The Crusty 87 GN

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to show off my new project car...the Crusty GN.
It's been sitting with the drivetrain out for the last 6 years. It's amassed a lot of acorns, pine straw, dirt and grim. It's mostly rust free. I found a couple of spots in the floorpan on the driver's side and the passenger side, but nothing that concerns me very much. It'll be an easy fix.
I did a Carfax on it and found that it was originally sold in West Chicago, IL on 1/11/88. It was registered in Mississippi in Feb 1995 and has been in MS since.
One of my buddies, Kenny, bought it a few months ago and assembled the original engine with mostly stock components. Most of the parts were included with the car. The previous owner just ran out of enthusiasm or money...not sure which. Several new parts were included with the car when he bought it.
It included a Comp 206/206 hyd roller along with the appropriate lifters, springs, pushrods, timing set, etc. It also had some 36 lb/hr FAST injectors and an old TH downpipe.
My friend did his homework and assembled the engine himself. His Son owns a transmission shop and freshened the original transmission for him. They installed a new TCI 2500 stall 12" torque converter. It included some new eBay leaky headers. They don't fit the best, but seem to work ok for now. Kenny came and borrowed my Casper's cam tool and got it adjusted properly. He got it running by himself. It didn't run great, but it ran!

Fast forward to around 3 weeks ago. I think Kenny just got tired of all of the little issues that the car had. It really didn't run very well. It was very rich at idle. He tried a new MAF and that helped some, but it just wasn't right. He called and asked if I wanted to buy the car. He delivered it an hour later. I was excited to get another GN!

IMG_8494.jpg

It's not the nicest GN that I've owned, but it's a decent start. First thing I wanted to do was to get it running properly.
After a couple days of driving it, I knew that it needed an ECM upgrade. I installed a FAST XFI system along with the Casper's adapter harness.
After a little tuning, it runs great now.
The tires were rotted from years of sitting, so I installed some Billet Specialties wheels that I had left over from one of my other cars.
The car is a fairly original 36 year old GN. As best as I can determine, it has around 101k miles on it.
The original radio and speakers were still in the car! Unfortunately, they barely worked. I upgraded to an aftermarket Walmart radio and some Pioneer speakers that I had sitting around. It was a major improvement.
The plan for this one is to keep it as a driver. I'm thinking a high 10 second car shouldn't be too hard to do with today's technology and still be able to drive it anywhere.
I'm planning on having it mechanically done over the next 4-5 weeks, as soon as all of the parts that I just ordered arrive.
I'll be updating the thread with the current dyno numbers and quarter mile numbers in a day or two.

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
Here are a couple more pics. I just installed the Billet Specialties wheels and changed oil. I started the Alky Control kit installation, but will finish it up after Christmas. It's time to do a little dynoing first to get a baseline.
IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
Thanks for the reply TexasT. It's not too bad. It will need some work to get the aesthetics up to par. I have a good friend that is good with paint and body work. Hope to drop it off with him early Springtime. In the meantime, the plan is to get everything working and to add some horsepower.

Just a quick Christmas update...I got to strap it on the dyno. It made 296 rwhp corrected (305hp uncorrected) and 355 ft lbs. Boost averaged 13.5 psi during the pull. The old fuel pump didn't keep up very well. Injector DC went to 100% at 4800 rpm. It's time for some fuel system upgrades and to finish the alky kit installation. That'll be completed in the next couple days.

Merry Christmas!

IMG_8615.jpg

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
Just a quick update before I upgrade the fuel system and take a little weight out of it. I had to get the Dragy out and make a couple quick passes while it's still at stock boost and stock weight.
I had a hard time hooking on the ol Hwy 4 dragstrip. Lol. Finally got a couple of decent passes by footbraking 2400 rpm and leaving around 2.5 psi boost. It went 13.3 at 104 mph with only a 2.2 sixty foot. It only averaged 12.5 psi boost in 2nd gear and just touched 14 psi boost in 3rd gear. I'll try it again in a few days with the new 525 lph pump and some 80 lb injectors and some more boost.
IMG_8631.PNG

V6BEAST

Escaped mental patient
Donations
$40.00
Here are a couple more pics. I just installed the Billet Specialties wheels and changed oil. I started the Alky Control kit installation, but will finish it up after Christmas. It's time to do a little dynoing first to get a baseline.
View attachment 372462
View attachment 372463
How do you have that 4" CAI hooked to the turbo bell? Or is it just sitting there?
And SD? Or is the MAF hidden somewhere?

chopped39

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to show off my new project car...the Crusty GN.
It's been sitting with the drivetrain out for the last 6 years. It's amassed a lot of acorns, pine straw, dirt and grim. It's mostly rust free. I found a couple of spots in the floorpan on the driver's side and the passenger side, but nothing that concerns me very much. It'll be an easy fix.
I did a Carfax on it and found that it was originally sold in West Chicago, IL on 1/11/88. It was registered in Mississippi in Feb 1995 and has been in MS since.
One of my buddies, Kenny, bought it a few months ago and assembled the original engine with mostly stock components. Most of the parts were included with the car. The previous owner just ran out of enthusiasm or money...not sure which. Several new parts were included with the car when he bought it.
It included a Comp 206/206 hyd roller along with the appropriate lifters, springs, pushrods, timing set, etc. It also had some 36 lb/hr FAST injectors and an old TH downpipe.
My friend did his homework and assembled the engine himself. His Son owns a transmission shop and freshened the original transmission for him. They installed a new TCI 2500 stall 12" torque converter. It included some new eBay leaky headers. They don't fit the best, but seem to work ok for now. Kenny came and borrowed my Casper's cam tool and got it adjusted properly. He got it running by himself. It didn't run great, but it ran!

