Ta performance kenne bell air dam

deezdad

Does ta performance still sell it?

How is the fit and finish?

What do you use the passenger side ram air inlet for, route a duct up to turbo or??

Anyone have a pic of one installed on their car?

Thanks guys

Ram air systems don't work well on turbo cars because its the turbo that does the actual ramming , so everything else leading up to the turbo is more or less a restriction , the only benefit is it may pull up some cold air but its being compressed and heated up by the turbo anyway.
as for the kenne bell it had a tube connected to the air dam that led to an enclosed filter routed behind the headlight then into a too small tube to the turbo inlet. don't remember a passenger side air duct but if their were it would make the spool-up even worse.

I'm pulling a KB ram air off a customer's car now. All they are good for is picking up a lot of road debris and ramming it into the air filter.

This is what I did with my Kenne Bell air dam....I put a piece of wood behind the air scoop, then traced an outline with a pencil...then went to the band saw, cut out the outline 3/16 inch smaller all around, then used a Home Depot gutter guard screen, wrapped it around the piece of cut out wood, then mounted it behind the scoop with two machine screws that I tapped into the air damn....painted the screen red, because red is my color, and this keeps all the debris out of the tube....the air tube is just routed up to give the air cleaner cooler air...the front intercooler scoop works great....but no screen had to be made as there's already one on the intercooler bottom. Hope this helps. The air damn just looks mean as hell!
P2070135.JPG
P2070134.JPG

Bruce '87 Grand National

I use a KB canister w/o the scoop. I run the intake hose behind the headlights and down low behind the bumper. More of a cool air intake than anything else.Helps keep under hood noise down.

Yes, TA still sells it. You can't tell the difference between it and the original Kenne Bell I damaged. It even has Kenne Bell embossed inside the p/s intake, just like the real Kenne Bell did. The fit was good, but it needed some filling in and smoothing prior to paint. If you want to keep it black and aren't too particular with cosmetics, you can just install it straight out the box. On the d/s, I run an air inlet tube to the air filter inside the engine compartment. On the p/s, I run it to the turbo and dp for cooling.

757b2413014a9c7324c77ec0fb543869.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the air filter after one year. Car came from the San Diego area. The filter was almost plugged with debris from the road. I removed the tube from the air dam and then replaced the K&N filter with a WIX paper filter as the MAF and inlet tube to the turbo also had dirt in it.
P1020333.JPG

Thanks guys for all your replys..

Does the air dam scoop connect to the stock intercooler scoop?

Here's a picture of the air filter after one year. Car came from the San Diego area. The filter was almost plugged with debris from the road. I removed the tube from the air dam and then replaced the K&N filter with a WIX paper filter as the MAF and inlet tube to the turbo also had dirt in it. View attachment 339739
That's pretty nasty, how long did it take to get like that?

Ram air systems don't work well on turbo cars because its the turbo that does the actual ramming , so everything else leading up to the turbo is more or less a restriction , the only benefit is it may pull up some cold air but its being compressed and heated up by the turbo anyway.
as for the kenne bell it had a tube connected to the air dam that led to an enclosed filter routed behind the headlight then into a too small tube to the turbo inlet. don't remember a passenger side air duct but if their were it would make the spool-up even worse.
I understand it's a restriction on faster cars but seems like a decent way of bringing in ambient air to a 12 sec non alky car

Thanks guys for all your replys..

Does the air dam scoop connect to the stock intercooler scoop?

Yes, a couple of 1/4" bolts attach it to the stock shroud.
Mine is an old Kenne-bell version bought in 1988. It has a fiberglass panel that attaches to the bottom of the car first, then the air dam/ scoop bolts to the car making a large funnel to the I/C shroud. KB said when used in conjunction with their I/C fan shroud (a fiberglass shroud that attached to the backside of the I/C) it kept the I/C cooler giving you 10hp. That's what they said anyway.
Mine is unpainted black gel coat.

IMG_2282.JPG

Disregard the unpainted passenger side parking light/ driving light bracket, its painted now (it was used to show what it would look like in a chrome bumper).

They made a version that was built into a fiberglass bumper as well, all one unit.

IMG_2284.JPG

Last edited: