T Wheel Color

ROYAL_6

I have used the search feature on here, but I was not able to view some old threads (error code) or find the information I'm searching for. The question:

What color (silver/grey) are the T wheels? Has anyone found a color that matches the original T wheels? If so, what color/paint was it?

Or were the original T wheels just an unpainted aluminum cast color from factory?

Thanks in advance.

I believe "regular" 86-87 "T" Wheels were porous CAST Aluminum and weren't painted any color.... People always complained about how hard they are to keep clean because they were just rough cast aluminum. People have clear coated and also powder coated aluminum color and they look great..... HTH

aaron

I believe "regular" 86-87 "T" Wheels were porous CAST Aluminum and weren't painted any color.... People always complained about how hard they are to keep clean because they were just rough cast aluminum. People have clear coated and also powder coated aluminum color and they look great..... HTH

aaron
Hey, Royal-T-Ltd

I appreciate the response. I assumed the wheels were just a cast finished and not painted , but I wasnt sure. Thanks again.

Older GN's ('85 and older) had the same aluminum wheels as the T-Types.
Claude.
th.jpeg

They are just aluminum, what I use to keep mine clean is just aluminum wheel cleaner, spray it on while the wheels are cool
20210717_215753.jpg

There're a pain in the ass. I sprayed mine argent silver and clear coated.

There're a pain in the ass. I sprayed mine argent silver and clear coated.
I saw a few pics of other wheels painted with this color. It looks like it is a great match for the silver found on the chevy rally wheels. But the pics I saw online, it was difficult to see how dark of a silver it is. A few pics, it look like a dark silver. How did your wheels come out? Do you recommend that color? Thanks in advance.

I saw a few pics of other wheels painted with this color. It looks like it is a great match for the silver found on the chevy rally wheels. But the pics I saw online, it was difficult to see how dark of a silver it is. A few pics, it look like a dark silver. How did your wheels come out? Do you recommend that color? Thanks in advance.
I used Dupi-color Argen wheel paint and clear coat. Worked for me. The raw aluminum is a pain in that ass to keep clean. Cleaners are toxic. Dust just washes off the clear coat.

I used Dupi-color Argen wheel paint and clear coat. Worked for me. The raw aluminum is a pain in that ass to keep clean. Cleaners are toxic. Dust just washes off the clear coat.
Thanks, Pronto. Let me look it up.

You can always just pick up a can and test it on the back side to see the color.

I’m thinking of just getting the rims powder coated an aluminum color and be done with them. Any idea on cost?

Anyone have pics from different angles of what new 87 T rims are supposed to look like fresh and new?

I’m thinking of just getting the rims powder coated an aluminum color and be done with them. Any idea on cost?
I recently got a set of wheels powder coated for my daily... cost with them mounting and balancing new tires was $500 out the door.... this was just a single color. [i dunno if it matters , but these were 18" wheels.... nothing crazy]

HTH maybe give you an idea of cost. -- aaron

I recently got a set of wheels powder coated for my daily... cost with them mounting and balancing new tires was $500 out the door.... this was just a single color. [i dunno if it matters , but these were 18" wheels.... nothing crazy]

HTH maybe give you an idea of cost. -- aaron
That really doesn’t sound bad to me. Around here everything seems to be more expensive though.

That really doesn’t sound bad to me. Around here everything seems to be more expensive though.
Looking at a bunch of pictures it looks like maybe the splines had a faint brighter sheen to them? Wonder if I could clean them up the best I could and polish those splines and do a clear powder coat.

Looking at a bunch of pictures it looks like maybe the splines had a faint brighter sheen to them? Wonder if I could clean them up the best I could and polish those splines and do a clear powder coat.
The wheel in the photo was sandblasted then the spokes were lightly polished but it is not clear coated so you do have to maintain them. I do it about once or twice a year other than that it just gets regular washing. I don't daily the car and it only goes out in nice weather so that helps a lot. I would absolutely consider clear coating but I always seem to find other things to spend my money on :):rolleyes:
t-wheel w:trans am center cap.jpg