Take your TR to the right guy.

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
I can't believe this still comes up almost every day!!! It makes me sick when I hear all these stories from forum members, and Buick guys at car meets, and former Buick owners. The horror stories of taking their cars to these Mr. Nobody engine builders and mechanics. Please stop making these mistakes! Stop taking your Buicks to these people! I'm not saying that all these guys are evil. Many are not. They are just ignorant and don't know it.

I understand that we all don't have a TR expert in our back yard. But if you go the distance (even if it's all the way to Mars) it will save your ass in the long run. Save your money, be patient and get the work done when you can afford it by the right guy.

I also understand that even the well known Buick "experts" have let down a few customers from time to time. Some more than others. I also understand many "experts" have different theories and practices regarding TR restoration, fabrication, and performance. But their customer's followings say something about their knowledge and reputation. The chances of being disappointing will increase exponentially when you go to some chooch who swears he knows what he is doing just because he worked on some lonely TR back in '93.

If he don't drive one, and doesn't have 10 more parked out in front of his shop, think twice. The internet is now available to every whacked-out nut on earth. If I try hard enough, I may be able to purchase enriched uranium online! So, I'm certain, everyone can find someone who can properly work on their TR for sure. And even if this isn't the case, find someone who knows he knows nothing and then will at least asks the people who do.

I love these cars, and I love all of you guys who love these cars. So, for all you people who have made this mistake.....I feel your pain. And for all you people who are still making these mistakes.......STOP. Tell that guy to f*ck-off, and go get your car or engine out of his shop and bring it home. You don't have to make enemies to do it either. Just tell him your doing it to save the friendship for both of you.

I'm sorry. I just felt the need to get that off my chest.

the problem is there are so few good TR guys around I guess u can't blame ppl. well, not here in the Northeast but in other parts of the country TR gurus jus don't exist

I also understand many "experts" have different theories and practices regarding TR restoration, fabrication, and performance.
very different it seems and thats not terrible but there are so many now I see that claim to be experts.there is just so more to be gained if guys have a creative thought of their own and actually test things for themselves.these cars as you know are not to be handed off,but the owners should learn about the cars more or buy something new that everyone can wrench on.i see a lot of the same posts repeated its obvious the search function wasn't considered.

I also understand that even the well known Buick "experts" have let down a few customers from time to time.
yup! more the reason to learn about the car and play with it yourself,lots of people want the answers for free and don't want to put the time in.

yup! more the reason to learn about the car and play with it yourself,lots of people want the answers for free and don't want to put the time in.
Yes! This is an alternative for sure! To learn yourself. But ask the right questions to the right people. Or pay for the advice. On certain things, it may save you an expensive disappointment.

You can't take advice from just the "other car guy." You can experiment to a certain degree. And if you have deep pockets and a whole lot of patients, then you can experiment a lot! Big guys in this income bracket don't have horror stories. Instead, they have happy little accidents.

For the rest of the group, I just hope you choose well. Because I've seen a lot of hearts and wallets broken, and I feel your pain.

I did that. I took car as far as I could go and had to let someone finish it. I was pissed at myself for not completing it but once it came to start up there were so many small things or details I might have forgotten in the end I was happy. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just pay someone. Nothing wrong w it just the way it is. And the other half is if a mechanic is charging half of what all the other guys are there is probably a good reason for it.

I live up near Toronto, Canada. After about two years of banging my head against the wall and spending way to much money, my car was a turd:rage:. I contacted Bison and trailer my car 7 hrs one way for a visit. He went over things and told me his opinion on it. Shitty heads, too big of a turbo. He turned up the boost and tuned it. It ran good. Drove home 7 hrs and returned 3 weeks later for him to install champion heads and roller cam. Best money i have spent since the last time I was in Sin City:angelic:. I'm getting some more stuff done shortly and I'll be taking it to Bison. Even with the shitty exchange rate. Bison is one of the guys to take you turbo buick to:). I would have saved around 7 grand if i went here two years ago.

The examples listed above in the replies. Is the reason i became the "right guy" to do my own work on my turbo regal. I wouldn't trust leaving my car with anyone.

I much rather spend my money on buying stuff for the car if needed than paying someone to do something i can learn to do for myself.

The examples listed above in the replies. Is the reason i became the "right guy" to do my own work on my turbo regal. I wouldn't trust leaving my car with anyone.

I much rather spend my money on buying stuff for the car if needed than paying someone to do something i can learn to do for myself.
I obviously did the same thing to a certain extent. But for internal engine and transmission work, I just don't have the know how or equipment or the budget to make mistakes.