T&T from this past Friday - first time down the track with this car

Darkstar72

I went to the T&T as it was a last minute thing for a friend of ours that is moving away next week. Weather was not ideal for good numbers, but only day it wasn't scheduled for rain this weekend either. I was happy with the car for the weather conditions (76 degrees, felt like 90% humidity, thick/muggy air) and even happier that I left with the car in the same condition I showed up.

Car ran 12.41 at 106 mph. I don't have the time slip on me, but can update when I get home with the breakdown. I was leaving off the footbrake at 5 PSI and 20 lbs in the MT 235 drag radials. Almost all mods are in my sig.

I do plan to take it out again next month when weather condition will be cooler and the air drier for better power.

Here’s the slip.

518C585C-3D1A-4376-AE98-7FF582C79DA4.jpeg

So looking over old posts with pretty close matches to my combo they are all running in the 11s. Could the muggy, warm air have been holding me back that much? I will admit that my O2 on recall showed about 803 mv with 0.0 KR as I did tune it a bit fat to be on the safe side. Will the car really pick up that much if take some fuel out of it to lean it up a bit? I've also read that instead of adding timing (which seems to wake up a lot of peoples cars) it would be more beneficial to add boost. Is it OK to go up to 25 lbs of boost with the 42.5 lb injectors? Right now my alky gain is only set at 5.

I honestly thought this car should have turned 11s and I'm not disappointed it didn't while at the track since this was my first pass ever in this car and I didn't buy the car to blast down the track every other weekend. Now that I keep going through these old posts I'm thinking I'm doing something incorrect to keep this car out of the 11s. Thoughts? Suggestions?

The air will make some difference.
A power logger would let you know on injector duty cycle, but the 42.5 should be able to take you well into the 11s.
You will have to dial up the boost to run 11s I think. You should be able to run 25 psig no problem.
The standard advice applies, fuel system has to be solid, ignition good, tune has to be on.
Power Logger and wide band are the standard to help do that.

I know my fuel system is up to snuff. Both pumps, alky and fuel, about 3 months ago. Fresh plugs, fresh O2 sensor, and car runs smooth as silk on the street. It comes up on boost clean and moves out well blasting around town. I think I will try for 25lbs at the next track outing but before I’m going to leave everything the same to see what difference good air will make on the current set up.

I usually use my Christmas bonus every year for my spring upgrades. I do plan to get a Powerlogger along with a new set of injectors with the matching chip from TT. Still undecided on 60 or 80 lb injectors at this point. Also on that list is a wide band, but I don’t think I would want to run a dedicated A/F gauge in the car as I don’t want a highly modded looking car (try to to stay as stock appearing as possible). I would rather just input the sensor to the Powerlogger to monitor the AF.

I just saw Friday. No Byron, the grove?

No, this was at Route 66 in Joliet. Their last T&T of the season.

I had wanted to go out to Byron for the next outing but with the way this weather is going washing out every weekend I might just have to pick a weeknight for GLD.

Looking at just the slip it looks good. If you want to go 11s you need about 4-5lbs more boost and pick up a tenth on the 60ft should get you 11.80s-11.90s. Your boost should go up when you get better air too. But all the gain will be in how much boost you add and 60ft. High 1.5s arent that hard with these cars if the track is good.

The Buick club is planning on going to GLD Sunday the 6th if you can make it.

Sweet6...I just may do that if the weather holds out for that day. I’m so tired of being rained in every weekend. Thanks for the invite!

I think for now I’ll just leave the boost at 23psi and wait until I get Powerlogger and wideband installed before I really start trying to push it. I’m sure in better air I can get it lower into the 12s and I will try different launches to see how much boost I can leave off the line with.

So looking over old posts with pretty close matches to my combo they are all running in the 11s. Could the muggy, warm air have been holding me back that much? I will admit that my O2 on recall showed about 803 mv with 0.0 KR as I did tune it a bit fat to be on the safe side. Will the car really pick up that much if take some fuel out of it to lean it up a bit? I've also read that instead of adding timing (which seems to wake up a lot of peoples cars) it would be more beneficial to add boost. Is it OK to go up to 25 lbs of boost with the 42.5 lb injectors? Right now my alky gain is only set at 5.

I honestly thought this car should have turned 11s and I'm not disappointed it didn't while at the track since this was my first pass ever in this car and I didn't buy the car to blast down the track every other weekend. Now that I keep going through these old posts I'm thinking I'm doing something incorrect to keep this car out of the 11s. Thoughts? Suggestions?
You have no chance of running 11s on 23psi with what you have,which the mph indicates.with that boost range the car would have to run high timing and be lighter.to run 11s turn the boost up higher 26psi+ and target around 800mv on the scan master in 3rd.i had a car that went 10s on that 42.5 injector and twin 10s.it was no lightweight at 3800+lbs too.get the boost up with some timing and a good tire and hold on,you should target 1.5 60fts and 11s will be easy

Mr. Spool - thank you for the insight. I didn't really have an ET goal in mind, but it's nice to know I didn't hurt performance too much by adding some fuel through the chip. I have since reset the chip back to the settings it was burned with and will take it back to the track for little tweaking. I may turn the boost up to maybe 25 lbs just to see how she does there for a couple passes, but I think I would bring back it down to 23 psi tops for cruising the streets. I do plan to try to launch with higher boost on my next outing and lower the pressure a bit in the MT drag radials.

My car is definitely not lightweight since it is a 40/40 split leather bench with power front seat. It looks heavy just sitting there. LOL.

I was just curious what track times that beauty would do so once I scratch that itch I'm going to do my best to just keep my happy ass at the cruise nights/car shows with the occasional street blast against some Mustangs or Chargers. I've gone down the path of living at the track/chasing ETs and my wallet got pretty light during those years. I don't have that luxury anymore with kids and life responsibilities.

I went back to the track today with much friendlier turbo weather. Left the tune exactly the same but went from 6 to 7 on the gain knob for alky. Track was packed so I only got 2 runs in. First pass it spun pretty bad on the line and ran a 12.58. Not thrilled. I think the bozo in front of me dragged a bunch of water up to the line.

Since I knew it was going to take at least an hour to get another pass in I just went straight back into the staging lanes. It actually took over 2 hours to get a second pass in. Took the tire pressure down to 17 lbs and did a more conservative burn out. Was having a hard time holding over 8 lbs of boost at the line but still got a new best of 12.07 @ 108 MPH.

I’m content now with the current set up and may go back to the track when I start to make changes next spring (new injectors, new chip, wideband, etc).