Suspension Upgrade Discussion - TruTurn/TRZ R&P/etc.

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Getting ready to spend my children's inheritance.

Front will be Ridetech TruTurn front control arms with their coil-overs. Maybe their MuscleBar sway bar but may make my own with splined shaft and spherical bearings. Also looking at 10 x 18 CCW with 275-35-18 BFG Rivals. Thinking about TRZ (Flaming River) rack & pinion steering to loses some weight on front. Have massaged fender wells and tweeked e-brake cable on drivers side for biggr tires. Currently running 245-40-18 on 8.5 Vette wheels (spacer)...tire rubs Hotchkis front sway bar only.

Rear will have existing HRParts Insane rear control arms with spherical bearings, HRP rear drag bar (may change to Hellwig or UMI Pro-Tour bar or make my own per above. 11 or 12 x 18 CCW with Rivals. Rear frame rails shaved.

I have created an Excel file (converted to .PDF) on available chassis-mounted ear sway bars. See below.
Conrad
North Carolina
conrad0320@gmail.com

Jeez man, that's about my exact set-up, even the going from HandR bar to the rear hellwig. I went with the hellwig for the front though. The tru-turn is insane. I can't describe the change of feeling. It just feels so weird how it takes turns now...just sure bliss. How it grips the road while maintaining a cushiony ride is unreal.

Raf,
That is very encouraging! Please, tell us exactly what you did to your car. Shocks, springs, wheels, tires, etc. Problems?
Conrad

Rear is HandR upper/lowers/bar. moog 5658 springs, Qa1 single adjustables. The H and R bar mounts are chewing threw my exhaust. I accept the blame for that one. I should have been more careful checking clearances. I plan to switch to the hellwig because it have a little more give than the H and R so I think it will be better for handling. According to mark @ SCandC the HandR can cause the tail to come around on a real hard turn.

Front is Tru-turn, except my buddy that was installing didn't use the Tie-rods that came with it. He thought they were for air-ride or something :confused:. Anyway I went with the single adj ridetech coilovers, and all new moog stuff like tie-rods, idler, and steering linkage, etc as well as a new steering box. The ride just feels insanely great now. On a hard turn I did get a slight rub somewhere on the passenger side, but I couldn't determine if it was the rear or front. If it's the front, I can just jack up the adjustable height coilovers, or stiffen it a bit. If it's the rear I can adjust the QA1's ones, or inflate my tires a little more. It seems like I lost turning radius though and I'm not sure what to attribute that to :confused:. It's not a big deal to me though, except for the fact I'll look like an idiot trying to park the car until I get used to it.

Tires and wheels: The wheels are 15x8 w/ 4" BS all around. It seems like I could use a little stronger BS in the front, but the rears look perfect. Tires are 275/60/15 rear, and ....and...well I don't know the front off hand. Maybe 245/50/15? They seem to be getting the job done.

When cash allows I plan to get 17's. Probably 17x9 all the way around with 255's front and 275's rear, Nitto NT05's.

My 245-40-18's in front were rubbing driver side heelwells (the plastic liner) so I have modified front and rear of the wheelwell. Front cuts easy enough. Made an aluminum cover to keep rain where it belongs. See photos.

Also pulled speedo cable closer to frame by grinding on the frame opening some and pulling cable rearward with big zip-tie! This allows the wheelwell to hug the frame better. Worked.
Conrad

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    549.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    697 KB · Views: 241
  • Tire Clearance - DS - Speedo Cable - Before.jpg
    Tire Clearance - DS - Speedo Cable - Before.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
  • Tire Clearance - DS - Speedo Cable - Mid Process - Zip Tie Not Tightened.jpg
    Tire Clearance - DS - Speedo Cable - Mid Process - Zip Tie Not Tightened.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 254
  • Tire Clearance - DS-Speedo Cable - Finished.jpg
    Tire Clearance - DS-Speedo Cable - Finished.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 233
  • Tire Clearance - DS-Speedo Cable - finished-1.jpg
    Tire Clearance - DS-Speedo Cable - finished-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
Come on Scot! Get your TruTurn install DONE and get us some feedback and photos! We want to see if 275-35-18 (9.5-10" wide wheels) will fit in front!!! I've already prepped the fender liners for more clearance!! Anyone fit 12 x 18 wheels with 3xx-30-18 tires in back with shaved frame rail and trimmed wheel opening trim?
Conrad

Raf,
Are you aware that Ridetech has revised the TruTurn for shorter turning radius with Buicks? They prototyped the control arms on a Monte Carlo but had to modify it to work on Buicks. There are apparently some small differences between the tow chassis.

I would suggest 18"diameter wheels especially for front so rim will clear the upper control arm ball joint stiffeners. Also, better selection of great tires for 18" wheels.
Conrad

Yeah, I have the new arms. They still have to go on. 15's are staying on for a while. I thought 18.s would look to big, but I've seen a few examples that proved otherwise. I just don't want to give up too much straight line traction.

I have Ridetech's MuscleBar on my GN and LOVE it! 1.5" diameter! Detroit Speed's chassis braces fit fine!!
Conrad