Tach Mounting

OneQuikV6

Automotively bi-curious
Hey guys~

I know this has been asked a million times, but upon searching, most of the links to pics are bad, so I need some new ideas. I bought a new 5" white faced Auto Meter tach and needs some ideas. I need to know how most are attaching the tach to the (r) of the speedmeter pod. I'd like to have it in that area and I see that often, but don't have any ideas how it's mounted. Anyone have any current pics/links/plans on how it's done?

Thanks!! :D

I took the gauge pod surround off made a u shaped bracket and screwed it to the side of the gauge pod. The tips of the U point towards the driver so that the bottom of the U is up against the dash. I then put the surround back on the gauge pod and then attached the tach to the other end of the U. This gives you no holes in the dash and a fairly solid mounting setup.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
I took the gauge pod surround off made a u shaped bracket and screwed it to the side of the gauge pod. The tips of the U point towards the driver so that the bottom of the U is up against the dash. I then put the surround back on the gauge pod and then attached the tach to the other end of the U. This gives you no holes in the dash and a fairly solid mounting setup.

Have any pics?? ;)

We have developed and made a bracket that bolts in the cigarette lighter opening [after it is removed]. Easy to view, does not block anything including A/C vent.

Relocate the cig lighter with a parts house power point.

Sent you a pic.

Can I also get these pictures?

I'm trying to figure out where I want to put the tach....
Thanks,
Jeff

Black ~

I really like your setup. I guess I need to ask...how in the H*LL do you get the surround off the cluster? I'm sure it's easy, but I haven't been able to figure it out :eek:

The black plastic "cover divider" pops off the front of the dash and exposes the screws that hold the surround on. There are about 10 little screws around the inside edge of the surround. Take those out and the surround comes off. I had to take the dremmel to the hard plastic on the inside of the surround at the very back where it butts up against the dash where the U bracket went between the dash and the surround. I took off about 1/16" so that the U could go through and the surround sets flush with the dash. I didn't touch the vinyl so you can't see it.

I need a digi camera but times are tough. Mine must be sorta similar to B6P's. I took a 6" wide piece of light gauge galvanized steel and cut the length so that I could bend it around the cluster pad front to back, just to the left of center. It has about 1.5" of length that wraps around the pad to hold it on front and back. Then I cut two .75" slits in it, centered, about 1" apart and about 1" from the front edge of the cluster pad. The slits are perpendicular to the dash. I took two very large hose clamps and hooked them together and threaded one end through both slits. Then I placed the tach (just the tach body, no factory bracket) inside the hose clamps and tightened it down. Now the tach sits right next to my pillar pod and is very secure side to side as well as fore and aft. I put a piece of cardboard under where the clamps go through the slits so it wouldn't cut into the cluster pad. Hope this makes sense. It cost about $5 in materials.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Thanks, its starting to look like a freeking fighter cockpit in there now!!

Heh Heh ;) Check out TurboDave's car sometime. All KINDS of stuff in there. Gotta love it!

Yeah, I throw the laptop in the passenger seat with DS running and I have all the rice boys slobbering all over the car! "Hey check it out, it's like the Fast and the Furious thing-a-ma-bob." I've still never watched that movie.