Sway bar rattle

Tori

After 3 years i've finally discovered the rattle in the rear of my car. :banghead:

The rear sway bar is contacting the bottom of the differential housing. Anyone else had this issue ? Been driving me nuts.

Anyway to position it downward some ? There is currently only about 3/16" of clearance.

Last edited:
I had to us a 1/2" spacer with longer grade 8 bolts when I went from stock to a 9" rear end so my HR bar would clear the jack pad / drain plug .

Sounds like someone may have placed a floor jack underneath sometime in the past.

I'll give it a better look at what it may take to lower it. Maybe there will be some slop in the bolt holes that will help enough.

Wedge something in there until you can get a 2x4 between the pig and the bar. Jack up the car and then use the 2x4 to bend the swaybar down until it clears. Mine only has about 3/4" - 1" of clearance.

See if all four of your mounting bolts are tight. It is not uncommon for them to back off with an upgraded bar and it squirm around where you don't want it.

If they are tight, back them off and push the rear most area of the bar as far down as it will go. Then lock the bolts down.

Updating this ..... put the car back in the air, put a huge crow bar between pumpkin and the bar (like 40" bar) and was able to flex the bar but not bend it. I was putting so much leverage on it i was afraid i would break the pumpkin. (aren't they cast steel?) Anyway, that didn't appear to be an option so i then loosened the bolts holding it to the lower arms and that got me maybe 3/8" or so clearance. Since i had all the tools in hand at that point i figured i'd take the bar off and drive around with it for a bit and see if that indeed was the noise. So far after one test drive it's been quiet.

I'm going to wire wheel it while it's off and paint it as it's rather rusty from living back east in it's prior life. I didn't notice a big difference in handleing with it off, any thoughts on what it'll effect if i leave it off ? I know i may have more body roll, but i'd rather have the car ride nice than handle in a slalom course.

Here is how close it was.
IMG_7240.JPG

Last edited:
Don't think leaving it off is the best idea. Might consider replacing it with an after-market unit.

Pretty sure some clod placed a floor jack under it & raised the car. Maybe during a tire change, or rotation. There isn't much room to place the jack under the differential without hitting the bar.

PS. 3/8" clearance is probably sufficient.

Thanks JM, why do you think leaving it off is a bad idea ? Most cars do not come with them, and i'd bet most Regals didn't come with them. I was thinking the 3/8" might be enough too, it's not like if it isn't i don't have several other options. Pretty easy thing to experiment with.

I believe most rear wheel drive vehicles with some form of sport/touring suspension did have anti-sway bars.

Wouldn't want to hear about you taking a turn & have the rear-end of the car handle poorly enough to possibly swap ends. Don't know how bad it could be.