T56 Swap

No. With a clutch and a blowoff valve that works correctly, boost loss on the shift isn't as big of an issue as everyone thinks. It also helps that I have a 277" motor and a relatively small turbo.

Hey Mike sorry if I missed it, but what power brakes did you go back with? And do you think they work good?

Thanks

Bummer all the pictures are gone :( (Yes i know this is an old thread but still.... cool for sure)

When photobucket started charging years ago, I pulled all my pictures and shut off my account. I've still got all the pictures on my computer. I could round them up and send them to anyone who is interested (email me: edwardsmt@gmail.com). I'd love to go back through my old GN build and this T56 swap and update the pictures, but it's very time consuming and to much potential for it all to be lost again.

Here's a couple pics from my build to wet your appetite.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 83
  • 0 bytes · Views: 82
  • 0 bytes · Views: 97
What are you using for a flywheel and clutch setup? Is it a stock crank?
Whole setup came from Keisler which is now Silver Sport Transmissions. Aluminum flywheel with a RAM 9.5" twin disk. They sold me by saying that the aluiminum/twin disk would weigh similar to a steel flywheel with a single disk. I recommend getting a billet flywheel from TA. Its not terrible but there's a learning curve taking off smoothly.
I have the trans out of the car right now with hydro issues. I need to re-accomplish the depth and centerline measurements. I did put 350 miles on the T56 and it's a lot of fun, no regrets

Looking to get some help with this..
Can someone post a part number for the bell housing that allows mating the T56 to the Stage block?
Thanks...

image.jpg

As an alternative to the QuickTime bell housing , you could also use a manual transmission 78-88 G Body B.O.P. Bell Housing.
I found one locally for less than $200 recently.
Needed it to get an accurate reading with a dial gauge on flexplate for crankshaft run out check & correct probable misalignment to transmission input shaft from engine align hone/bore using offset dowell pins .

Attachments

• 20230519_205226.jpeg
    20230519_205226.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4071.jpeg
    IMG_4071.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 13
As an alternative to the QuickTime bell housing , you could also use a manual transmission 78-88 G Body B.O.P. Bell Housing.
I found one locally for less than $200 recently.
Needed it to get an accurate reading with a dial gauge on flexplate for crankshaft run out check & correct probable misalignment to transmission input shaft from engine align hone/bore using offset dowell pins .
RobbMc adjustable offset dowell pins for anyone that may be interested

Pretty sure silversport sells a complete kit now. Like EVERYTHING to make it work in our cars behind the v6's.

I was curious, so I got a quote from Silver Sport Transmissions for a complete conversion

$7,600 for a complete bolt in t56 magnum kit.

That's probably about right. I paid $6100 ten years ago.
One thing to think about is the Magnum is massive. My kit (for the Camaro, could very well be different with G body) came with a dropped crossmember to fit it under the stock tunnel. Unfortunately, that brings up its own issues with driveline angle and ground clearance. I chose to modify the crossmember to raise it up which meant cutting up the trans tunnel for more room.
A lot of folks are opting for the TKX 5 speed as it packages much easier.

That's probably about right. I paid $6100 ten years ago.
One thing to think about is the Magnum is massive. My kit (for the Camaro, could very well be different with G body) came with a dropped crossmember to fit it under the stock tunnel. Unfortunately, that brings up its own issues with driveline angle and ground clearance. I chose to modify the crossmember to raise it up which meant cutting up the trans tunnel for more room.
A lot of folks are opting for the TKX 5 speed as it packages much easier.
Well it will be a fun project to look forward too after I graduate college!

I love the buick powered camaro by the wayo_O