Suggestions of things to add to site

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
This thread is for people to let me know things they'd like to see added back/to the site. If you come in here and p!ss me off, Ill ban you from the thread. You have been warned.

So, list what you'd like to see and it doesn't necessarily have to have been on the other forum. There are so many mods out for VB4 and a lot of the VB3 mods were never ported over.

So far I have added:

Better spam protection
Separate stickies
Thread level user banning

I dont know at what rate Ill get this stuff added but Id like to have a list to work through. Please dont mention the search. We're doing something different there to lighten the server load. Probably be live tomorrow or Tuesday.

choice of skins (color scheme) I beleive the local car board i was on was a similar version and had this option as well as mobile skin. I think the mobile skin would be very popular. Thanks.

choice of skins (color scheme) I beleive the local car board i was on was a similar version and had this option as well as mobile skin. Thanks.

Im not an artist so skins are something I cant do. They also cost quite a bit to have done by the people who do do skins so multiple skins isnt an option. A "cheap" skin runs about $500. Quality skins run anywhere from $1000-2000.

Don't know if it's an add or an issue, but I can read my PM's but it says I've got 9 messages and only see 8. I believe it's a friendship request but haven't found out how to get to it.

1. Get only forums you wish to subscribe
2. On the reply line during the threads there was a link that takes you to the top.
3. Great job on the new layout!

\

Jay,Did we loose the search engine with the new layout?Seems I searched something and there was nothing?

id like the todays posts back in the quick links tab and one section for picture request as in something is mising on your car and you need a pic of the area or you forget how something gos back together. i think it would be helpful. thanks

some forums put a little check mark next to each thread that you have posted in. that shouldn't be that hard to add..

Jay,Did we loose the search engine with the new layout?Seems I searched something and there was nothing?

Temporarily, yea. We're going to do something MUCH better for searching. Its a standalone product that interfaces very well with VB, its just going to take some doing to set up. Its on the top of the list tho.

how about I-trader?

This is not very high on my list because it adds database bloat and extra queries which slows down the forums. Not to mention that modification wasnt maintained very well. However, Im going to look for an alternative and see whats out there. When I say there are a lot of mods for VB, thats an understatement.

First off....Thanks for your hard work!

Could a quick link to the last page of new posts be added?

I usually open 2 tabs or windows and read the posts from the first and last page until I meet in the middle somewhere. Helps save some time when there are 13 or more pages of "new posts".

No big deal if it can't, I can work around it.

Will most members previous posts (old board) be carried over to the new board?

First off....Thanks for your hard work!

Could a quick link to the last page of new posts be added?

I usually open 2 tabs or windows and read the posts from the first and last page until I meet in the middle somewhere. Helps save some time when there are 13 or more pages of "new posts".

No big deal if it can't, I can work around it.

Will most members previous posts (old board) be carried over to the new board?

Everything is migrated that will be migrated but if we lost any posts, it wasnt very many.

I dont understand what youre asking for about the last post. Can you explain it to me a little better?

1) The COLORS! - Jay i'm not sure if you plan on tweaking the colors of the layout but I think a "Black" background would look Much better instead of the grey... I know it would really make this new site layout look much better than all the different Grey's over each other.

2) Trader Ratings! - I know you mentioned this before and the bloat the old one caused, but it was a nice feature for people buying parts because it gave them something to view before purchasing so they didn't get ripped off.. Hope you can find a newer version that is much easier that causes less bloat on the system so members can have a piece of security when buying parts again.

Other than those things It looks great! I say try the Black background for a day and see what everyone thinks, if they like it, leave it...

Below the First image is the version as it is right now, and the Second image is how it would look in Black...

Scot W.

Attachments

• NewTBSkinSample1.jpg
    NewTBSkinSample1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 235
  • NewTBSkinSample.jpg
    NewTBSkinSample.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 239
1) The COLORS! - Jay i'm not sure if you plan on tweaking the colors of the layout but I think a "Black" background would look Much better instead of the grey... I know it would really make this new site layout look much better than all the different Grey's over each other.

2) Trader Ratings! - I know you mentioned this before and the bloat the old one caused, but it was a nice feature for people buying parts because it gave them something to view before purchasing so they didn't get ripped off.. Hope you can find a newer version that is much easier that causes less bloat on the system.

Other than those things It looks great! I say try the Black background for a day and see what everyone thinks, if they like it, leave it...

Scot W.

To change the background, it would be a pretty big undertaking as all the text would have to be altered, etc. This new layout was shown WEEKS ago and everyone was fine with it until it went live.

Im looking for an alternative to iTrader. That was such a cobbled together piece of junk for VB3, Im not sure it was ever ported to VB4.

To change the background, it would be a pretty big undertaking as all the text would have to be altered, etc. This new layout was shown WEEKS ago and everyone was fine with it until it went live.

Im looking for an alternative to iTrader. That was such a cobbled together piece of junk for VB3, Im not sure it was ever ported to VB4.
I mentioned this Weeks ago when this first came out as a sample but it was over looked.. I would have showed you the link but after going to my previous posts ALL my old posts are gone except the two that I posted here recently....:( That needs to be fixed as it is always nice to go back and view something I posted..

Oh well, it was a suggestion. I do really think the background would look MUCH better than all these grey's on top of each other...

SW.

From what I see Only the few "Black" lettered words would have to be changed and their isn't too many of those. Most of everything else is encased in a box which will stay exactly the same along with the white lettered words that are up.

SW.

From what I see Only the few "Black" lettered words would have to be changed and their isn't too many of those. Most of everything else is encased in a box which will stay exactly the same along with the white lettered words that are up.

SW.

I realize it may appear that way but thats not the case. All of the gradients would have to be changed. It would be a pretty big undertaking. Like Ive said in other threads, skins for VB are expensive. I can copy this one and play with changing the background and text colors but I doubt I ever get it to look right. There is so much that can be configured appearance wise in the backend, it takes someone that pretty much only does this kind of stuff for a living to make it look right. Its also why people who do this stuff stay so busy. If it was that easy, everyone could do it.

I too would like to see an assortment of skins. I got used to the yellow and red.
From what I see (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/95-vBulletin-Style-Packs?) you can get free skin packs and if you search for skins in google a whole slew of websites pop up.
Is there something with the VB version installed that prohibits the use of free skins? I guess you want some level of identity so you need some modification of a skin?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.