Stupid question

pkschul

Hey I realize this is a super basic question, but I need some advice.
I'm replacing my water pump today. I tried to break the bolts holding the pulley on the pump with the belt still attached but couldn't get them to budge without the belt slipping. I ended up removing the pump with the pulley still attached... needed to remove the intercooler fan to get it off.
I then put the pulley in the vice and got the bolts loosened. Now with the new one I'm planning to put the pulley back on after I install the pump. How can I get those pulley bolts tight? How do you stabilize the pulley wheel?

Also.... while I have all this stuff disassembled, any quick tips for doing anything else while I'm here? I realized that I forgot to buy a new S-tube from Kirbans. I'll get one of those now.
34431173185_ec884cceff_b.jpg

The bolts don't need to be "that tight"
Install water pump, Install pulley onto pump, tighten bolts as best you can, re-install belt.
Grip pulley with hand, 4 fingers around the backside, snug each one up. That's it

Thanks man. I was wondering about that. Someone really torqued on them, that's why I asked.
One more question...
anyone know the torque spec on water pump bolts? Is it that important or just snug them?

If at all possible put the belt back on in the same rotational direction that it originally was. Flipping them around can cause them to squeal.

Here you go (someone else put this together):

WaterPump.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

Make sure to clean up the long bolts and put sealant on the threads.

The short bolts need a thin film of anti-seeze.