Surface gap spark plugs?

lost2a6

Have any of you looked into using surface gap plugs in our turbo Buicks? My father is a retired outboard motor mechanic and I remember as a kid, some of the mid 70's Johnsons used the surface gap plugs and from what I understand, this type plug is used to practically eliminate detonation.

Surface gap are very hard on sec ignition.Most outboards used a solid core wire in those days.

Kevin

Side gap and retracted gap plugs are other designs to look into.
The further the spark is hidden or backed away from the a/f mixture, the harder to light the mixture off and the more chance for ignition miss. You want to use a plug that is safe for the application, but not overly so that lighting off the mixture becomes a problem for the particular application.
In a gasoline application, particularly in applications where street driving may also be included, plug fouling, or the ability of the spark plug not to foul out too quickly also has to be taken into account.

I have run suface gap plugs in a road race car for several years (champion A 53 V & QA 55V with out any
problems. I would not run them on the street because they do foul easily The ignition is BMS 1987 vintage
Steve