Swapped to a 4L80E

Otto J

Should have it all buttoned up tonight or tomorrow.
The 2004R I built for my car has worked flawless but I broke a few driveshaft yokes and the last one broke the trans case.
Over all the installation wasn’t bad
required a shorter driveshaft
I ran -8 trans lines ( you could modify your stockers to work)
Drilling the crossmember for the new mount location
A bell housing adaptor plate (I used the thick Trans-Capt one)
New dipstick
Some body seam massaging
Trans controller if staying automatic (I am using the TCI EZ-TCU which piggybacks the XFI)
I used an after market linkage kit that allowed the use of my stock shifter/cable ( could make something to use the stock one)

As far as trans mods, I did a CK input shaft and forward clutch hub and a D3 transbrake valvebody(which allows transbrake use in drive for auto shiftng)

All that is left is is the TCU install tonight or tomorrow.

It is heavier than th 2004R by I believe 60#s (that symbol is pounds for all you millennial hashtag guys)

Attachments

• 5542EEF8-AD94-4E07-9004-E59EE495B7FF.jpeg
    5542EEF8-AD94-4E07-9004-E59EE495B7FF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 172
what did you do for the converter?
PTC 17 blade non lockup from Bison.
I contemplated using a different convertor and trying lockup but I didn’t want to start
Playing a convertor game when I can buy what I know works on my combo

PTC 17 blade non lockup form Bison,
I contemplated using a different convertor and trying lockup but I didn’t want to start
Playing a convertor game when I can buy what I know works on my combo

Just took the car out for the first ride. Cruised in on and off the highway for 20 miles or so.
Totally impressed with the setup. Trans shifts up and down so nice, timing is perfect as well as shirt
Firmness. No clunky up or down shift.
So glad I did this

Should have it all buttoned up tonight or tomorrow.
The 2004R I built for my car has worked flawless but I broke a few driveshaft yokes and the last one broke the trans case.
Over all the installation wasn’t bad
required a shorter driveshaft
I ran -8 trans lines ( you could modify your stockers to work)
Drilling the crossmember for the new mount location
A bell housing adaptor plate (I used the thick Trans-Capt one)
New dipstick
Some body seam massaging
Trans controller if staying automatic (I am using the TCI EZ-TCU which piggybacks the XFI)

I used an after market linkage kit that allowed the use of my stock shifter/cable ( could make something to use the stock one)

As far as trans mods, I did a CK input shaft and forward clutch hub and a D3 transbrake valvebody(which allows transbrake use in drive for auto shiftng)

All that is left is is the TCU install tonight or tomorrow.

It is heavier than th 2004R by I believe 60#s (that symbol is pounds for all you millennial hashtag guys)
I'm in the process of doing this swap, which linkage kit did you use? I think I have everything else under control.

Bob

Awesome, thank you for the feedback on this setup! I've been considering the same vs. spending a bunch of cash on a 200r4, but didn't find a lot about folks doing so already. All in all, do you have a rough idea of all the cost you'd put into the conversion? I'm not looking for massive power over say 500-600hp, but really looking for a more capable modern overdrive and driving experience. Any options for a stock ecu interface for the trans controller? Did you end up having to replace any sections of the tunnel to make it fit or nothing a hammer couldn't fix (image not working for me)?

I'm in the parts gathering phase. I'm going to document it all.
Basically a stock 4L80E with a shift kit is good to 700+ hp.
There are some budget controller schemes using GM controllers, but the Microsquirt kit will work standalone as well as with the ecuGN. The FAST/TCI stuff might also do that.
Beyond that its an adapter plate, driveshaft mod, crossmember mod, and a torque converter.

I will revise this as I make progress, I'll likely cross-post on Fakebook, but posts and info on there always get buried and are hard to find later on.

Bob

I'm in the parts gathering phase. I'm going to document it all.
Basically a stock 4L80E with a shift kit is good to 700+ hp.
There are some budget controller schemes using GM controllers, but the Microsquirt kit will work standalone as well as with the ecuGN. The FAST/TCI stuff might also do that.
Beyond that its an adapter plate, driveshaft mod, crossmember mod, and a torque converter.

I will revise this as I make progress, I'll likely cross-post on Fakebook, but posts and info on there always get buried and are hard to find later on.

Bob
Subscribed, if you continue this thread or start a new one.

My last 4L80E was in my 8T6 t-Type/LS turbo build.
I used the column shifter, modified the x member. Some welding but fairly straightforward
deal. I may still have some pics.
And no, no tunnel mods for 4L. 6L is a different deal. I do suggest trimming the tunnel pinchweld.

How much tunnel work did you have to do?
Not sure yet, I’m still going to have my 200 refreshed for the new engine and start putting together the project for the 6l80, but whatever it takes we’re gonna jam it in one way or another haha