Super hard brake pedal. Very sketchy to drive

I would convert to vacuum brakes. It's cheap and easy to install. I just converted my GN to vacuum about 8 months ago and works great. I have installed Hydroboost setups on a few customer's cars and it works great also but it's a lot more complicated and expensive. JMHO

How hard is it to change out the poweastet to a hydro boost? I’m pretty handy under the hood. I’m no certified mechanic But is it something I could do in my garage?

Hydroboost is much more involved (and expensive) that vacuum. It also has a pretty good track record of showing a power steering pump that doesn't have enough ass to run the steering AND the brakes. (then you learn that no parts store PS pumps have enough ass either).

Vacuum is a lot easier to convert (and cheaper). Here's a step-by-step I wrote year ago when I make a kit to convert my GN over.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/vacuum-brake-conversion.438078/

For now you can check your fuses while you decide what to convert to. I had a bad fuse that gave me a hard pedal. Ultimately I went with vacuum brakes and they are working well. I got a junkyard pedal and brake system for a Camaro (I think, it's been years) from the part store. I believe I had around $150 in the swap. Take your seat out if it's not already mentioned in the links they provided. Good luck man and don't sweat it, we've all been there.

Regardless, do something with the power master. Paperweight maybe. Mine gave out at 60mph on a highway approaching a red light