TE45A which exh housing should I use?

I was just going to run it with the Precision .63 and see how I liked it and go from there but as fate would have it a Garrett .63 landed in my hands after I started this thread
This is the best possible situation because now you can test the two housings for yourself. I would do as you originally planed and run the Precision first because you will learn the difference between the spool times of the smaller and bigger engines. Then change to the Garrett and learn the difference between the two turbine housings which will make you the go to guy when someone asks the same question you asked when you started this thread. You won't be guessing,you'll be sharing your real world experience. You will be able to share your experience about two different sized engines and two different sized housings. If you change to the Garrett before running the new engine,you won't be able to tell anyone how much the bigger engine helped nor how much the smaller housing helped.

Yes report back please.

Lucky, we have a compressor map for the 66 Garrett compressor wheel that comes on that turbo. I see why the Buick crowd had so much success on it has a very wide pressure ratio range! Damnnnn ...

looks to rated 700hp + with 65 turbine.
Moves 72 #/min ....

Attachments

• 1CCED109-C1E1-498D-A46F-6C069CBAB9F9.png
    1CCED109-C1E1-498D-A46F-6C069CBAB9F9.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 132
Yes report back please.

Lucky, we have a compressor map for the 66 Garrett compressor wheel that comes on that turbo. I see why the Buick crowd had so much success on it has a very wide pressure ratio range! Damnnnn ...

Moves 72 #/min ....
I would say it does that on my car. I wouldn’t mind trying the Garrett housing to see if the smaller .63 has a benefit over the precision.63 on my car the turbo won’t make no more boost I run it all in.

you will learn the difference between the spool times of the smaller and bigger engines. Then change to the Garrett and learn the difference between the two turbine housings which will make you the go to guy when someone asks the same question you asked when you started this thread. You won't be guessing,you'll be sharing your real world experience.
now this the truth right here:)

Percision turbo !!!! the friggin leader in turbo race and street apps make 2 exhaust housing for the turbo Buick’s. .63 “ theirs is actually closer to .75 “ and .85 ...Both are bigger than advertised.

PTE NEVER PUT A TRUE . 63 on any of their turbos for us!!! Not even their tiny Buick 5557 turbo lmfao

I have installed about 100 45A's, and always used a Garrett stock housing.

A typical experience on a 3.8 engine it went from mid-10's t0 to 10.2 easy!
ive seen that too.my friend has a stroker and 66bb65 wheel with a .63 ex housing and has hit 32psi

really,race them and see ;) ive seen plenty of real .63 go 9sec and low 10.0s.
really,race them and see ;) ive seen plenty of real .63 go 9sec and low 10.0s.

The 9 second pass with true .63 was a T70 not 6665

A 6266 .85 can go 9’s if you whip it and spool wayyyyyyy faster...

if you’re running low tens at 124-126 mph 1/4 mile over here you will get scraped on the street. Mph is low! Ever think about that?

Last edited:
.lmfao newer gen 2 5862 .85 would make more power than that monster 6665 with tiny .63 Garrett
this is a false statement for sure,and i challenge you to run both combos,i know where my money would be ;) i want to see a 58mm turbo on a buick run 10.0 like a 66 car has with a tiny little .63:cool:

All of this talk has got me thinking about my own situation. I have a 67/76 with a Precision housing,similar to a 45a. I've already experienced quicker spool times since I bolted a bigger engine to this turbo. Now I see 24 psi of boost with the waste gate wired shut. I'm suddenly curious to see if the actual/Garrett .63 housing will spin the compressor faster.What do you think Mr.Spool?

Yes report back please.

Moves 72 #/min ....
Goes about 80+hp more then that!

I have a 67/76 with a Precision housing,similar to a 45a. I've already experienced quicker spool times since I bolted a bigger engine to this turbo. Now I see 24 psi of boost with the waste gate wired shut. I'm suddenly curious to see if the actual/Garrett .63 housing will spin the compressor faster.What do you think Mr.Spool?
if i was driving it i would know as there are signs to certain issues,if you can want to pm me we can chat about how the car is working.a good start is need to see where the air intake charge temps are at.also what kind of fuel does it use?you can also look at bp reading as well.one tell tale sign of overspeeding is sheared comp wheels and bearing losses with damages to the shaft.if your hitting a backpressure issue it wont make the boost and will pop as it tries too.from what i have seen if your on a .63 ex housing with the right motor on these 70/80 lb/min turbos using a boat load of fuel your probably out of comp wheel not turbine if your 65/66/68.