Fast forward to around 3 weeks ago. I think Kenny just got tired of all of the little issues that the car had. It really didn't run very well. It was very rich at idle. He tried a new MAF and that helped some, but it just wasn't right. He called and asked if I wanted to buy the car. He delivered it an hour later. I was excited to get another GN!

View attachment 372443

It's not the nicest GN that I've owned, but it's a decent start. First thing I wanted to do was to get it running properly.
After a couple days of driving it, I knew that it needed an ECM upgrade. I installed a FAST XFI system along with the Casper's adapter harness.
After a little tuning, it runs great now.
The tires were rotted from years of sitting, so I installed some Billet Specialties wheels that I had left over from one of my other cars.
The car is a fairly original 36 year old GN. As best as I can determine, it has around 101k miles on it.
The original radio and speakers were still in the car! Unfortunately, they barely worked. I upgraded to an aftermarket Walmart radio and some Pioneer speakers that I had sitting around. It was a major improvement.
The plan for this one is to keep it as a driver. I'm thinking a high 10 second car shouldn't be too hard to do with today's technology and still be able to drive it anywhere.
I'm planning on having it mechanically done over the next 4-5 weeks, as soon as all of the parts that I just ordered arrive.
I'll be updating the thread with the current dyno numbers and quarter mile numbers in a day or two
I bought my Limited from Crossroads Buick in West Chicago IL.

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
I decided to put ol Crusty on a diet. I had a few lightweight parts sitting around that needed to be used.
The TCI 351106 mini-starter is the lightest one that I could find. It weighted in at around 7 lbs. That saved around 11 lbs total.
I had some aluminum bumper supports that were left over from a previous car. That saved around 38 lbs.
The manual driver's side seat saved several pounds from the factory power seat, but I forgot to weight it. I may do it tomorrow.
The Billet Specialty wheels saved around 48 lbs!
The F-body radiator didn't make it here yet, but should be here Wednesday.
The PTC non-lockup 9.5" converter just arrived. I'm anxious to see how much weight it saves.
IMG_8623.jpg
IMG_8624.jpg
IMG_8645.jpg
IMG_8639.jpg

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
I just realized that the pic of the rear bumper with the alum support didn't show the weight. It was 40.4 lbs. The total weight savings for both bumpers was 38 lbs. I got a couple more weight savings parts today. The bumper brackets and some older Sylvania plastic headlights.
The bumper brackets saved around 7.4 lbs. I only had a couple of high beam plastic headlights. They saved a little over a pound.

I also finished up the Alky Control meth kit installation today. I love the way Julio has constantly tweaked and improved his kits. This was the easiest installation yet. Tomorrow, I'll upgrade the fuel pump and injectors. Next week I'll strap it to the dyno again and crank up the boost.
IMG_8660.jpg
IMG_8661.jpg
IMG_8683.jpg

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
I made a little more progress on Crusty today. The old fuel pump looked terrible. I'm really surprised that it performed as well as it did.
The 525 lph pump will do the trick nicely. It does have a little too much pressure at idle, but with minor tweaking on the XFI, it idles great again.

I also removed a few more pounds. The F-body radiator arrived today. I got it installed this morning. It was 11 lbs lighter than the original. The oil cooler delete saved another 3 pounds.

IMG_8685.jpg
IMG_8686.jpg
IMG_8690.jpg
IMG_8687.jpg
IMG_8691.jpg

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
I've been struggling to get the exhaust leaks fixed on the car. It had a blown header gasket and turbo gasket. The crossover pipe was touching the flexplate. It had nearly machined a hole in the crossover pipe. I pulled it all apart and installed gaskets and welded the crossover pipe.
It's better now, but still has a small header tick. I painted the downpipe with some high temp black paint. It looks much better than the white paint.

I also installed an electric cutout while I was there. Once I reassembled the car, the fuel pump wouldn't turn on. Turns out that the orange wire at the battery was broken internally. It took a few minutes to find that one.

Hopefully I'll have the new turbo and intercooler in a few days.

IMG_8724.jpg

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
Well, it looks like I'll be installing ported heads a little sooner than anticipated. My vacuum line to the MAP sensor popped off and popped the DS head gasket. Unfortunately, it was only 15 psi boost...so, it wasn't even turned up yet.

IMG_8771.jpg

Kevin87TurboT

How many can I own??
These should help the flow just a bit. My buddy Chris Hogeland has worked on a set of heads for me. Hopefully my turbo will be here in a few days too.

IMG_3518.JPEG

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
^^^ That looks real nice!

It is much harder to accomplish than it initially appears.

Could you post some pics of the guides?

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00