Ta Performance front cover...

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Got my hands on one today, nice peice. Less work than the GM cover. Thanks TA!

x2

Been saying this all along too.
Had a chance to see the subtle differences that make these covers perform so well last winter when I installed mine :)

Take some pictures?? What is different?
The machining is better, less flash, the feed passage does not neck down like GM cover does. I have not blueprinted the pump yet that will be the true test. Maybe next weekend. Also external front seal.

Here's some pics....
P3030174.JPG
P3030177.JPG
P3030178.JPG

Steve,

Looks real nice.

Is this a piece TA is making? or is it an offshore piece? I'm tired of the horrible quality, offshore crap. I'll pay double the price for QUALITY products made here.

Made in USA by TA. Kirban has them, Nick does as well as direct from TA. I'd use this over an oem cover anyday. Think I may sell the one I was hanging onto ;). No need to enlarge oil passage s as it was cast this way 31/64 vs the stocker that necks down like a funnel.

Mike took alot of time to redesign the factory cover for maximum flows. He has the casting made to his specifications and does ALL the machining.

Are these readily availible? And how do I blueprint the oil pump? Asking because I need to do something with mine as my engine is at the machine shop.

Which TA timing cover should be used? Timing cover #1530 or #1530A with seal retention screws. I'm now considering using a TA cover after seeing the pics. Thanks

Which TA timing cover should be used? Timing cover #1530 or #1530A with seal retention screws. I'm now considering using a TA cover after seeing the pics. Thanks

Here's what you need:
TA 1530A Turbo V6 Timing cover with front seal retention.
As Steve mentioned earlier in this post, you can get the TA front cover from Kirbans', Arizona GN or TA Performance directly.

Might as well change the timing chain & gears while you have that front cover off...if you're gonna go this route, for convenience, sake you can get all the parts needed from one source......may be best to contact Nick Micale at Arizona GN for these parts.

The TA Billet Gears & Single row chain are one of the best offered for these cars. Nick has a wealth of experience with these parts and can help with any issues you may encounter during your installation.

TA V1394 Timing Chain Damper (tensioner & spring)
TA V1522B High Performance Billet Timing set ( stock style chain) Even Fire

Don't forget a new set of oil pump gears & the gasket kit / shims to set oil pump gear to cover clearances.
New water pump while you're at it too.

And that is a high volume oil pump that requires taller gears.

Is that a question or statement? :confused:

The TA cover uses standard Buick V-6 pump gears, no need for high volume gears.

We NEVER use longer gears even in our engine builds even up to 1000 HP, stock-type gears will do just fine. :)

It's a statement. You can clearly see the TA cover has deeper gear pocket. You put stock gears in there your in trouble.

Wrong...high volume gears dont use a deeper special front cover pocket. You use a spacer plate thats pinned to front cover to cover the longer gears the stick out of the stock "pocket" hence the plate that covers them to extend the pocket.

Wrong...high volume gears dont use a deeper special front cover pocket. You use a spacer plate thats pinned to front cover to cover the longer gears the stick out of the stock "pocket" hence the plate that covers them to extend the pocket.

Um yes and no,

The TA gear pocket is made deeper so you don't need the extension plate. The extension plate allows you to run tall gears in a stock cover.

I used one of these on my production 4.1 with stock gears. No oil pressure issues. Very nice piece.