T-Type and Turbo T production numbers?

1LowLeSabre

I'm looking for a source for production number's on '87 T's. I found this on gnttype.org, but they do not look right............?

So do I have a Turbo T or just a base Regal Turbo? I thought WE4's were the all black Turbo-T and everything else was a Turbo-T?

GNX

547 Produced
276 HP @ 4400 RPM
360 ft-lbs of torque at 3000 RPM

Grand National (WE2)

20,193 Produced
245 HP @ 4400 RPM
355 ft-lbs of torque at 2000 RPM

Turbo T (WE4)

1,547 Produced <-----------------------?
245 HP @ 4400 RPM

Regal Limited w/ Turbo

1,035 Produced
245 HP @ 4400 RPM

Base Regal w/ Turbo

4,268 Produced <-----------------------?
245 HP @ 4400 RPM

WE4 was merely an option with the Turbo T cars,sometimes they are misunderstood as being their own model,such as grand national or regal limited.Check your VIN and see how it reads.I think mine read as a base regal?Can't remember for sure.

This is my car I just bought.

100_0473.jpg

Do you have chrome bumpers?

If you got a T type/Turbo T with the black out option from the factory, are the bumpers still chrome?I've seen photos of a few like the car pictured and some that have black bumpers.What was the real deal?

WE4 was merely an option with the Turbo T cars,sometimes they are misunderstood as being their own model,such as grand national or regal limited.Check your VIN and see how it reads.I think mine read as a base regal?Can't remember for sure.

You have it all wrong. First lets use the correct terminolgy when trying to answer the question accurately. The WE4 is it's own model. The VIN just doesn't say it. For example the Limited is it's own model through a unique VIN. The WE4 is the ONLY TRUE TURBO-T! Any other 1987 Regal with a turbo, including a black car with chrome bumpers is a TURBO REGAL.

So if the car in question isn't black with black bumpers and a gray bucket seat interior from the factory than it is one of the 4,268 TURBO REGALS built. I wish people would stop calling everything TURBO-T's. What the heck is wrong with TURBO REGAL? Kind of like some clueless hick calling your GN a GNX.

You have it all wrong. First lets use the correct terminolgy when trying to answer the question accurately. The WE4 is it's own model. The VIN just doesn't say it. For example the Limited is it's own model through a unique VIN. The WE4 is the ONLY TRUE TURBO-T! Any other 1987 Regal with a turbo, including a black car with chrome bumpers is a TURBO REGAL.

So if the car in question isn't black with black bumpers and a gray bucket seat interior from the factory than it is one of the 4,268 TURBO REGALS built. I wish people would stop calling everything TURBO-T's. What the heck is wrong with TURBO REGAL? Kind of like some clueless hick calling your GN a GNX.

Actually you have it wrong. If you want to get technical the name "Turbo T" didn't really apply to any TR. The name "Turbo T" was referenced in a bulletin back in 1986 that could be linked to a WE4 but at no time was the name "Turbo T" an official name of any TR that GM built. It was simply a Regal with a Turbo.

1987 Buick Turbo Regal​

"At the risk of ruffling feathers of some, I'll try and clarify the "Turbo T" package as Buick marketed it in 1987. Despite Buick dropping the T-Type designation for 1987, all the cosmetic and suspension options common to the T-Type were made available for any 1987 Regal with the standard 3.8-Liter V6. They did this by offering a "T" Package (option code Y56). This "T" Package consisted of the Touring Suspension; Leather wrapped Sport Steering Wheel, Turbo aluminum wheels, Eagle GT Tires, Fast Ratio Power Steering, Gas Shocks, and "T" ornamentation. For those who also wanted the black trim from the previous T-Type model, Buick offered the Exterior Sport Package (option code WO2). The WO2 option was available on any Regal, regardless of the engine.

Now, if you wanted a Regal with a turbo engine, you ordered the "Turbo Package" (option LC2). This package automatically included the "T" package (but not the WO2 Package). What you ended up with was a Regal with the "Turbo" and "T" Packages. Many have chose to call these cars "Turbo T's". However, no where in Buick's literature was there ever any mention of the term "Turbo T" until Buick released Product Information Bulletin 87-031 on November 15, 1986 entitled "Regal WE4 Turbo "T" Package. This bulletin announced the release of the WE4 as a "Special Turbo T Package" and made numerous references to the term Turbo T as unique to the WE4. Here is a direct quote from this bulletin: "The WE4 Turbo 'T' Package will enable you to merchandise a car that is similar in appearance, and yet lighter in weight, than today's Grand National. This reduction in weight theoretically makes the Turbo T faster than a Grand National, and for a lower price."

So, a 1987 Turbo Regal, without the WE2, Grand National or WE4 Turbo T option packages, really had no unique name. It was merely a Regal with the Turbo Package or a Turbo Regal, if you will. Now, having said all that, it certainly is no great sin to call a Turbo Regal a "Turbo T" because it's convenient to do so. It's just not technically correct." --RK

Turbofish,

I so love your posts. Your tone and attitude are a pleasure. :rolleyes:

Your knowledge and experience can be helpfull but not when delvered with the razor tongue.

Lighten up a little. ;)

Thank you GNBrett. I love my car. Just bought it Sunday. It's actually my first Regal/Turbo Regal/T-Type/Turbo-T.........Sheeew. Anwayway, like I tell all the guys at work, it's like a Grand National, just different.

I'll have some better pic up in the Member's section tomorrow.

Thank you GNBrett. I love my car. Just bought it Sunday. It's actually my first Regal/Turbo Regal/T-Type/Turbo-T.........Sheeew. Anwayway, like I tell all the guys at work, it's like a Grand National, just different.

I'll have some better pic up in the Member's section tomorrow.

Believe me I know about the drama pertaining to what to call ur car. I just called mine a T-Type. That was the only thing some people could relate to.

No one is going to have any idea what a Turbo T is. Your lucky to find someone who knows what a Grand National is.

So what does it have for modifications?

casper ultra chip, burned for green stripe injectors
ATR super pump
adjustable fuel regulator (atr)
ATR 14" cold air kit
TA 49 turbo with billet inlet
adjustable wastegate
green stripe 42 lb per hr injectors
160 thermostat
stock intercooler with entry screen removed

I wish people would stop calling everything TURBO-T's. What the heck is wrong with TURBO REGAL?

Nothing....just that no one "recognizes" what a Turbo Regal is....the insurance company doesn't know what a Turbo Regal is....most car guys don't even know....some think it's "just some sort of backyard shade-tree jimmy rigged car". When you say "T type" ears start to perk up...say "Grand National" and the eyes get wide....say "GNX" and their jaw drops. "Turbo-T" probably doesn't mean much of anything to the car guys but "Turbo Regal" probably means even less. My 2 cents.

This is my car I just bought.

100_0473.jpg

Dude you did well....very well....

casper ultra chip, burned for green stripe injectors
ATR super pump
adjustable fuel regulator (atr)
ATR 14" cold air kit
TA 49 turbo with billet inlet
adjustable wastegate
green stripe 42 lb per hr injectors
160 thermostat
stock intercooler with entry screen removed
Great looking car. Hope to see it at our Dyno day on the 14th. Glad to have another turbo guy in town. HiTec6

Guess I got lucky and found an 86-no question as to what it is that way :D That is a sharp looking car you found though!

"Turbo-T" probably doesn't mean much of anything to the car guys but "Turbo Regal" probably means even less. My 2 cents.

Dude you did well....very well....[/QUOTE]

I feel the same!!!

Thanks guy for all the complements.

As for the original question, it really doean't matter. Most people think that all T-Types were silver.