Thanks to Auston Powers *aka Craig* and Lance

UR50SLO

The Reaper
Thanks to Craig and Lance and George for holding the tech session and a hell of a informative day at Mid Michigan Motorplex.

I think everyone got to have some input from the two best guys.

Looking forward to the next event in the spring of 02!

It was well worth the trip to have the track to run test passes and tuning help from the experts Hope to see more people there next year!

Scott,Chris and Bill at Power Concepts,Inc.:D

Ps... When are we having the block party with Craig's Monster Swingin' RV? Is Auston Powers Invited? yea baby...:p

Yes, It was well worth the drive to meet and talk to both Craig and Lance! I will definately attend the next Fast Fest. Maybe a lot more people will attend. Anyone that didn't go, and could have went, really missed out. Thanks again to both Craig and Lance for putting this together, I really appreciated the help guys. See you at the next Fast Fest..................Jason

For those of us that just could not make it due to work commitments please share with us some of the more informative information you learned. Anything in particular such as assumptions on how you thought something worked, tuning tips or shortcuts, things like that.

Lance or Craig, did you notice any common misconceptions or tuning hiccups that might be worthwhile to share?

Thanks

Things we needed to fix!

We brought two Camaro's to the event.

1st car) 86 base Camaro with a 87 3.8L buick, Stock rods,crank,Billet Caps,JE pistons,GN1 Heads,CAS Front mount,200R4 Trans *that is slipping very badly* 9" With 3:89 Gears 10Pt Cage,72mm Turbo.

2nd Car) 89 Camaro RS 87 Buick 3.8L, Same bottom end, Stock heads we ported, same rear&gear, Two Stock IC's Welded together 3"inlet/outlet front mount *lower tems than the CAS much to our suprise:D *,.72mm turbo,350TH trans with a very low stall.. 18-1900.

Car 1 Story, We had been having trouble with it poping only a few feet off the line and continuing the same pattern down the track we could only muster a 12.10 at our local track @119mph with 14lbs/boost. 2.2 60'.
1)We found that we needed to move the Air Temp Sensor into the Penum where it can read the incoming air from the turbo.. not the incoming air before the turbo.

2) Lance had me record a pass with the poping and found that the ecu was seeing knock (proably exhaust hitting under the car)
So we set the knock retard to 0. THe next pass was 1.59 60' (I about wet my self)Tires in the air ending with a 11.3 @ 117 but I had to let out in 3d gear because I thought I heard some detonation... but was not sure.

3) After making several more passes in the low 11's and still hearing the noise in 3'd *if it was 3'd the trans is so trashed that It realy did not shift:p * I took some timing out and it still made the noise.

4) I finaly made a full throttle pass and took out the passenger side headgasket Now, Back in the pits we found out why, we had setup the stock fuel rail with a -6 inlet from a fuel press. regulator and around where the return is (on the stock rail) has a auto meter fuel press. gauge (dead headed) so you have fuel entering on the drivers side and then when it makes the bend to the pass. side all 3 injectors during a pass were getting starved of fuel~:eek:

5) Even though the trans was toasted and we took out the headgasket on the pass. side we know that the car is capable of easy 10's with 14-15lbs of boost on pump gas once we take care of the little problems.

Car #2) This does not have a happy ending like the first car.
We have to run 39Deg of timing under full boost. That's right 39Degrees. It go's against all I've ever done. It's like a N/A Small block or somthing. If you put in 19deg. like car 1 it bucks and sputters down the track... It's had me puzzled since we put it together.
1) Lance put in the normal setting you would see for our setups.. went from a 12.4@123mph to just about nothing could not make a pass. We ended up coming to the conclusion that the camshaft may have been ground wrong or the timing set is off. ANYONE ELSE HAVE RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM?????? HELPPP!
2) Fuel rail is setup just like car 1... Air tem Sensor still needs to be relocated to plenum. and WB O2 needs to be relocated to the Down pipe instead of stock location.
3) The stall conveter is WAY too low.. it won't build boost till past the 60' then the car seriously comes live 123mph! When the stall and the camshaft timing issue/fuel/o2 ect are repaird Car#1 better watch out with this one's mph :D

I think that I am going to put a Buick in my 2700lb S-10 for next year Then We'll have Chris's Camaro (#2) Paul's Camaro (#1) My S10 and my wife has 2 86 T-Types... Look forward to seeing Lance and Craig and All the guys* Nice to meet you!* Very nice TTA there, The black GN that went high 11's, the one black Gn that went 9.40's on a easy pass, The two Dodge trucks that run Stock Elemn. Class... (I need his number to fix the trans in the Camaro if anyone knows it JTR trans I think.. ?) We'll see you all again soon....

~The Guys here at Power Concepts,Inc. Elkhart IN.