TA49 or TE-44

If I got to go back and buy a turbo, I'd get the 44. No worries about the bell leaking (mine had for years before a real boost leak test) and the extra power from the comp housing is just a bonus along with the one piece inlet.

But today, I wouldn't get either, the Billet 58/57 (same size wheels as TA49 and TE44) blows the doors off these old timers.

Cast 58/57 is whats inside the 49 and 44, PTE confirmed this years ago on the phone with me when I was buying a turbo for my Talon. I wanted to make sure I got a bigger one than my GN. :cool:

Maybe Patrick will jump in on both accounts, as the Billet 58/57 is ripping it up in the Import world.

Patrick explained this in another thread about the 44 a few links away from this one. Read it, or check his previous post. Is attach the link or copy and paste but I'm using my phone and don't know how to yet...lol. Oh and the import world is different than the Buick world. Different turbine housing, engine specs and tuning. Let's not use them for reference. Easy to be misled on picking the right turbo unit. No offense Gnvyus

AH, good to know. But we're talking about these exhaust trim's as the difference

T31= 75.78 Trim
HP57= 76.0 Trim

Though they're not technically the same, 5hp and maybe a slight increase in spool gets the Seinfeld, Really?? So we can't compare a TE44 to a cast 58/57? It's definitely easier to use those wheel #'s in other turbo comparisons.

My Import comment had to do with how they're making more power with the Billet 58 vs the Cast 58. We're seeing the same thing, more power with the Billet, everyone will see more power with the Billet, even a lawnmower. :eek:;)

44s easily run 11's on a stock converter. I have a dozen 11.8-11.9 passes with a bone stock converter but good tranny. Can't break a 1.8x sixty foot though and car won't make more than 5lbs on the line. Brakes hold though. Any suggestions? Others seem to be able to make more.

All you guys using a .63 Garrett turbine housing or .63 Precision turbine housing on these TA49 and TE44 turbos. Also what stall converter is being used? Thanks.

All you guys using a .63 Garrett turbine housing or .63 Precision turbine housing on these TA49 and TE44 turbos. Also what stall converter is being used? Thanks.

Garret .63 with stock stall here. Wastegate hole is opened up to 1" on mine.

Spools really well with my mods listed below + a ceramic ball manual boost controller.

dusty`s 2800 lock up ,63 housing,last cool day at the track got a 1.6 60 foot off foot brake ,zero boost,ran 11.4 at 118.