Stumped, Rear axle out of alignment.

CzyKats44

This is the way.
Many years ago I bought speedway 91634057 rear control arm set for my '84 GN, good product. I removed them from the 84 after 2 problem free years and installed them in my '85 about 5 years ago, no issues. Recently the poly bushings were getting noisy so I pulled it all apart lubed the shit out of them with the energy suspension lube and reinstalled.

Everything back together, I set the car down on ramps and torque accordingly. I set it back on the ground and the driver side is an inch high. Everything is place, springs are in the seats, clocked by the book. Insulators up top are good. Lift again and disconnect the shocks pull springs and measure them, good. Swapped them on the install, driver side still high. Bounced w/o shocks and bumped it perpendicular some to side load the rear, no change. Removed the sway bar (sway bar arms are straight in comparison to each other. Frame looks fine no cracking or bent control arm mounts. Rehooked the shocks, lifted and back on the ramps, loosened and retorqued all the control arm bolts, sway bar install last. Back down ... one inch high on the driver side still.

Took it for a spin to get it to settle maybe ... no problems feel fine, still high on the drivers side. I parked it on a different spot and noticed the pass side is about 1.5-2 inches closer to the forward part of the fender and the drivers side looks to be slightly back some.

I did not change any parts, I've done this install by the factory manual at least 3 times now. WTF? These parts have been on 2 cars for approximately 7 years total with no problems.

(Yes the axle was straight before, no corrosion concerns on the frame rails, kirbans body bushing and bolt install 6 years ago, body bolt retorque 2 years ago)

I can suggest a not so easy check. Or you can take it to an alignment shop with a 4-wheel machine. AKA thrustliner.
This will confirm or deny the axle actually being in crooked, or?

Hey Chuck, thanks for the response. I've been considering the shop, I think I need to get it up on ramp lift and see it at ride height, where I can stand comfortably. What's the not so easy?

Hey Chuck, thanks for the response. I've been considering the shop, I think I need to get it up on ramp lift and see it at ride height, where I can stand comfortably. What's the not so easy?
Yes, you need to get it up in the air so you can get under it while the suspension is loaded. You'll probably see the problem immediately. If not, you can use this diagram and a tape measure to make sure the frame is square:

malibuframepic7ga.jpeg

You can also loosen all the control arm bolts and jounce it really good and see if it settles. You could have a bind in the bushings.

What's the not so easy?
I use the "triangulation" method.
The car is on stands, levelled, wheels off.
A string line is dropped from each corner to the floor, and the points marked.
The distance across the ft and rear is measured and center is marked.
A String line is pulled ft to rear on the center marks. Go 60" from the rear line, mark that point on the centerline string. From the outer rear marks, R&L, measure to the 60" mark. They should be the same.
A thrust line alignment machine will do the same thing... Just not as much fun!