te-60 vs te-44

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
My plans will be a 2800 - 3000 stall, FMIC and terry houston style DP.
I have talked with John Craig and he stated that since I would go with a FMIC he said the 60 would be great over the 44.
I also have delphi 37 injecs.
He knew my injector size when he made the above statement.

My question is will the 60 do well on the street or will the 44 be better.
I don't care too much about a coulpe a mili sec on spool cause turbo cars are not bootom end machines anyhow.

Just want as much feedback as possible thanx.

i have a ta 60 which isnt that diffrent from a te. i would also like to hear some comparisons.:D

yeah I have a TE60 sitting here too waiting to go on, I'd like to hear some suggestions too :)

I have the TE-44 on my T and the TE-60 on the GN. My experience is that the exhaust housing selection has a bigger impact than the turbo size. I originally installed the TE-44 with the .63 Precision housing on the T. This car has a stock motor with a 2800 stall 12" converter. There was a big turbo lag and it was difficult to spin the tires. I switched to a .63 Garrett, spool up improved, tires now spin and 1/4 time dropped .2 from 12.98 to 12.76. The TE-60 on the GN works well with the .63 Precision housing. The car is set up like the T but has a 3200 stall 9/11 converter. It doesn't have the lag like the T did with the larger exhaust housing. If I recall correctly from J. Craig, the TE-44 and the TE-60 have the same tubine wheel but the compressor wheel is one size bigger with the TE-60. I don't think the extra compression capability comes into play until head and intake work is done.

Originally posted by Fuzzy
I don't think the extra compression capability comes into play until head and intake work is done.

well I'll probably spring for the precision housing, plus I'll be getting the heads ported too :)

John built me a te-44 with a .63 Garrett housing, and i currently am looking for more top end. John suggested switching to .82 housing. I like my 44 and i don't think your going to get much more out of a 60 with non ported heads. I would do the te-44. I would get the heads and engine internals done first then go for the big daddy turbo!!!

you will need a convertor, preferably a 9.5 3000 stall with most of the 49 and up turbo's with the PT exhaust housing. Once you get some stall you'll be happy. Using the Garrett stock type housing helps greatly on spool up, but holds back the top end. I've found using the Turbonetics exhaust housing is a nice in between piece, it allows for better spoolup without taking away from the top end.

Also, lose the 37lb injectors, definitely not enough. 50lbers will no doubt work best. thanks Bruce, forgot about that part.
hope that helps,

I have a 60, with 55s.
Smaller converter would quicken things noticeably but I like what I have.
BTW, have driven alot of other combos.

With the small injectors your limited to just running them static, and hoping for the best.

And the bottom line is selecting parts and then being able to tune them.

might just be stating the obvious.

I have a TE60 with a precision .63 exhaust housing. I'm running a AC 3000 N/L converter. The street manners and spool-up are about the same as the stock turbo with stock converter. In other words, turbo lag is just enough to maintain mild street manners, but once it spools, it feels like you were rear ended by a freight train:eek: :D

I'm really happy with my current combo! 11.73 @ 114 mph ( bone stock long block) Heads and cam are next:D

Have fun!

I have a BB TE60 with an Art Carr 9", great street maners. Spools just as fast as stock.

I got 23.25mpg last time I drove it and I don't even have a lock up converter. :)

Hey Tow Man, I'm in N. Jersey too....GN is under construction this week, where did you get your turbo, injectors, and TC from? I was hoping there was something local as I hate mail order....

I have a te-60 spools nice. I have no problems with it but i'm thinking of going with a cpt-65. I also port and polished the heads and it made a noticable difference.

Originally posted by PhilthMonger
Hey Tow Man, I'm in N. Jersey too....GN is under construction this week, where did you get your turbo, injectors, and TC from? I was hoping there was something local as I hate mail order....

No local sources that I know of. I picked up my turbo at ATR since I was in South Carolina. My injectors and fuel pump came from Racetronix. ( good people!)

Eric at Dynotech in Manville, NJ. did my trans and supplied the converter. I think he would be the nearest dealer for Art Carr. Eric is very good at what he does and I highy recommend him for trans work in NJ.
Sh!t, he even washed my car and armor-all'd the tires! The car was cleaner when I picked it up then it was when I dropped it off!:D It's the little things that turn a good experience into a great one. THANKS ERIC;)

Level 10 also carries A/C converters ( or at least the boxes they come in:rolleyes: ) Personally, I wouldn't give them the sweat off my nuts!

Good luck with your car. Maybe I'll catch you at Island Dragway one of these weekends if it ever stops raining:mad: