TA49 vs Precision 6262

Masking?really I have run both race gas and meth and have egts off everything.i have also put a 49 into the 10s.you can talk comp maps and efficiency as much as you want but the reality is once the turbo goes on the car and ran you will not see a gain if you even see a gain before you blow the heads off the car, over the 49 until the boost is way up there (30psi+).the heads suck and the cam peaks early and is done below 5000.you need a converter tight enough to keep the Rpms in the sweet spot on a very narrow rpm range and it gets super tricky the bigger turbos to spool.

I agree. He needs to improve the VE of the engine somehow. I sent him a text about helping him with some ported heads from Duttweiler since we get a lot of stuff done by him. He typically has a 1-2 week turnaround time for the heads.

Besides that, a good PTC 10" would be a great help as well. I have a local car I'm doing and we just dropped a new WORK billet TA6056 on it and plan to upgrade to a PTC 10" to help the car really maximize what that turbo can do. I think Keith would see a lot of improvement with a good converter as well.

Let me see if I can take a shot summing this up...

The TA49 with your mods and all else equal is going to run better than switching to a 6262 except if you are able to "safely" run about 30# of boost then you may see a gain in the quarter but probably not in the 8th.

If you match a torque converter to the 6262 then the 6262 will begin to shine.

If you further do heads and cam, the 6262 will fly.

I'm sure someone will correct me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Good way to put things Randy. Pretty accurate summation, IMO.

So I guess my question is would I see any gains if I went to a 6262 ? You can see all my upgrades in my Sig , Thanks Keith

Thank you Speed Racer , I can understand that

Keith, you can ask Randy aka Speedracer how our WORK TE6262 works since he just picked one up from us.

With the mods you have now spending money on a 62mm turbo would not be worth it. However with just a few additions to your current repertoire of parts would help optimize that 6262.

I'd personally like to see you get some ported heads first and max out the TA49. If not though, a good PTC 10", or even 9.5" if you can swing it, would completely change the dynamics of the car.

I hope this was somewhat helpful!

I'm just saying you're spraying a whole bunch of methanol to cover up the fact the wheel is too small.
I'm also putting fuel and octane in the motor on top of the 42lb injectors I was running at the time.thats how I chose to do it,at the time i was driving the car to the track and back home on drag radials with 1.4 60fts and on the street running the car hard. my friend ran 10.7 on a 44 turbo years back on c16 both our highest mph was 125 in the 1/4 but his was lighter than Mine and on slicks.i prefer to run smaller turbos harder on mild combos.they get up into initial boost and full boost much faster with less converter and hit the tire sooner moving the car especially with junk heads and no compression.

Of course it's about the tune and fuel system as well as power goals and everything else in the world.

There is way better options than a 58mm compressor wheel at those high boost levels...

I wouldn't waste my time it....your cars though.lol.

Just where you want to be at 3.0+ pressure ratio.. all the math guys can calculate by using the proper formula...

61,62 is where you want to be. Just need to have the supporting mods.

Attachments

• 15179069674025107257500160308965.jpg
    15179069674025107257500160308965.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 62
Op asked 49/6262..

Just saying 6262 is a better option. 5858 would good too. Geometry of the wheel and proper sizing...Just saying there is better options than that old cast 58mm now a days..

Any 6162,6262...that Work 6362 is loaded with options!

Of course it's about the tune and fuel system as well as power goals and everything else in the world.

There is way better options than a 58mm compressor wheel at those high boost levels...

I wouldn't waste my time it....your cars though.lol.

Completely agree man.

If he is going to push it that high, something above a 58mm wheel would be best.

If he is going to stay lower in the boost, I think we would both agree that the smaller wheel would be better suited, but only if he is going to be at lower boost levels.

Op asked 49/6262..

Just saying 6262 is a better option. 5858 would good too. Geometry of the wheel and proper sizing...Just saying there is better options than that old cast 58mm now a days..
Just where you want to be at 3.0+ pressure ratio.. all the math guys can calculate by using the proper formula...

61,62 is where you want to be. Just need to have the supporting mods.
ahh if it were that easy.

Op asked 49/6262..

