) and his hands where shaking. I was the most proudest parent on earth. Even though it was only on the street and not compatition. He will be able to comp. race in June and cant wait. I don't really care if I don't go down the track again this year or not, I am focused on him to make sure he has a good time.

Well , I just thought I would share, and please be understanding with your kids when it comes to Jr. Draggsters. Its pretty scary for them, at least in my boys case it was, and keep it fun so they get the passion and respect for this sport. I would post some pics, but I cant get it to work. See you at the track!

I love that feeling too! Nothing like seeing your kids happy! Also he is very lucking to have parents like you and your husband. I only wish my parents gave 2 craps about what I liked to do when I was young. I am 39 years old and my parents still think me racing is stupid! Keep up the good work(parenting) and have fun!

vader87 said:
I love that feeling too! Nothing like seeing your kids happy! Also he is very lucking to have parents like you and your husband. I only wish my parents gave 2 craps about what I liked to do when I was young. I am 39 years old and my parents still think me racing is stupid! Keep up the good work(parenting) and have fun!
Hey thanks! We like the sport because its not political and you cant cheet. The lights just don't lie. I have seen too much crap go on in soccer, baseball, and peewee football. The kids can't have fun. Racing, imo, has the best high you could ever want. Not that I do, its just the best win or lose. Racing to me is the alltimit sport. You have to be machanicly smart, fast on your lights and drive good. So much time, swet, blood, and tears go into it and you get a final result. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to hit or kick a ball. Some do it better than others, I just don't see the thrill. Good luck in racing this year and thanks!

That's got to be a Kodak moment. To see his reaction after that first run.
Congratulations to your son! And to you for getting it running!

Can't wait until I can do the same.
We just got a new 1/8 mile strip in the next county.
But I have a long way to go on our J/D to get it ready.

they are a blast, i used to race one when i was younger. the best advise i can give you (this is coming from the kids point of view) is don't make too big of a deal out of it. don't make each and every race just so you can do good in points untill he was wanting to compete for points at the end of the year. i got pretty burned out trying to go to every race at 3 tracks, it went from something that was a lot of fun to a total chore to strap in the car and cut a light so my parents would be happy.

and spending thousands of dollars chasing tenths of seconds is pointless. it makes the car less consistant anyways and i can guarantee your kid won't notice a difference. go for fast 60 foots and a high stall clutch to make cutting lights easier for him. aside from that theres nothing wrong with running 16's.

He wont be in points this year and maybe next year. It's too much to ask of him at this point. I want him to love this not hate it. Also if he does not want to do this, thats ok too. Pretty much the balls in his court. He also understands that if his grades slip, the car goes. He has earned this car all the way, it wasn't a freebee on his part or ours.He has maintained A's and B's all through school and that was a condition of him getting the car. He's a good kid, with moments, like all kids do. Any advice is greatly welcome and thanks!

Zeus,
Great to hear about the track opening near you! If you need any help on finding parts or stuff we would be glad to help. We are useing a 5hp briggs motor. Nothin fancy. It was out of a pressure washer and kicked @ss in our friends kids car. His kid moved up in class and can go faster this year so we bought the Briggs off him. That briggs was taking out the $3,000 + Blockzillas last year. Plus his kid was deadly with the lights. Just proves money isn't everything. Good luck and keep in touch!

Hey Girl,

Thanks for the offer, I may need some help as soon as I get there. Trying to finish the money making project right now so I can get to it. Got to get the frame blasted and painted (bad rust) before I can get to the motor. It's an old one (original spitzer, s/n 13), but it too has the B&S 5hp only converted to run on alcohol. It used to be consistant as the day is long when our oldest ran it and brought home all the trophys, but it has been sitting for some time and may need some work. It wasn't taken care of for a while before we got it back (long story). Also have to find a replacement reat spoiler. And tires (dry rotted).

Denn makes a good point about it just being fun. Our oldest and I considered putting a motorcycle engine on it and just running exibition all the time, but we will have to see how the money works out.

That would be cool to race when your 8. Wish I had that same opportunity. Just as long as he is having fun.

