T&D rocker arm adjustment

NY_GN

Planning next secret evil upgrade
Completing rebuild and installing T&D rockers with 212 comp cam. Adjusting valve lash went according to spec for all but cylinder 1 intake. The cup on that rocker is recessed alot further than all the others.

Is this gonna be an issue? Anyone run into similar issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-123101_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-123101_Gallery.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 65

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Is this gonna be an issue?
Could be. Roll the engine over, and check to see if the rocker is hitting the rod.
Where is the adjuster nut, compared to the exh ?
How does the intake exposed screw compare to the other cyls?
Odd ball p rod length?
Odd ball adjuster?
Intake valve stem longer? { Valve sunk into the seat?}

NY_GN

Could be. Roll the engine over, and check to see if the rocker is hitting the rod.
Where is the adjuster nut, compared to the exh ?
How does the intake exposed screw compare to the other cyls?
Odd ball p rod length?
Odd ball adjuster?
Intake valve stem longer? { Valve sunk into the seat?}
Exhaust isn't to far off, both are a few threads above all the others arms. All the other arms are within 1 to 2 threads. They are both riding the valve correctly as well.
Probably gonna get 2 shorter rods.

I guess could be longer valves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-160444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-160444_Gallery.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 36

PSID6

Exhaust isn't to far off, both are a few threads above all the others arms. All the other arms are within 1 to 2 threads. They are both riding the valve correctly as well.
Probably gonna get 2 shorter rods.

I guess could be longer valves.
I would pull the rockers off and put a straight edge across the valves to see what your dealing with. Measure your pushrods to make sure they are the length stamped. Also what diameter are your pushrods? Verify your pushrod clearance around the pushrod hole in the head.

ttypewhite

Without knowing what cam and lifters you are running it could be that the lifter isn't pumped up with oil if it's a hydr roller, or the lifter is a dud. If its a solid, start tearing it down and measure all your pushrods.

NY_GN

I'm gonna swap out lifters to see if thats the issue and remeasure the rods.
I would pull the rockers off and put a straight edge across the valves to see what your dealing with. Measure your pushrods to make sure they are the length stamped. Also what diameter are your pushrods? Verify your pushrod clearance around the pushrod hole in the head.
Gonna pull the rocker, I'll give that a shot. dia is 5/16.

NY_GN

Without knowing what cam and lifters you are running it could be that the lifter isn't pumped up with oil if it's a hydr roller, or the lifter is a dud. If its a solid, start tearing it down and measure all your pushrods.
212 Comp cam & comp cam 853 lifters. I'm gonna swap out a set of lifters to see if thats the issue.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
It's probably worth the effort to check the lifters. I had a brand new one from Morel that was missing several needle bearings in the wheel. I found that by happenstance. I'm sure there would have been an issue with it being "low". After that it makes sense to look at the valve heights and pushrod lengths.

NY_GN

Pulled It and it was the lifter. Need to order a single one now. Thanks for the help.

NY_GN

Funny how J*gs is advertising the exact part I need right above my post, but can't get my freeze plugs I ordered last year

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
I’m pretty sure as long as you do not exceed 3 complete turns in or out from flush you should be good. If it is close to 3 I would look into a longer or shorter push rod

NY_GN

I’m pretty sure as long as you do not exceed 3 complete turns in or out from flush you should be good. If it is close to 3 I would look into a longer or shorter push rod
Ya, all the others are about 1.5 turn out from flush. This one was like 4, so new lifter enroute. I swapped another lifter and it measured good.