Texas Title Transfer Questions

IMCA67

I am picking up my GN next week, from out of state. What paperwork do I need to bring for the seller to sign to get the Texas title? Just the same Texas title transfer application that you use for in state purchases? Also, the DMV website presumptive value VIN decoder shows the value at $0 for these cars. How do they determine what you pay taxes on? Do I need a bill of sale that shows I paid $2000 for it so I don't get raked over the coals? Also, do I have to get an out of state inspection on it before I go to get the title transfer or does it matter when? Do I have to turn over the out of state plates? Should the seller keep them? Sorry for all of the questions, but I have never bought a vehicle out of state and am trying to get my ducks in a row so I don't have to fight with the "lovely" people down at the tax office. Thanks.

It would be to your advantage to get the title transfer documents taken care of at the time you get the car. Send it to the person you're buying it from if not pickingit up yourself. The service station will give you the form you'll need to help in getting the title transferred. You better get that bill of sale with the title or get ready to pay taxes on 1 1/2 the book value of that car. You'll be looking at around $20,000 as the value so you'll pay your 8.25% from that. The touchy part will be the title transfer documentation. Hope that helps you some.

You will need to get a green sheet when you get it inspected before the tags are issued to you. The value is based on NADA values. Here's the current listings for an 87 GN with A/C and astro roof for you Low, average, and high retail.
9,293 $15,068 $31,605

You will need to get a green sheet when you get it inspected before the tags are issued to you. The value is based on NADA values. Here's the current listings for an 87 GN with A/C and astro roof for you Low, average, and high retail.
9,293 $15,068 $31,605

So I need to get the safety inspection done and get a green sheet first. Makes sense.

The VIN decodes to a Buick Regal on the presumptive value checker on TXDOTs website. How would they know its not a plain jane Regal, vs. a GN with much higher value? The out of state title says regal, etc. I have never had them actually look at the car on others I have done in state. Seems like if they were just going to check NADA it would be easy just to tell them its a base Regal. Any ideas? I'm sure the state will manage to squeeze the most tax money out of me though.

It would be to your advantage to get the title transfer documents taken care of at the time you get the car. Send it to the person you're buying it from if not pickingit up yourself. The service station will give you the form you'll need to help in getting the title transferred. You better get that bill of sale with the title or get ready to pay taxes on 1 1/2 the book value of that car. You'll be looking at around $20,000 as the value so you'll pay your 8.25% from that. The touchy part will be the title transfer documentation. Hope that helps you some.

Thanks for the help. I will be picking it up myself, so no problem with getting all the title application stuff taken care of in person. If I have a bill of sale, would they use that for the value instead of NADA? I bought a Dodge Magnum from my company last year dirt cheap, since they just depreciate them out and offer to employees at the end of their 3 or 4 year cycle. I gave them the paperwork that showed what I paid which was not even 1/3 of the presumptive value and they only taxed me on what i actually paid.

It's going to depend entirely on the person at the counter, but the current state law is to use a VIN decoder and NADA values. They may not take the time to do it though.

I just got mine tagged in Texas. They make you pay 90 bucks for first time reg on that vehicle in texas. saftey inspecion cost 15. There is a place here that will pass anything if you need it. My total was $177 plus $15 for the inspection.

I just got mine tagged in Texas. They make you pay 90 bucks for first time reg on that vehicle in texas. saftey inspecion cost 15. There is a place here that will pass anything if you need it. My total was $177 plus $15 for the inspection.

How did they determine the value to tax you on? Did you give them a bill of sale?

car has a basic HP rating of 35. They just wanted a insurance card and old regristration. Difference was I already had a out of state tag. I bought a bike here. I just gave them the title, unsurance card, and I think that I wrote down what I paid for it. Texas has a min amount that they will tax you on. Example if you say you bought a car for a buck, they will still bill you for paying $500 for the car. That is not the actual numbers, but you get the point. They will still get their money. I said I paid 2k for my bike and they charged me like 2 bills or something for tax, title and regristration.

I got all my paper work done a couple of weeks ago. I have an 87 GN and there was no presumptive value. They went on what I told them.

On top of that, the only signature that I needed from the previous owner was on the title. I filled out the form that states what I paid (can't remember the form number). It has a spot on it for the previous owners signature. He told me to forge it. I called the tax office and they said that I don't need even need it so I left it blank.

I could have put that I paid $2k for the car and it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. The title says 1987 Regal. Even if it said GN, it is still a 23 year old Buick. I was honest (it is a felony to lie) but I probably could have put that I paid $50 for it and walked right out.

If you don't get it titled within 21 days there is another fee. ($75 per month?)

There may be a minimum on the tax you pay, but there is no presumptive value in Texas on an 87 GN.
They don't use NADA anyway. It is some other book that apparently doesn't have prices for our cars.