Jason

Just curios to know where you would get any information about this. i dont have a kid but just curios for the future.

Thanks in advance.

JoeNational said:
Just curios to know where you would get any information about this. i dont have a kid but just curios for the future.

Thanks in advance.
Check your local track for class info. Some rules maybe different. Summit sells ready to go cars, just add paint and kid. We got ours as a roller off of ebay and added motor and kid. Motivational Tubing is a great comp. that sells parts and very helpful with any questions. They also have a web site, (same name) .com . Hope this helps. If you need more info , please just ask. I don't know everything but might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Hey 86gnGirl

I'm thrilled for you, wish I had kids that would of enjoyed that,
just reading your thoughts made me smile :biggrin:
and we all know the family that plays together, stays together.
my only word of caution, he will want the big car soon enough, yea ,I'm talking the GN, so... enjoy it.

thanks for the smile
cruzn57

cruzn57 said:
I'm thrilled for you, wish I had kids that would of enjoyed that,
just reading your thoughts made me smile :biggrin:
and we all know the family that plays together, stays together.
my only word of caution, he will want the big car soon enough, yea ,I'm talking the GN, so... enjoy it.

thanks for the smile
cruzn57
Its already his, when I die that is. It was promised to him years ago. He can change the oil and filter on it. If I wash it he is in charge of the wheels and wheel wells (scaping rubber and polishing). I 've had him under that car when he was 3 yrs. old. Our track started a new class called TCR, Teen comp. racing. They can race 1/8 in your mini van if they want. They can't go faster than 13 seconds in the 1/8, I think. I still have time on that class!

vader87 said:

Man, I can totally relate

My dad had me playing baseball for 9 years even though I sucked and I hated it. The one year I did something else and kicked ass (soccer) was the only year i did that. And forget about any type of racing, from bikes to cars, I never had any kind of support. They still think my car hobby is retarded and I'm 27, talking about me wasting money... nevermind all the crap they waste their money on.

anyway, sounds cool 86Gngirl. Hope he enjoys it.

86gngirl said:
Its already his, when I die that is. It was promised to him years ago.
You are one good parent, and you still have a long time to enjoy it.

My wife has told all our kids that she will be buried in our GN and that none of them will get it. I honestly think she's kidding but hasn't changed her tune since I met her. If we told any of our kids anything close to that, they would be trying to put us in our grave!

zeus87gn said:
My wife has told all our kids that she will be buried in our GN and that none of them will get it. I honestly think she's kidding but hasn't changed her tune since I met her. If we told any of our kids anything close to that, they would be trying to put us in our grave!
I thought of the same thing! But I can't bare the thought of my car getting dirty and rusting away with my grose decaying body in the front seat. Sorry to get so graphic on that. :redface: I just want to leave my boy with good memories of the things we did together.

Thanks to everyone posting! My boy came home from school yesterday and wanted to drive the car again! I need to get more methanol! :biggrin:

I let him read some of the posts here and he wanted to say thanks. If any of you have advice for the little guy, post it and I'll let him read it and thanks in advance!

Congratulations! I got my son an unbuilt Jr for Christmas when he was 7. We spent 10 months building it. I wouldn't work on it unless he was helping me. For his 8th birthday, we rented the track. He got the hang of it very quickly. The speed "bug" got him and we have gradually made it faster (picked up 2 seconds in the first year!). He'll be 10 this October and races with me at all of the events that he's allowed to.

HighPSI said:
Congratulations! I got my son an unbuilt Jr for Christmas when he was 7. We spent 10 months building it. I wouldn't work on it unless he was helping me. For his 8th birthday, we rented the track. He got the hang of it very quickly. The speed "bug" got him and we have gradually made it faster (picked up 2 seconds in the first year!). He'll be 10 this October and races with me at all of the events that he's allowed to.
Congrats! Its such a cool sport because everyone is willing to help how ever they can. Tell your son we wish him luck and thanks. If he has any advice, have him put it up. My sons 8th b/d falls on a sunday, but I think they are using the track that day. I dont want to send him down with all those cars there, but thats a great idea about renting the track. I'll have to check in to that. Thanks!