Suggestions for monitoring oil pressure

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by Coelacanth, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Coelacanth

Coelacanth
    Expand Collapse

What are some suggestions for monitoring oil pressure? It need not be a separate gauge; ideally I'd probably want to feed a transducer signal wire into my ALDL Bluetooth adapter so I can monitor it while driving with my cellphone. Thanks!

2. Turbo6inKY

Turbo6inKY
    Expand Collapse
    Short Guy

I got a 0-100psi transducer from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-tra...8-1-spons&keywords=0-100+psi+transducer&psc=1

Then I got a turbo oil feed/drain line kit from GN1: http://www.gn1performance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ATurboOilFeedandReturnKit

Then I went to my local speed shop and got a AN union with a 1/4 NPT tap to put the sensor in (link goes to example, make sure you get the right size): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at100199erl/overview

I installed the tap on the outlet of the filter, installed the transducer in the tap, then I wired it to my Powerlogger.

3. TurboBuRick

TurboBuRick
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

By the time you pull out the phone and open the app it will prolly be too late.

Get a gauge. They make a real nice console pod that looks factory. You can put a temp gauge next it.

4. Charles Young

Charles Young
    Expand Collapse
    C Young

Why in the world would you want to monitor oil pressure on your phone? Maybe you are kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Coelacanth

Coelacanth
    Expand Collapse

Kidding? Nope...1320electronics ALDL Bluetooth adapter, ALDLdroid app, some wiring and you can monitor and log everything a Scanmaster can, almost in real-time, on any Android device...for less than half of the price. :)

[​IMG]

6. Charles Young

Charles Young
    Expand Collapse
    C Young

If you are talking about data logging I guess that's one thing but if you are talking about monitoring (meaning "looking at it") oil pressure while you are driving down the road, using a cell phone just seems like a bad idea. A permanently mounted gage that is always in the car just seems a lot better. What happens when you leave your phone at home, or it slides off the console then you have no oil pressure gage?
    I don't know, I guess I'm just old and don't see it.

7. Coelacanth

Coelacanth
    Expand Collapse

Why? It will display oil pressure in real-time, right on my tablet, as shown above. Originally, there's no oil pressure or temperature monitoring whatsoever, so being able to see it in real-time on a nice, visible LCD display while driving, and probably even be able to configure alarm set-points, is just as good as adding a gauge...or better...and much better than having nothing, for sure. I've recently added electric fuel pressure and boost gauges, and I'll be tapping into those 2 signal wires, running them to my ALDL adapter so that they too will be monitored real-time on the same nice, clear display.

I did a mod for the tablet/cellphone mount, using heavy duty Velcro tape to affix a smooth round acrylic plate to the front of the console, then attached the cellphone/tablet mount with the suction cup. It's been stuck there all summer. I admit the suction cup didn't stay stuck when attached directly to the console surface, however; probably because the soft vinyl surface was too pliable. Hell, it wouldn't even stay stuck with double-sided tape. But with my hard acrylic plate attached first, that issue was resolved.

8. Turbo6inKY

Turbo6inKY
    Expand Collapse
    Short Guy

"Looking at it" isn't good enough unless it's a street-only car, in which case the idiot light is plenty.

If you're racing it, you need to be logging. You can't look at a gauge while trying to drive the car. You log it. You review it after each run to make sure nothing's gone south. You can compare runs and figure out what the normal pressure drop due to heating is, and when you see it drop more than that between runs you know it's time to put the car on the trailer. It can be the difference between just swapping the bearings or pulling the motor and replacing the crank and rods.

Logging to a tablet or phone is cake now with a PowerLogger and the Scanmaster-G, and all the big aftermarket ECMs have a bluetooth option now. The good ones will let you set thresholds on stuff and blink at you when something is going the wrong direction. Automation is key. And permanent installation. If it's done right, that tablet is as permanent as any gauge.

9. Coelacanth

Coelacanth
    Expand Collapse

Right, the tablet is as good as any mounted gauge (better, IMHO), and I'll be wiring all signal wires into the ALDL Bluetooth adapter's serial port so all that data can be logged. I've already been logging all the default ALDL values for about 2 years now and have a ton of spreadsheets saved to computer, from baseline readings to when I added my custom intake, TurboTweak chip and AXiS interface, then this summer, upgraded fuel pump and hotwire kit. That's when I decided I needed to put in digital fuel pressure & boost gauges so I could view and log that data.