Tax is 6.25% not 8.25%. They didn't ask for a bill of sale. DON'T tell them you paid $11k if you did. My car wasn't running when I bought it. I paid tax on what I paid for it (much less than half that). No questions asked.

ALSO, I just needed proof of insurance on ANY car, not the GN (though it is/was insured), and I don't think it has to be inspected (though mine was).

I got all my paper work done a couple of weeks ago. I have an 87 GN and there was no presumptive value. They went on what I told them.

On top of that, the only signature that I needed from the previous owner was on the title. I filled out the form that states what I paid (can't remember the form number). It has a spot on it for the previous owners signature. He told me to forge it. I called the tax office and they said that I don't need even need it so I left it blank.

I could have put that I paid $2k for the car and it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. The title says 1987 Regal. Even if it said GN, it is still a 23 year old Buick. I was honest (it is a felony to lie) but I probably could have put that I paid $50 for it and walked right out.

If you don't get it titled within 21 days there is another fee. ($75 per month?)

There may be a minimum on the tax you pay, but there is no presumptive value in Texas on an 87 GN.
They don't use NADA anyway. It is some other book that apparently doesn't have prices for our cars.

Tax is 6.25% not 8.25%. They didn't ask for a bill of sale. DON'T tell them you paid $11k if you did. My car wasn't running when I bought it. I paid tax on what I paid for it (much less than half that). No questions asked.

ALSO, I just needed proof of insurance on ANY car, not the GN (though it is/was insured), and I don't think it has to be inspected (though mine was).

Thanks for the info! Did you buy yours out of state? I think for in state you won't have to get it inspected first, but all out of state transfers, I believe you have to get the inspection and green sheet first.

Have a question myself about title and tags

I recently purchased a car from out of state. Went to title it and was told it had to be inspected first. On txdot site it says that if you moved here from out of state you have to get inspection to transfer title. Guessing that I have to assume that buying from out of state and moving from out of state mean the same thing, but thats not what it says. So what happens if the car does not pass inspection and you have already paid for it.

I recently purchased a car from out of state. Went to title it and was told it had to be inspected first. On txdot site it says that if you moved here from out of state you have to get inspection to transfer title. Guessing that I have to assume that buying from out of state and moving from out of state mean the same thing, but thats not what it says. So what happens if the car does not pass inspection and you have already paid for it.

From what I have learned, you will have to get it inspected first, and get a green sheet aka vin verification from the inspection station, in order to transfer the title to Texas. If its 25 yrs or older, I believe, you don't have to pass the emissions part. Just safety. If it fails the emissions part, guess you got to keep tuning on it until it passes.

Thanks for the info! Did you buy yours out of state? I think for in state you won't have to get it inspected first, but all out of state transfers, I believe you have to get the inspection and green sheet first.

Mine was a Texas car, but it hadn't been inspected since 1999. I didn't show proof of inspection. It would be funny if a current CA inspection is no good but an 11 year old expired TX inspection gets you plates and title with your name on it. :rolleyes: It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

If it isn't passing inspection (because of mods), you are taking it to the wrong place. My car is legit and legal, but I see so many cars that are not even kind of legal on the road every day. Talk to one of those guys. If you see a front mount on a 240sx and it has a current inspection sticker, the owner knows a place where your car will pass. Getting them to help you is another issue.

A good ice breaker with ANY real car person is "I own a Grand National." If they don't know what that means, they probably can't help you anyway.

Mine was a Texas car, but it hadn't been inspected since 1999. I didn't show proof of inspection. It would be funny if a current CA inspection is no good but an 11 year old expired TX inspection gets you plates and title with your name on it. :rolleyes: It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

If it isn't passing inspection (because of mods), you are taking it to the wrong place. My car is legit and legal, but I see so many cars that are not even kind of legal on the road every day. Talk to one of those guys. If you see a front mount on a 240sx and it has a current inspection sticker, the owner knows a place where your car will pass. Getting them to help you is another issue.

A good ice breaker with ANY real car person is "I own a Grand National." If they don't know what that means, they probably can't help you anyway.

I have a place that should be able to inspect it. I am in the insurance business, and deal with a lot of shops that do inspections. I don't expect to have any issues, car is mostly stock and in good mechanical condition, but it is 23 years old, so you never know what kind of gremlins you might get.

...but it is 23 years old, so you never know what kind of gremlins you might get.

Damn straight.

At least you won't have to worry about having to automatically pay taxes on the NADA value of your car (I was stressed about that). That would eat a lot of gremlin killing money.:biggrin:

Welcome to the scary-fast Buick world. Get ready to meet a bunch of strangers and have guys on the highway (never the ladies :frown:) stalk you to give a thumbs up. You must be excited.

Thats funny, people usually gang up behind me then will cruise by with a honk or a thumbs up. Welcome:cool: