TCS 13x9 Torque Converter

lbear

Anyone use or have the old (2000's) Torque Converter Specialities (out of Lake Havasu) 13x9 lock-up torque converter? Were these well built/designed torque converters?

9/11 , Their old school but work very well and can lock it at wot...Usually stalls 24/2600 at 1 psi which is considered loose this lookup converter. Can get them restalled to close to 3000 @ 1 psi which is just before negative fin angle. They work well with 61/62mm ball bearing turbos with 62 turbine or small T31/58 turbine.

PTC 17 n/l blade works so well in these cars ,,, might be overkill for 12 sec car. Loose down low but the couples up top without over revving the motor.

GL

How strong were the 9/11 converters?

Is it a good idea to rebuild a torque converter, even if its running well?

9/11 are very strong. They are a nice piece. Lock the piss out of mine as soon as hit third gear.

I’d leave it alone till you rebuild the transmission. Then send it to Dusty to get restalled and give him your info.

9/11s work awesome. had to get that in before the LU haters come in. :cool: Still run them in a lot of Buicks locally. We just sold Melissa's old one she got in 2006/7. NEVER missed a beat. high 9s low 10s are a walk in the park. LU worked great. Russ had it rebuilt just before he sold it. LU is also great on the street/highway. ok.. late the hate begin :p

Is the billet front a good option?

Do the stock non-billet ones really "balloon" with around 540 Ft.Lbs of torque?

This converter has the stock 11" front cover. Does it look like it ballooned and touched the flywheel/crank bolts? I can see 6 marks on the face which would coincide with the flywheel/crank bolts.

TC Front.jpg

I know, old thread. I actually came on here to ask a stall speed question about my TCS 9X11 LU converter. I have one , new in the box...... a very old box. Mine was built as a 3500 stall LU, billet front. I plan on using it with a Limit GT 61 P-trim turbo. Plain bearing turbo, no BB. 60# injectors, TT chip. This car will see some track use but mostly street cruising. I don't put a lot of miles on my car so I'm not too concerned about how it drives on road trips. With the LU it should be OK, I would think. My question is really about stall speed. Should I try the 3500 as it it is or am I waaaay off base and get it re-stalled before putting it in? I've talked to a couple Turbo Buick guys and they tell me I will have way too much stall. Opinions please.....

I should add that I'm looking for low-mid 11's in the 1/4.

Sorry about the highjack.... TTT

I know, old thread. I actually came on here to ask a stall speed question about my TCS 9X11 LU converter. I have one , new in the box...... a very old box. Mine was built as a 3500 stall LU, billet front. I plan on using it with a Limit GT 61 P-trim turbo. Plain bearing turbo, no BB. 60# injectors, TT chip. This car will see some track use but mostly street cruising. I don't put a lot of miles on my car so I'm not too concerned about how it drives on road trips. With the LU it should be OK, I would think. My question is really about stall speed. Should I try the 3500 as it it is or am I waaaay off base and get it re-stalled before putting it in? I've talked to a couple Turbo Buick guys and they tell me I will have way too much stall. Opinions please.....

I should add that I'm looking for low-mid 11's in the 1/4.

Sorry about the highjack.... TTT

Nope ur good. Going to need to lock it as soon as you hit third.
Can program converter lockup with Eric’s chip cool.

Nope ur good. Going to need to lock it as soon as you hit third.
Can program converter lockup with Eric’s chip cool.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll throw it in and see how she does. I've not had the car out yet this year but I think it's time. The cruise ins have been shut down until the last couple weeks here in MI. I might take it out once or twice before I pull it apart. :) I just hate to have the car down in the summer because it takes me a lot of time to get anything done around the house.

Hey Gregg, good to hear you're still in the game. Didn't know you went to MI.

Hi Mike. How you been? Yeah, I moved to Kalamazoo MI about 3 years ago. Work related. I was on the road for three years flying in/out of Boston and that was getting really old. Out at 6 AM Monday and back in Boston at 5 PM on Friday. I started riding the bus out of Salem. I live about 3 miles from the Gilmore car museum in Hickory Corners. Big cruise nights every Wednesday. Few hundred cars. Real handy. We miss NH but my oldest is going to grad school at UNH so we still get back to visit once a year or so.

Looks like your making good progress on your TB. Biggest thing I've done to mine was wash it and put the new Spoolfool fillers on it. I haven't had mine to the track since NED. Fortunately, I don't live too far from Rt 131 drag strip in Martin. Close enough that I could hear the jet cars when they come through the area. I haven't been there yet but I think they run the 1/8th. My car sat in the garage for a couple years in NH w/o getting out much due to all the travel. I threw a new battery in it drove it out here one weekend. I wish I would've charged the AC first. :)

Steve still have his car?

Steve's out of the car stuff now. Wifey put a kabosh on that. We still have several guys here that into it and going strong. Do you remember Al? He has a GN, T and TTA. There's a few other new guys in the area too. Glad to hear you are still working on the GN and have an chance to go to the a track at some point. If you ever get to move back look us up.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I think I've met Al. I'll post some times once I get to the track. No telling when that will be. I'll be looking to move back to NH after I retire. I don't see much chance of that before then. Starting to look at property up north. Looking to the future. Take care.

7 years for me to hang up my lab coat. I'll be staying right here with no income tax.