Tackling heads/cam

ttribejr

I have been torn between having my motor built or just installing my new "top end" parts myself. My other option is to have the whole motor built and go ahead and get a forged rotating assembly and caps or girdle. Westside machine quoted me a fair price for the work, but told me They would have my motor 2-3 months before they could finish it. I'd have to "credit card" this expense, which I'd rather not do right before Christmas.

I have never done work on a buick or "older" engine in general. Most of my experience has been in LS and turbo imports.

My car has great oil pressure, great compression, no noise. So I hate to rebuild a good motor. But I hear of people having head gasket sealing problems when not decking the block, etc. I also am not sure if I will break the bottom end once I put power to it.

I have a 3000 sq foot garage out in Montgomery, I have a lift and tools, hoist, engine stand etc. I don't have and have never used dial indicators (cam thrust?). I have done motor swaps, cam swaps on LS motors, etc, just never opened up one this far. Is it something a manual can get me through, no problem? Are you guys doing it with motor in car?

The parts I have are:

GN1 aluminum heads, assembled with 1201x springs
scorpion rockers
214/214 cam
Rollmaster chain set
Cometic .040 head gaskets
Timing gasket set
Morel short travel lifters

Once assembled, I will have to measure for pushrods and get those ordered.

Thoughts? Tips/Advice? Thanks.

first off, westside does some great work. they did my 109 build, and if i were doing another one i would use them again no doubt. they are usually backed up, which is better than them being absolutely dead, because that would mean no one is using them. i had i wait a couple of months before i got my motor back.

i would wait and do the forged rotating assembly. if i could go back in time that's what i would do. i kick myself in the ass for not waiting and saving up money to do so, and now i'm left living on the edge of the limits of the stock crank/rods. id hate for you to be in the same position i'm in, limited by the stock/rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would install the parts you have. You can do it yourself It's super easy. The hardest part is shimming the cam thrust which isn't hard.

Yes you'll be limited by the stock crank but a stock bottom end has been 9s. Run the car at 11.00 power or high 10 sec power which is alot for the street and then save for a new motor. At that power level it will last a good while if the tune is on. Trust me You'll be happy you did. Don't rebuild a motor that doesn't need it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I would install the parts you have. You can do it yourself It's super easy. The hardest part is shimming the cam thrust which isn't hard.

Yes you'll be limited by the stock crank but a stock bottom end has been 9s. Run the car at 11.00 power or high 10 sec power which is alot for the street and then save for a new motor. At that power level it will last a good while if the tune is on. Trust me You'll be happy you did. Don't rebuild a motor that doesn't need it.

Yea, this is what I am tempted to do because I have the parts and could start on it now if I want. However, like Granny, I push my cars and it would be no time before I am turning it up however high I can go. I think my fuel system is good for around 700-750 e85 HP. My turbo isn't though.

But I have tons of parts I still want for the car. Still stock suspension, etc.

first off, westside does some great work. they did my 109 build, and if i were doing another one i would use them again no doubt. they are usually backed up, which is better than them being absolutely dead, because that would mean no one is using them. i had i wait a couple of months before i got my motor back.

i would wait and do the forged rotating assembly. if i could go back in time that's what i would do. i kick myself in the ass for not waiting and saving up money to do so, and now i'm left living on the edge of the limits of the stock crank/rods. id hate for you to be in the same position i'm in, limited by the stock/rods

Granny where are you at? I'd love to check out your car. I just climbed out of my friend's Supra a couple hours ago with that 6870 turbo. Holly F'ing mother of god. 60-140mph in under 4 seconds. I am really curious how it is in your buick because we have similar cars.

Yea, this is what I am tempted to do because I have the parts and could start on it now if I want. However, like Granny, I push my cars and it would be no time before I am turning it up however high I can go. I think my fuel system is good for around 700-750 e85 HP. My turbo isn't though.

But I have tons of parts I still want for the car. Still stock suspension, etc.

Granny where are you at? I'd love to check out your car. I just climbed out of my friend's Supra a couple hours ago with that 6870 turbo. Holly F'ing mother of god. 60-140mph in under 4 seconds. I am really curious how it is in your buick because we have similar cars.

The car is at my parents house in Sugar Land, SW Houston area. I'm in corpus christi for school. My speedo doesn't work so i can't say for sure how fast it accelerates, but it definitely is pretty fast lol. I'm gonna be in town the weekend before and week of thanksgiving, so anytime between then is fine with me. I'll be going to HMP next friday night also if you wanna come out

That's where self control needs to come in. Yes you can run it at 600rwhp but turn it down alittle, make it last, and save your money and build another motor. Enjoy the car while you save and don't blow it up or turn it up till your new motor is ready.

Yea, I think this is what I am going to do. I talked to Cal, he said I should be able to run it up to 30 psi and be fine for a while. I'd rather look for a spare block and build that one anyways. I just haven't found one in Houston area yet.

HMP is Baytown right? I haven't been there in a while. I am off work this weekend, but have something going on Saturday. PM me your cell and I will text you. I live way north (Montgomery).

That's where self control needs to come in. Yes you can run it at 600rwhp but turn it down alittle, make it last, and save your money and build another motor. Enjoy the car while you save and don't blow it up or turn it up till your new motor is ready.

Are you Houston area too?

Our little engines are not high rpm engines: ~4900 RPM stock redline.

If I was into 150-160mph cars, a 80's Regal would not be on that list. Lol

I would go with what you have as it is going to be fine for street applications . That set up could last you for a number of years without having to put more money in your ride.

I think that you are on the right track looking for another 109 block. Build it as your next level and save as much of your factory stuff as possible. 2-3 months down time to have a motor rebuilt is nice but you can tack on a few extra for other crap.I wish my local machine shop had that short of turn around time but their quality is worth it 10 fold.

You need to leakdown the engine and see where your ring seal is... if any there's excess leakdown.. let's not waste your time and at least put some main caps, rings and bearing in it.

I ended up buying a couple of 109 NA standard bore blocks. Should have them in a week. Going to keep one spare and build the other one. Plan to drop it off at the machine shop asap.

Stroker or not is the next question. They said it will take way longer because of all the put it together, take it apart steps. The car is 90% street, 10% strip.