T-top panel replacement

We4ever

As you can see from the photos, my t-top area is a little shabby. I have a stainless replacement set for the panels and all new weather stripping. Has anyone here hone this job? I’d like to try and do it myself, but there seems to be a lot of gluing involved and I’m not sure how to proceed.

Attachments

• 474C0C5D-D2D1-4FC8-ABC7-AC5D2A29403C.jpeg
    474C0C5D-D2D1-4FC8-ABC7-AC5D2A29403C.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 50
  • 39467189-629A-4885-B8A8-2E00F7FC79B6.jpeg
    39467189-629A-4885-B8A8-2E00F7FC79B6.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
Yes there is a lot of gluing involved if you plan on replacing all of the weather strip. You also have to find a set of anti vibration strips ( the strips in your pics that appear dry rotted) but those just have the stick tape on the bottom of those. There have been many stories of the best fitting ttop seals on the market at the moment. I purchased a set of NOS GM seals and hope that I can install those correctly when the time comes. Believe it or not my largest area of rust was directly on the corner of the weather stripping in your second pic. The water just ran to that corner and collected under there. I plan on using the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Are you changing out the weatherstrip because of looks or are your ttops leaking? If it because of looks, I may let it ride until I get ready for a paint job, if it is leaking ,you see rust on your sunvisor screws or rust at the exterior bottom of your A-pillars then be prepared for the worst. I should have a few pics of it in this forum. Keep us posted on what you do and find.

The weather strip set I bought came with vibration strips. At this time the car does not leak, unless water is hitting the window sideways, like in a car wash. The car is garage kept and the middle section of the t-top is the only rust on it. Ive got the stainless panels to replace them. Inspecting under the old panels the header piece is shiny and black, only mild surface rusting in the corner where you described. It should be fairly strait forward to do, I just get nervous when glue is involved.

I paid to have a pro do mine and they ended up leaking, so do to that I would say read up and do them yourself. IIRC there was a real nice write up over on the MCSS website.

I need to do the same as I had the entire ttop section replaced that I purchased from Gbody. I believe they have a book for ttops that may have all the info required but I have not purchased it. I too purchased the stainless replacement set.

I’ll wait till I put the car up for the winter, gimme plenty of time to fix it if I mess something up, I’ll keep looking for some thorough documentation, I’ve never tried anything like this before

I need to do the same as I had the entire ttop section replaced that I purchased from Gbody. I believe they have a book for ttops that may have all the info required but I have not purchased it. I too purchased the stainless replacement set.

You know....I think I have that book hiding somewhere. I'd be happy to mail it to someone that'll use it for the price of shipping...if they would do the same for the next guy that needs it.

I think I need it! Just about everything in my windows and tops need replacing. If u got PayPal I can have the wife pay ya for shippin

I think I need it! Just about everything in my windows and tops need replacing. If u got PayPal I can have the wife pay ya for shippin
Just Pm me you address and I'll send it out, and just do the same for the next guy.