Powerlogger cable - tips or slick way to route?

mblum

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
So I've been driving the car a lot and when I'm by myself I have the laptop in the passengers seat and have been using the powerlogger a lot to monitor/log and watch for issues. The USB cable running from the powerlogger to the laptop plugs in through one of the factory openings in the plastic kick panel that hides the ECU, which works fine.

I wanted to see if anyone has a unique way of routing the cable from the ECU powerlogger connection in which the cable can be hidden or stored in the glovebox for example while still leaving it plugged in to the ECU? Right now if I have the cable plugged in I could see a passengers foot hitting it and possibly damaging it, so I just unplug it each time I have a passenger.

Maybe this is my only option, but I figured it's worth asking if anyone has come up with something better?

Depending on the PL set-up, I leave mine connected. I have the newer designed PL with the plugs going sideways if that makes sense.

I ran the I/O cord & the USB cord to the PL being held in place by the kick panel trim piece….again if that makes sense.

Then I ran the cord to the I/O board & the usb cable the same way behind the glovebox, use the little dip area in the center of the glovebox to keep it in the glovebox. That way the wire is in the glovebox yet I can still close it without pinching the USB.

Sorry I don’t have any pics of it. Sure my description sounds like shit🤣🤣😬!

My plug is perpendicular to the kick panel and not angled, which would make keeping it plugged in possible I guess. The powerlogger was already in the car when I bought it so I'm not sure of its age.
20220429_204141.jpg

I see. Yeah you have an older style. Mine points toward the pass. seat.

Not sure if they make one but you could see if a 90* plug to work. Or possibly take the USB End through the slot, then go behind the trim piece, behind the dash, & into glovebox.

Downside would be you’d have the plug nubbin’ outbid the footwell a bit. You could keep it plugged in & hidden though.

I fill your pain. I went to a new ScanMaster 2 that connect with Bluetooth. Just to get the cable out of the footwell
It’s me I’m sure but I found logging and talking through Bluetooth was not to reliable.
I just quit using the laptop for anything but the drag strip and no passenger can step on it.
Cell phones is distracting enough let alone all the key strokes you need to do on the laptop on the drag strip.
Do I have a solution No,but the printer cable on Amazon might be your ticket, but mr. Police man might give you one for a open laptop.

I do try to avoid using the laptop too much while driving to avoid distraction, really don't want to pile up the car especially after all the work I put into this damn thing.

Lately while working on the tune I like to have the PL set to automatically start logging with any KR whatsoever, that way if I look over after a run and see it recording I know to stop and take a look at the log, I find it hard to watch the scanmaster all the time.

I'm going to give this one a try and see if I can get it behind the kick panel. Thanks for the input.
90 degree printer USB

I'm going to give this one a try and see if I can get it behind the kick panel. Thanks for the input.
90 degree printer USB
That's what I use on mine . It sticks out just a little with the cable pointing forward then dives under the carpet to go where ever I want under the dash . I also used a USB extension and routed it under the passenger side console with a small coil next to the passenger seat out of sight for logging on the laptop

I'm routing my through the dashboard, into the center console, and then I'm creating a custom switch plate that I'm a flush mount usb connector to. The connector then is connected to the powerlogger cable. When I want to use my Power Logger, I just flip up the ash try cover, and plug into the panel mount USB.

I'm going through a few iterations because I also have a USB thumb drive plugged into 1 of the 2 USB ports, that then allows my stereo to play all the music on my USB...I'll post some pics when its done, but still in the "prototyping" phase as I need to recess the panel mount in the switch plate so that there is proper clearance.

If I had access to a 3D printer than that would be the best approach, but right now i'm using sheet metal...