Just saying 6262 is a better option. Like we have been saying it depends on the stock motor a 49 can go 11.22@118mph with a 1.49 60ft at 25psi and I won't go into the rest of the combo but it runs on pump gas and meth and a stock ecm.62 is going to need a lot more boost 7/10psi more to do that on a stock motor and a lot more supporting mods.i ran a 62/65 and couldn't catch or equal my 49 passes below 30psi till I did cam and heads and higher compression.

The 60-1 is very underrated and would hit like a sledgehammer in this application ..

Not sure if I missed it, and someone will disagree but . . . .:D
I would spend the money on a logging tool, WB, and converter loooooong before a bigger turbo, heads, cam.

The 60-1 is very underrated and would hit like a sledgehammer in this application ..

60-1 is a volume wheel it doesn't work good at high pressure apps. It will flow more than a motor stock motor can handle... Rated 60#/min. That's another good wheel but I wouldn't choose it for a high high boost application. It's a torque monster.

Problem with 60-1 wheel is when you mate it with a bigger turbine like 65 turbine (5965), you have boost fluctuation at different throttle angles. I'm sure you're aware of the issues not matching a compressor to a turbine.. that's what happens with these hybrid turbos these guys aren't going to tell you that ...I will

60-1 is a volume wheel it doesn't work good at high pressure apps. It will flow more than a motor stock motor can handle... Rated 60#/min. That's another good wheel but I wouldn't choose it for a high high boost application. It's a torque monster.

Problem with 60-1 wheel is when you mate it with a bigger turbine like 65 turbine (5965), you have boost fluctuation at different throttle angles. I'm sure you're aware of the issues not matching a compressor to a turbine.. that's what happens with these hybrid turbos these guys aren't going to tell you that ...I will
I actually went to this turbo(5965)bison built, after testing 4 others on one of my stock long block cars including the 6262, the 60-1 hit the hardest and spooled the quickest up to 26psi, not saying the others didn't work but the 60-1 mfs worked the best imo...but im sure with head work the 6262 has the edge ive done that test also with a built 212/212 M&A alumin head motor..

I'm also putting fuel and octane in the motor on top of the 42lb injectors I was running at the time.thats how I chose to do it,at the time i was driving the car to the track and back home on drag radials with 1.4 60fts and on the street running the car hard. my friend ran 10.7 on a 44 turbo years back on c16 both our highest mph was 125 in the 1/4 but his was lighter than Mine and on slicks.i prefer to run smaller turbos harder on mild combos.they get up into initial boost and full boost much faster with less converter and hit the tire sooner moving the car especially with junk heads and no compression.
This makes sense to me as i have a 44 and pondered what the op has. I dont have goals nor has it been to the track, I'm just trying to match the hardware on the motor to dial it in. Bison recommended the 62 as the next step, but i guess its not necessary if you can run a 44 harder provided iat is in check. Can a 62 provide more without meth? Is it easier to get dialed in, near the max end of a turbo or beginning if someone is sorting out their combo?

Ported stockers
3200 conv
210/215

I actually went to this turbo(5965)bison built, after testing 4 others on one of my stock long block cars including the 6262, the 60-1 hit the hardest and spooled the quickest up to 26psi, not saying the others didn't work but the 60-1 mfs worked the best imo..

I will tell you I had the same turbo from Bison and I said the SAME THING! Thought it hit harder than 6262,6266,T64,T66. Delta was on the high side were I was running it.

Didn't care for the surge at different throttle angles... That's what happens with hybrid turbos... It works great at WOT .

This makes sense to me as i have a 44 and pondered what the op has. I dont have goals nor has it been to the track, I'm just trying to match the hardware on the motor to dial it in. Bison recommended the 62 as the next step, but i guess its not necessary if you can run a 44 harder provided iat is in check. Can a 62 provide more without meth? Is it easier to get dialed in, near the max end of a turbo or beginning if someone is sorting out their combo?

Ported stockers
3200 conv
210/215
A friend of mine went 11.2@118 on 25psi with a bone stock motor 49 turbo pump gas meth stock ecm no logging equipment.62 is not going to do that on a stock motor.with a 44 I would run it hard and if you hit the wall and don't like where your at with it go bigger because you have heads and cam.

I actually went to this turbo(5965)bison built, after testing 4 others on one of my stock long block cars including the 6262, the 60-1 hit the hardest and spooled the quickest up to 26psi, not saying the others didn't work but the 60-1 mfs worked the best imo
You may have a winner there with a billet 60 on a stock motor what size ex wheel are we talking about?