Ta block

jay dcpt

Is there some where that I can get a ton of information on to what goes in to building a ta aluminum block engine? As far as machining and assemble processes

TA Performance machines and assembles them. I would give them a call. No better source then the manufacturer. Since there aren’t many out there, and even fewer that own them actually machined or assembled them....I would guess all you’ll get here is opinions and hearsay....of which very little will be accurate. No offense to anyone.

I understand but I'd imagine there has to be information out there. There's plenty of guys that assemble there own or other people's stage blocks. I would think the same would go for the ta. I have weber do my machining but would still like to know what's involved in the process, and I like to assemble my own engines.

I understand but I'd imagine there has to be information out there. There's plenty of guys that assemble there own or other people's stage blocks. I would think the same would go for the ta. I have weber do my machining but would still like to know what's involved in the process, and I like to assemble my own engines.

I just got back from visiting Duttweiler's shop, where he will be building my own TA engine block.

The TA block requires more machining than your typical engine block for a Buick. By Duttweiler's standards/pricing, there is an addititional $1,000 or so in machine work required to get a TA block ready to race.

A TA block requires being de-burred, the cylinder sleeves being machined, the deck being surfaced, etc.

Thing is, most engine blocks people buy, have already had all this work done to it, so there isn't additional costs involved in building a used stage 2 block.

If you are considering running a TA engine, you will want to keep this in mind when budgeting for your build. I am having Duttweiler build and dyno my motor, so I am figuring a build cost of around $5-6k, since I bought a separate ON center block from Duttweiler that already has the machine work done to it. If I was using a brand new block, I'd add another $1,500-$2,000 to that total.

I hope this helps some.

FYI- If you are looking for a TA block, I have a brand new ON Cetner block that I'm looking to sell for $3,700.

I'm just starting to research these ta blocks even though they have been out a long time. So probably a stupid question but can you get the ta block in either off or on center?

Yes. You can get off-center. I think this is what you want if you run ac and want everthing to bolt up like stock.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I thought off center was all that was available. This is why I'm asking. I would go with off center. And I know about the improved oiling cooling and strength of the block along with the head bolt holes not in the water jackets. I would just like die hard specs. I guess the next step is to call ta and ask. Appreciate all the input keep it coming.

My 1122 HP is a new TA Block and Heads, yes Kenny Duttweiler did his magic , although the guys at TA have really out did themselves with these blocks and heads. If you are thinking about making the power, this is a combination you may want to consider.

REA

So....did u get on or off center from Duttweiler, and why ?

So....did u get on or off center from Duttweiler, and why ?

Well, it was not by choice, you see I had a stage I that had a failure, that made me take the aluminum route.

My 1122 HP is a new TA Block and Heads, yes Kenny Duttweiler did his magic , although the guys at TA have really out did themselves with these blocks and heads. If you are thinking about making the power, this is a combination you may want to consider.

REA

Was your engine the TA block that I saw at his shop mid-way through its' machine work a few weeks ago?

I was really shocked to see just how many Buick blocks were at his shop being built, with as little as people bring him up (besides our Norcal GN Buick club).

I don’t know what information your actually looking for. There is no builder that is gonna tell you the clearances he uses or other pertinent info. I’ve yet to see any actual builders post anything on here. There are a lot of really good engine assemblers on here, but they do not do their own machine work.
The choices of On Center and Off Center are on the TA Website. Any aluminum block is way trickier then a cast iron block because thermal expansion is completely different between the two different materials. The torque specs would be different and so on. I would still contact them and ask the questions your seeking answers to.

Was your engine the TA block that I saw at his shop mid-way through its' machine work a few weeks ago?

I was really shocked to see just how many Buick blocks were at his shop being built, with as little as people bring him up (besides our Norcal GN Buick club).
Kenny had a couple of TA blocks in his shop, mine was finished and on the dyno a couple weeks ago. I went out for the weekend and spent a couple days running, went down to the local station and purchased the E85 sure not easy stuff to find in CA in Wisconsin E85 is available at almost every station.

I know this.....after the bullshit I’ve heard about Weber this weekend....there is no way in Hell that I’d let that idiot touch my lawnmower let alone an aluminum engine.

I know this.....after the bullshit I’ve heard about Weber this weekend....there is no way in Hell that I’d let that idiot touch my lawnmower let alone an aluminum engine.
Yep I'm with ya

If people weren't chastized for telling the truth about "reputable" vendors, things like this could have been avoided...

I may have missed it but don't see Weber listed as a board vendor (?)

My point was more that if people weren't chastized for posting the truth about "reputable" vendors, things like this could be avoided.

But unfortunately there is more "mob mentality" when it comes to issues like that, so the person who is telling the truth gets chastized and torn apart rather than the focus being on the shady vendor and what they've done.